The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Unit 2 Global Investigations-Friday 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harryleavey
Shows how little I play games then doesn't it.

Suggests you are a COD-kinda-guy?

Lmao. Nah I haven't played cod in a long time. Sorry :wink:
Original post by WurfWurf
Lmao. Nah I haven't played cod in a long time. Sorry :wink:

Thats ok.
For management strategies question i talked about floods and that we can use flood risk maps to manage the impacts of flood for one of my points. Is this right or wrong?
Argh Extreme Weather people what did you put for the 2 strategies? I did GM crops and Play Pump for drought so different scales/players but people are talking about other stuff asasfong;oreigjaor;jg;orngofgosf;ng'g'\of
Hey guys I remember all of the questions for crowded coasts and rebranding places. If anyone wants them just reply.
Original post by hol288
For the extreme weather management question did you have to write about 2 strategies for the same event?

I wrote about GM crops for drought and land use management for hurricanes! Really worried I've done it completely wrong now! #I'm an idiot

I'm pretty sure it said extreme weather events, i did one for flooding and drought so im in the same position
Reply 186
Original post by Raizelcadres
Hey guys I remember all of the questions for crowded coasts and rebranding places. If anyone wants them just reply.

What was the last question for rebranding again?
I asked my teacher before the exam and he said that if it says 'extreme weather events' in general it is better to talk about more than one weather event rather than one so I talked about a method for drought and then one for flooding. I'm sure it will be fine, well I hope so anyway!
Original post by hol288
For the extreme weather management question did you have to write about 2 strategies for the same event?

I wrote about GM crops for drought and land use management for hurricanes! Really worried I've done it completely wrong now! #I'm an idiot

What was the question again? I'm worried that I've answered it wrong, I wrote about desalination and levees and then commented on the advantages and disadvantages of them
Original post by JMEisjames
I'm pretty sure it said extreme weather events, i did one for flooding and drought so im in the same position

Did you comment on the advantages and disadvantages of each or have I answered it wrong? 😯
Original post by Ilovepugs
Did you comment on the advantages and disadvantages of each or have I answered it wrong? 😯

It said 2 different strategies to manage an extreme weather event.

One extreme weather event
It said 2 different strategies to manage an extreme weather event.

One extreme weather event

It said extreme weather events
"Examine the success of 2 different strategies to manage the impacts of an extreme weather event"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherx
What was the last question for rebranding again?

for a named urban area explain why it was in need of rebranding.
Reply 194
Original post by Raizelcadres
for a named urban area explain why it was in need of rebranding.

Damn it. Talked about two examples. Thanks for letting me know :smile:
Original post by Cherx
Damn it. Talked about two examples. Thanks for letting me know :smile:

You're welcome
Original post by krissheahan
I didn't cross the box at the top of the page to indicate what question I was going to do! Do you think it will still get marked?

yes
"Examine the success of 2 different strategies to manage the impacts of an extreme weather event"

Thanks for putting this up! This question confused me a tad though as it was a little ambiguous - I wasn't sure if we were supposed to talk merely about the successes of some strategies, or if we were supposed to talk about how there were and weren't successes? Does anybody know?

Personally, I talked about Hurricane Prediction Apps and how the prediction is useful for informing people to prepare, and how the notifications can allow people to be informed more quickly so they have more time to get to safety. I then discussed hard engineering protection against storm surges from tropical cyclones, giving the example of the levees in New Orleans, and saying that whilst they can protect against weaker events there is a risk of a false sense of security in stronger events such as Hurricane Katrina.

Overall, I thought the exam definitely could have gone better (I did Extreme Weather and Rebranding), but given the questions I'm happy that I made a fair attempt!
Original post by Barbeller
Thanks for putting this up! This question confused me a tad though as it was a little ambiguous - I wasn't sure if we were supposed to talk merely about the successes of some strategies, or if we were supposed to talk about how there were and weren't successes? Does anybody know?

Personally, I talked about Hurricane Prediction Apps and how the prediction is useful for informing people to prepare, and how the notifications can allow people to be informed more quickly so they have more time to get to safety. I then discussed hard engineering protection against storm surges from tropical cyclones, giving the example of the levees in New Orleans, and saying that whilst they can protect against weaker events there is a risk of a false sense of security in stronger events such as Hurricane Katrina.

Overall, I thought the exam definitely could have gone better (I did Extreme Weather and Rebranding), but given the questions I'm happy that I made a fair attempt!

I only wrote about the successes. But I am beginning to wish I included a bit on disadvantages too - just in case.
Original post by Barbeller

I done the same thing! I wrote about levees being able to prevent flooding from rivers and from storm surges and then said how they are not always entirely successful and gave the example of hurricane Katrina, however I also talked about drought. Do you know if you was supposed to talk about one type or could you have talked about more than one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending