The Student Room Group

How long should my Stroop test be to induce stress to get a significant pulse change?

Hi there, currently on the very last module of my Access course (!!!)

It's a practical investigation, a cross between Biology and Psychology (marked by the psychology tutor). I've got to examine differences between pulse rate changes across personality types (junk science I know, but that's the question I have to follow). I'll be using a pulse oximeter, so pulse can be obtained instantly.

I've done all the initial planning and proposal writing, and record sheets, consent forms, hypotheses, etc etc are all finished.

I'll be inducing stress using a Stroop test (to be specific, the Encephalapp app). You can pick the number to do, you can set numbers of tests for practice non-Stroop (where words are replaced with ###), real non-Stroop, practice Stroop, and real Stroop (the normal one, where names of colours are displayed in various colours, and you have to name the colour of the word itself as quickly as you can.

Most of my subjects will be St John Ambulance members who are on duty with me (and I have a limited timeframe, 2-3 days to actually carry out the investigation). This means I don't really want to be getting people to be appearing to play games on phones for too long. I'm able to do each test in about 10-15 seconds, but some may be slower, I don't know.

So, the question - how many runs would you guys suggest I do for a decent figure? I'm telling them that the main thing I'm measuring is performance, which may give a little motivation.to rush, increasing stress. I'll be time sampling, to get a decent range of figures.
Surely you're basing your research off previous/known research in the area.

How long do they do it for? If there's no criticisms for that time frame, use it. Any timeframe you use needs to be justified.
Reply 2
Original post by Findlay6
Surely you're basing your research off previous/known research in the area.

How long do they do it for? If there's no criticisms for that time frame, use it. Any timeframe you use needs to be justified.

Yeah, there's shedloads of research on the use of the Stroop test in general, it's just for this specific app. I haven't come across any criticisms of the time frame, and the time frame used looks to be effective in altering the pulse, so seems fine to me :smile: Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest