The Student Room Group

The evil eye

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Get a priests cleanse your house if you're a Christian

We did that after I was baptised lmao.

But I regularly get blessed by our priest (some Bulgarian guy, he puts ash on my forehead...:dontknow: )

I thought the evil eye was an Eastern European until now though. This is shocking :s-smilie:
Original post by z33
We chuck water after someone leaves for a trip I guess so they come back safely?
we break eggs on new cars... idk why

kinda similar :lol:

We give honey to guests to eat, ensuring the stay is "sweet" :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by animeamanda1412
evil eye does exist, but those beads and all the other stuff dont prevent it
reading ayat-ul-kursy and reading your athkar, making duaa and stuff are what actually prevent evil eye
other stuff regarding beads, khumsa
Khamsa_pendant (1).jpg
etc are bid3a

Agreed.
Wearing those beads as a means of protection is haram.
Original post by HAnwar
Agreed.

indeed it is
Reply 44
Original post by homeland.lsw

But I regularly get blessed by our priest (some Bulgarian guy, he puts ash on my forehead...:dontknow: )

I thought the evil eye was an Eastern European until now though. This is shocking :s-smilie:

It all started in turkey and spread out to Greece and other medittaranean countries and the Middle East. I didn't realise Eastern Europeans also believed in it
I'm Mediterranean and evil eye isn't believed at all really by the people of my country of origin. I don't believe in it at all either, it's just pure superstition as far as I'm concerned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46

When I get back home I'm going to get a priest to cleanse the house. I haven't been living there for a while and just want to be on the safe side and ward off any negativity
I believe.

It's a cracking bar in York.
Reply 48
We give honey to guests to eat, ensuring the stay is "sweet" :biggrin:

we give dates for that purpose :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm Mediterranean and evil eye isn't believed at all really by the people of my country of origin. I don't believe in it at all either, it's just pure super soon as far as I'm concerned.

Really? Perhaps it differs then according to countries. There are some parts of Italy that believe in it but not the country as a whole
My family believe in it, but don't display charms around the house or anything like that. My grandma is crazy when it comes to stuff like that though-probably because of an experience her daughter(my aunt) had.
Reply 51

Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

It's just a trick to sell more necklaces. The salesman got you. :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Original post by Josb
It's just a trick to sell more necklaces. The salesman got you. :rolleyes:

Oh man,he got me so baaaad :laugh:
Reply 53
Original post by HAnwar
Agreed.

Wait so how would you prevent the evil eye from happening?
Original post by OGGUS
what religion was your grandmother? and what religion are you?

My grandmother and me are both Hindus. She's way more superstitious than I am though. She gave me a necklace to wear for nazar and I ended up losing it. I wasn't too bothered because I don't believe in it :tongue:
i have a big-ass blue glass amulet in my bedroom which keeps an eye on things :teehee:
When I get back home I'm going to get a priest to cleanse the house. I haven't been living there for a while and just want to be on the safe side and ward off any negativity

Go for it!

And I suppose Bulgaria borders Greece which might be why some people believe in evil eye :smile:
I believe in it. But I don't wear anything around my neck or recite something before entering a room
The best way to look at it is as a metaphor. It instills the value of humility and tempers peoples inclination to boast by making them fear the consequences, all in all a good thing.
Reply 59
Original post by Cherx
Wait so how would you prevent the evil eye from happening?

From doing the things animeamanda1412 listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest