The Student Room Group

Should the death penalty be brought back in the UK?

Poll

Should the death penalty be brought back in the UK?

??

Scroll to see replies

I m unsure, as people have been proven innocent of crimes many years later so it would have to be reserved for the most serious of crimes i think.
Reply 2
No. People should be given time to repent and be forgiven of their sins through faith in Christ. The death penalty might get in the way of this.
No,

We are all different weather it's for better or for worse.

The people who do the worst of crimes should be held in there cell for years on end to make them realise there doings.
No no and no.
Also, the death penalty could be a easy ride out for suicidal people.
Reply 6
No, in a country that makes assisted suicide illegal, it's slightly hypocritical for the state to be able to take your life when people are denied the right to take their own.
Reply 7
Isn't the right to life a fundamental human right?
Bloody citizenship GCSE right here.
No no no no, it should not be introduced back here. But interestingly enough, the campaign to abolish it at the time was not supported by the public much. Anyways, long story short, it's a deterrent but a damn stupid one. Too many cases of innocent people being killed, the morality too. There's also complications with who administers the injections, I think this is in America, but doctors cannot directly be involved, breach of oath etc. Basically it's a pain in the arse and isn't useful in UK in my opinion.
Reply 9
Original post by Trapz99
No. People should be given time to repent and be forgiven of their sins through faith in Christ. The death penalty might get in the way of this.

How so? It would take them directly to their maker where they can repent directly to Him.

In fact, we should all kill each other so we can go to heaven faster.
Human judgement can't be trusted. The idea of humans being in charge of life and death makes me feel very uncomfortable, so no.
Original post by z33
Isn't the right to life a fundamental human right?

Yes, but the Tories are already trying to repeal the Human Rights Act. Soon our human rights will be chopped and changed willy-nilly by Our Glorious Leaders.
Reply 12
Totally against the death penalty anywhere!
In all terms NO.
The society overpowers a condition they hold when they can. Ever since a new law / punishment comes along the society overrules until it is abolished.
Reply 14
Original post by JordanL_
Yes, but the Tories are already trying to repeal the Human Rights Act. Soon our human rights will be chopped and changed willy-nilly by Our Glorious Leaders.

Is it :eek: they can't do that if we stay in the EU can they? X_X am movin to Canada who's comin?
No, thank you. I want to be able to sleep at night.
I am firmly against the death penalty. Not only has it been proven not to in any way reduce the crime rates, it is incredibly expensive (using current methods) and it is completely inhumane and is in makes the government no way better then the criminal.
I'm not sure tbh, I just think the most serious crimes should just get life sentences or life imprisonment to stop them re offending.
Besides, what caused the great crime decline of the 1990s both here and in the US? I very much doubt it was the death penalty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
I m unsure, as people have been proven innocent of crimes many years later so it would have to be reserved for the most serious of crimes i think.

this is my point that only terrorism, murder, human trafficking, major class A drug dealing and sex crimes would be death penalty crimes
but well in case of reprieves most were caused by laws that have since been change such as prosecution laws in the bentley case and in the evans case to be fair he did confess but these days people with mental health issues are given more support the same can be said about ruth ellis
Original post by jamesthehustler
this is my point that only terrorism, murder, human trafficking, major class A drug dealing and sex crimes would be death penalty crimes
but well in case of reprieves most were caused by laws that have since been change such as prosecution laws in the bentley case and in the evans case to be fair he did confess but these days people with mental health issues are given more support the same can be said about ruth ellis

You want the death penalty for drug dealing? Christ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending