The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mojojojo101
Like Slavery?

Oh I forgot about slaves even though I live in the real world and I see them every day.
Reply 221
Original post by not_lucas1
From my opinion England is shite, I can't wait to move to another country and get out of this shithole

Try the Congo or Lesotho or Botswana or Niger or Sierra Leone - some people have no idea how spectacularly lucky they are...
Original post by Jjj90
Try the Congo or Lesotho or Botswana or Niger or Sierra Leone - some people have no idea how spectacularly lucky they are...

And those countries are how they are because they don't help themselves. 3rd world countries do nothing to improve themselves and rely on resources from 1st world countries such as mine
Reply 223
And those countries are how they are because they don't help themselves. 3rd world countries do nothing to improve themselves and rely on resources from 1st world countries such as mine

What does that have to do with being an ordinary person living day to day in one of those countries?
Original post by Youngmetro
lmaooo most of the youth arent even patriots anyway, just on TSR

who gives a **** anymore, patriotism and nationalism is dead

No not really. What about in America, Russia, China, Japan, North and South Korea, France, Spain, etc etc etc.

Basically the only country that is not patriotic is Britain. And that is a shame, but I don't think British people have ever been patriotic, not really. It was just a concept thrust upon normal people by the upper and elite ruling class. Whilst in other countries as the middle class grew and became the majority and so adopted this sense of patriotism, in Britain most people have always had this sense of national self-doubt and insecurity, thus patriotism has never really taken off.

However, there are still many people who say they are proud to be British, but I'm not sure that is quite the same thing as patriotism, it implies a greater sense of achievement and that this proudness was earned but at the same time is still a little unsure of itself whereas patriotism is just straight out there "I love my country. Why? Just because." Whereas people who say I'm proud of being British usually continue with "because.......(reason)". So I don't see it as the same thing.

I mean don't you think it is funny how in USA the political parties say "Let's make America great again!" whereas in Britain its "Let's make Britain Great" as if it has not yet ever been achieved. It's almost as though the "Great" of Great Britain was added half sarcastically as part of British humour.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jjj90
What does that have to do with being an ordinary person living day to day in one of those countries?

And what does that have to do with me wanting to leave England?
Reply 226
And what does that have to do with me wanting to leave England?

It was barely a complex point.
Original post by Jjj90
It was barely a complex point.

Neither was mine tf u on
From my opinion England is shite, I can't wait to move to another country and get out of this shithole

Why?? I mean, I'll probably move away later too but why for you, just out of interest?

Reason first world countries are at the beginnings of decline is our increasing rejection of capitalism. Meanwhile, all the worlds fastest growing economies including China are increasingly favourable towards Capitalist principles
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

I disagree with the idea that it is 'pointless' as patriotism clearly serves a very real purpose. Perhaps it is illogical but even then pride in the accomplishments of others i.e. friend's or family's success rather than our own is no less illogical. Though I certainly agree with your "I'm a closet racist." idea.
Original post by aeroline1999
Why?? I mean, I'll probably move away later too but why for you, just out of interest?

The only good thing we have in England is football. We have **** weather, skanky places full of obese and scruffy people, just look at Liverpool, its a disgrace
Original post by Cressiswell
I disagree with the idea that it is 'pointless' as patriotism clearly serves a very real purpose. Perhaps it is illogical but even then pride in the accomplishments of others i.e. friend's or family's success rather than our own is no less illogical. Though I certainly agree with your "I'm a closet racist." idea.

I think the closet racist thing is really unfair. Nationalism is basically closet (or not so much depending on its extent) racism but not patriotism. There are plenty of non-white British people who are proud to be British.
The only good thing we have in England is football. We have **** weather, skanky places full of obese and scruffy people, just look at Liverpool, its a disgrace

I like our weather, it has a good variety. Cold winters, hot summers, windy wet autumn. i don't like mono-weather countries, they are boring. I know people always say british summers are like 2 days but it isn't really true. it can average about 25-33 degrees celsius from about june to september.

My issue with Britain is its lack of forward planning and foresight. Its increasing distaste to capitalism and the fact we are destroying our last major industry. Also how taxes are too high and iPhones cost too much here :wink:

Only problem is, they don't sell cadburys chocolate anywhere else, so I'm kinda stuck here unless i can buy a ton, ship it over to another country
I like our weather, it has a good variety. Cold winters, hot summers, windy wet autumn. i don't like mono-weather countries, they are boring. I know people always say british summers are like 2 days but it isn't really true. it can average about 25-33 degrees celsius from about june to september.

My issue with Britain is its lack of forward planning and foresight. Its increasing distaste to capitalism and the fact we are destroying our last major industry. Also how taxes are too high and iPhones cost too much here :wink:

Only problem is, they don't sell cadburys chocolate anywhere else, so I'm kinda stuck here unless i can buy a ton, ship it over to another country

I don't know what the weather has been like near you but i can tell you that we dont have a cold winter, we have a cold year. Most of the time it's freezing in England and often rains, we lack warmth and when it snows, its petty. We defo lack behind countries such as America, they get most new technologies weeks before us
I think the closet racist thing is really unfair. Nationalism is basically closet (or not so much depending on its extent) racism but not patriotism. There are plenty of non-white British people who are proud to be British.

Yeah I think you're right; that was unnecessarily prejudiced of me!
I don't know what the weather has been like near you but i can tell you that we dont have a cold winter, we have a cold year. Most of the time it's freezing in England and often rains, we lack warmth and when it snows, its petty. We defo lack behind countries such as America, they get most new technologies weeks before us

Firstly, it isn't the 1960s anymore, America is no longer more technologically advanced than Britain/ Europe. If anything America lags behind us. Having films released a couple weeks early is inconsequential as well. If you had said Japan than that would have been a fair point. But there is no genuine difference between the technology we and America have, except for stupid licensing meaning we get less stuff on netflix. But tbh, its only the US film makers losing out anyway thanks to online streaming.

I live in the South. Maybe you live further up North, but in the South theres a nice mix of cold, hot, wet, sunny, snow etc.
Firstly, it isn't the 1960s anymore, America is no longer more technologically advanced than Britain/ Europe. If anything America lags behind us. Having films released a couple weeks early is inconsequential as well. If you had said Japan than that would have been a fair point. But there is no genuine difference between the technology we and America have, except for stupid licensing meaning we get less stuff on netflix. But tbh, its only the US film makers losing out anyway thanks to online streaming.

I live in the South. Maybe you live further up North, but in the South theres a nice mix of cold, hot, wet, sunny, snow etc.

yeh i live up north, and its shite
Original post by Youngmetro
A boring country with a bland culture to show for it.

Incorrect.
yeh i live up north, and its shite

Fair enough. I'd hate Britain if I lived up North too. Maybe you should move down South instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending