Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thefatone
If

4x4^x

can i then say

x4 x^4

is the same thing?

No. Why on earth do you think they're the same thing.

Let x=3x=3 then 43=4×4×4=16×4=644^3 = 4 \times 4 \times 4 = 16 \times 4 = 64 but 34=3×3×3×3=9×9=813^4 = 3 \times 3 \times 3 \times 3 = 9 \times 9 = 81.

And we're fairly confident that 648164 \neq 81
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
No. Why on earth do you think they're the same thing.

Let x=3x=3 then 43=4×4×4=16×4=644^3 = 4 \times 4 \times 4 = 16 \times 4 = 64 but 34=3×3×3×3=9×9=813^4 = 3 \times 3 \times 3 \times 3 = 9 \times 9 = 81.

And we're fairly confident that 648164 \neq 81

ah i see i didn't test this...

it worked for this example of

24=422^4=4^2
Reply 3

24=422^4=4^2

Just like 2x2^x and x2x^2 work for x=2x=2. Doesn't mean anything.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Just like 2x2^x and x2x^2 work for x=2x=2. Doesn't mean anything.

well then, i made a mistake oh well
thanks anyway :smile:
Lol, if this for AS, you're so fcked right now...

LOOOOOOL, if your doing GCSE you're still fked,, but like... a mini version of it.
You can't. It may work for like a few examples. For example if x was 2.

But lets say x=5
4^5 is like 1024.

But 5^4 is 625.
Original post by Kholmes1
You can't. It may work for like a few examples. For example if x was 2.

But lets say x=5
4^5 is like 1024.

But 5^4 is 625.

We've already established that, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by LastMinReviseGuy

LOOOOOOL, if your doing GCSE you're still fked,, but like... a mini version of it.

shhh it's just a question k?

i'm not ****ed for AS i can guarantee you i'll get an A everytime on any relevant past C2 edexcel paper
but it's just curiosity ok?

i'm not ****ed for AS i can guarantee you i'll get an A everytime on any relevant past C2 edexcel paper

Lol, everyone says they get A's on past papers. That don't mean jack pit.
Good luck to you in your c2 Paper.

... I may be wrong but lm pretty sure logs doesn't come up at gcse. Its c2.Also this is the student room, one of its main purposes is to ask for help on subjects. The example she did seemed to work so she came here to asked if this was the case... Theres no need to be rude. Also as she is doing alevel im guessing she got AT LEAST a C at gcse. Probably higher so was she "fked" no?*This was meant to send a few minutes ago but the internet on my laptop kept cutting out.
Reply 11

Since it doesn't seem someone has spoken about the why here, they're simply different things.
x^4 is x multiplied by itself four times i.e x*x*x*x

4^x is a bit more complicated. Well if x is a whole number, it's easy. 4^0 can be thought of as 4/4 = 1. For x a positive integer, 4^x is 4 multiplied by itself x times. For x negative, you do that but then take the reciprocal (like 4^(-2) = 1/4^2 = 1/16).

If x is rational/a fraction, say a/b, then to get 4^x = 4^(a/b) you take the "bth root", i.e. the number that when multiplied by itself four times gives 4, and this is multiplied by 4 multiplied by itself a times.

If x is a surd, well it's a complicated approximation process (you use the fact that the decimal representation is basically a way of getting closer and closer to the number using rational ones)

So you can see that doing x^4 is a very different thing to doing 4^x so there's no reason why they should be related.
... I may be wrong but lm pretty sure logs doesn't come up at gcse. Its c2.Also this is the student room, one of its main purposes is to ask for help on subjects. The example she did seemed to work so she came here to asked if this was the case... Theres no need to be rude. Also as she is doing alevel im guessing she got AT LEAST a C at gcse. Probably higher so was she "fked" no?*This was meant to send a few minutes ago but the internet on my laptop kept cutting out.

So you waited a while to send this message to me.... ok.
Your right i was being a bit rude.
I apologise for being a inconsiderate egotistical narcissitic which is pessimistically cynical about everything, i'm just a spoiled son of a queen.
So you waited a while to send this message to me.... ok.
Your right i was being a bit rude.
I apologise for being a inconsiderate egotistical narcissitic which is pessimistically cynical about everything, i'm just a spoiled son of a queen.

I didn't really wait. I sent the message. But as I sent it the internet cut out. So when I reloaded the page (Took a few mins to work) the message was still there so then I just sent it.
I didn't really wait. I sent the message. But as I sent it the internet cut out. So when I reloaded the page (Took a few mins to work) the message was still there so then I just sent it.

Did i ask?
Reply 15
Lol, everyone says they get A's on past papers. That don't mean jack pit.
Good luck to you in your c2 Paper.

A mark between 65-75 on every paper has always been an A on every edexcel past paper i've seen, there's even a table to support that you'd get an A everything if you just got 65 on every edexcel paper.
I'm not stupid(not that much) but there's always room for imrpovement but this again was merely just a question out of my own interest nothing more nothing less.

It's a he xD i see my avatar is very misleading maybe it's better to leave things that way and not tell ppl o.o
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Since it doesn't seem someone has spoken about the why here, they're simply different things.
x^4 is x multiplied by itself four times i.e x*x*x*x

4^x is a bit more complicated. Well if x is a whole number, it's easy. 4^0 can be thought of as 4/4 = 1. For x a positive integer, 4^x is 4 multiplied by itself x times. For x negative, you do that but then take the reciprocal (like 4^(-2) = 1/4^2 = 1/16).

If x is rational/a fraction, say a/b, then to get 4^x = 4^(a/b) you take the "bth root", i.e. the number that when multiplied by itself four times gives 4, and this is multiplied by 4 multiplied by itself a times.

If x is a surd, well it's a complicated approximation process (you use the fact that the decimal representation is basically a way of getting closer and closer to the number using rational ones)

So you can see that doing x^4 is a very different thing to doing 4^x so there's no reason why they should be related.

I see, i just though i may be onto something here since i found 1 thing which fits the trend xD
A mark between 65-75 on every paper has always been an A on every edexcel past paper i've seen, there's even a table to support that you'd get an A everything if you just got 65 on every edexcel paper.
I'm not stupid(not that much) but there's always room for imrpovement but this again was merely just a question out of my own interest nothing more nothing less.

It's a he xD i see my avatar is very misleading maybe it's better to leave things that way and not tell ppl o.o

I see, i just though i may be onto something here since i found 1 thing which fits the trend xD

No need to big that big of a moist willy to others just keep the flopping around to a minimum.

Who told you i had a big willy?
Sorry , but i don't.

24=422^4=4^2

yeah that's because 4=224 = 2^2 and:

xnm=xnm x^{n^m} = x^{nm}
xnxxm=xn+mx^n \mathrm{ x } x^m = x^{n+m}
xn÷xm=xnmx^n \div x^m = x^{n-m}

(learn these relations}

so we can see that 24=222=42 2^4 = 2^{2^2} = 4^2

There are some core 4 papers where the A boundary is significantly higher. The one I say had an A boundary at 70 and the one the following January (yes this was way back in the past) had an A boundary of 71 and an A* boundary of 73...
4x = x4 hahahahahahahhaha good one!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest