The Student Room Group

If money isn't the most important thing, then what is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by donutellme
Money is spent on ensuring justice, gaining knowledge, achieving happiness, attaining love, etc. Money itself is just a means, which although important, is still lesser than the goals.

Obviously if you could have these things without money then money wouldn't be important. But since you do, I can't see anything more important. Call it a means or a goal, that still doesn't change how important it is
Me
Reputation gems, obviously.
Money is 50%, happiness 50%
Reply 24
Original post by xylas
Why are these more important? Please explain how they can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve them.

(money definitely is required for justice for example hence why we pay taxes)

Yes so is water haha. Assuming everyone has these, what is more important than money?

But you can increase free time, usually if you have money.

Which is better: having no money but having family, or having no family but having money?

Answer honestly and give a reason why

Family, I can not explain why but knowing that you have people who can share your highs and help you when you are at the bottom to me is more important.

Would you kill your entire family for £100,000,000 if you would also not be arrested?

I'm not saying money isn't important it is but it is not THE most important thing
People (friends, family, etc) :yes:
Why are you saying "if" as though it ever was?

It is always about happiness, whether you believe its in this life or the after life.

Spoiler

Reply 27
Original post by joecphillips
Family, I can not explain why but knowing that you have people who can share your highs and help you when you are at the bottom to me is more important.

Would you kill your entire family for £100,000,000 if you would also not be arrested?

I'm not saying money isn't important it is but it is not THE most important thing

No I wouldn't because my morality doesn't stem from the law.

Family can only help you when you are at the bottom with money. No money = no help. Can you give any other reasons why family is more important apart from help?
In terms of relationship, if you both can afford a decent house, car etc than nothing is more important than your partner's personality and your happiness together, and that's something you cant buy
(unless you're one of DJ Khaled's sidechicks, then this doesn't apply :colonhash:)

Spoiler

Happiness.
Reply 30
Original post by Indeterminate
People (friends, family, etc) :yes:

Which is better: having no money but having family and friends, or having no family or friends but having money?

Answer honestly and give a reason why.

Also friends and family can't give you money/buy you things
Reply 31
In my opinion everything mentioned here can be bought with money, besides from true love.
So it is the most important thing I'd say, although it can ruin a person completely
Original post by xylas
Obviously if you could have these things without money then money wouldn't be important. But since you do, I can't see anything more important. Call it a means or a goal, that still doesn't change how important it is

You can achieve all of these without money. If you could achieve any of them without money, would you do it or go for money instead?
Reply 33
Original post by Ishea16
In terms of relationship, if you both can afford a decent house, car etc

Yeah lol that requires a lot of money

Original post by Muchaco
In my opinion everything mentioned here can be bought with money, besides from true love

Agreed. So called 'true love' is not important or desirable imo

Original post by donutellme
You can achieve all of these without money. If you could achieve any of them without money, would you do it or go for money instead?

Tell me how if you say it's possible without money.

I would definitely go for money since I know it would get me all these things easily. But if I can have them instantly without money then I would obviously go for that.

Original post by Ishea16
that depends on what you interpret when I say decent...

Go on, what is a 'decent house' and a 'decent car'?

Whatever you say they are still going to require a lot of money guarantee it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
Yeah lol that requires a lot of money

that depends on what you interpret when I say decent...
Original post by xylas
Which is better: having no money but having family and friends, or having no family or friends but having money?

Answer honestly and give a reason why.

Also friends and family can't give you money/buy you things

The former I'd say. At least they can give you love, care and attention whereas money can only buy you material possessions :bigsmile:
People who are wealthy and comfortable say money isn't everything.

It's a scheme to make poor people think it's okay to be poor, and keep them poor, so they stay rich.

Screwy world we live in.
Reply 37
Original post by xylas
No I wouldn't because my morality doesn't stem from the law.

Family can only help you when you are at the bottom with money. No money = no help. Can you give any other reasons why family is more important apart from help?

I find it amazing that you think being at the bottom means financially, family can help in many more ways than just that.

If money is the most important thing then that means it is more important than your morals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Indeterminate
money can only buy you material possessions :bigsmile:

Well that's not true, read earlier posts (happiness, justice etc.)

Are love, care and attention what you really want when you're poor? I'd rather have money and soon enough I would have those things as well.

Original post by joecphillips
I find it amazing that you think being at the bottom means financially, family can help in many more ways than just that.

Please explain yourself
Reply 39
Original post by xylas
Well that's not true, read earlier posts (happiness, justice etc.)

Are love, care and attention what you really want when you're poor? I'd rather have money and soon enough I would have those things as well.

Please explain yourself

Family comes together in the face of adversity you seem to believe that it is only financial situations but family help with problems no matter how small. I flooded the house once who was it who came to help? Family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending