The Student Room Group

Oh look Canada hates our country too

I feel physically sick. Now Canada's New and popular PM has had the audacity to suggest that a Canada deal wouldn't really work for the UK. its that Damn part French heritage I reckon.

Why can't more people love our country like Putin and Trump?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/canadian-pm-justin-trudeau-crashes-8010989#ICID=sharebar_twitter

[irony]

Scroll to see replies

lol Brexiters getting BTFO
Sorry Davij, but getting Canada's opinion on whether we could have a Canada type deal is just scaremongering, unpatriotic and arguably Nazi sympathising.
Canada?
Who cares about Canada?
Original post by ODES_PDES
Canada?
Who cares about Canada?

Well seemingly the Out-campaign who've been going on about how if we leave the EU that we can get a Canada type deal. Yet here we have the Canadian PM saying it's not all that great.
Original post by Bornblue
Sorry Davij, but getting Canada's opinion on whether we could have a Canada type deal is just scaremongering, unpatriotic and arguably Nazi sympathising.

OMG - so if you are pro Europe, you are now a Nazi sympathiser?

#newlows
Original post by ByEeek
OMG - so if you are pro Europe, you are now a Nazi sympathiser?

#newlows

Sarcasm.
Reply 7
Since we don't have a trade deal right now i'm not sure what exactly we'd be losing.
Original post by Rakas21
Since we don't have a trade deal right now i'm not sure what exactly we'd be losing.

We are being told by leave that any loss of deals with Europe would be made up by making deals with countries like Canada. Only countries like Canada and the US don't seem that bothered.
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
We are being told by leave that any loss of deals with Europe would be made up by making deals with countries like Canada. Only countries like Canada and the US don't seem that bothered.

But we won't fail to get a trade deal with Europe. I'm no fan of the Brexit camp but most of the EU will wish to maintain tariff free trade even if the UK leaves even if the terms are worse for us.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Many of those countries would probably want to sabotage the UK if it quit the EU, to stave off their own nationalist and separatist movements, even if it hurts them.

That line of thinking is right up there with 'the EU will self destruct if we leave'.

I have more faith in the EU than most remain supporters it seems.
Original post by Rakas21
But we won't fail to get a trade deal with Europe. I'm no fan of the Brexit camp but most of the EU will wish to maintain tariff free trade even if the UK leaves even if the terms are worse for us.

I'm in favour of Brexit, but I'm genuinely unsure what the trade deals are going to look like. On the one hand, the EU can hardly play hardball because we have a massive trade deficit with them. They will hurt far more than we will if unattractive trade deals are reached. But on the other hand, if they do give us a very good trade deal, it could easily spark an exodus. If we got all the trade benefits of the EU, without the political ramifications, you could see plenty other countries clamouring for the same perks. If Britain leaves, it could spell the end of the EU.

Which frankly, isn't something I would be at all disappointed with..
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I'm in favour of Brexit, but I'm genuinely unsure what the trade deals are going to look like. On the one hand, the EU can hardly play hardball because we have a massive trade deficit with them. They will hurt far more than we will if unattractive trade deals are reached. But on the other hand, if they do give us a very good trade deal, it could easily spark an exodus. If we got all the trade benefits of the EU, without the political ramifications, you could see plenty other countries clamouring for the same perks. If Britain leaves, it could spell the end of the EU.

Which frankly, isn't something I would be at all disappointed with..

The trade deficit argument only really applies if both economies are the same size. The reality is that the EU has an economy several times larger and as such will still feel less pain in that worse case scenario.

Won't happen. The skeptics that think that completely misunderstand the mentality of eastern Europe and the poor Muslim countries who will probably join in the future..
Original post by Rakas21
The trade deficit argument only really applies if both economies are the same size. The reality is that the EU has an economy several times larger and as such will still feel less pain in that worse case scenario.

Won't happen. The skeptics that think that completely misunderstand the mentality of eastern Europe and the poor Muslim countries who will probably join in the future..

If our trade was spread equally amongst the EU countries I would agree, but it's mostly concentrated in Germany and France. France's economy in particular is already suffering massively, and euroscepticism is rife. The loss of trade would likely hurt France more than Britain, especially as Britain could look to replace lost trade in the mid-long term with trade from other countries (prominently with South-East Asia), whereas France would still be bound by EU laws regarding trade with countries outside the EU. I actually think it's something of a catch-22 if we do leave; a weak trade deal will leave the French economy even worse off which would galvanise the eurosceptics and could very easily so France going the same way, but a strong trade deal would give huge impetus to those who want to leave the EU.

Oh, I should have been clearer. I don't think that the Eastern European countries will be looking to leave. The problems will come from France and (to a lesser extent) Catalonia and Germany. If we do leave, we'll see renewed drives from the Eurosceptics in these regions, and it'll become harder and harder to ignore the clamour. If Catalonia secures independence from Spain and then leaves, the Spanish economy would lie in tatters and most likely require bailing out. If France leaves, then two of the three largest EU economies would have left, and Germany would likely be unable to continue funding the European project. Even if it could, the German public is already becoming dissatisfied with what is sees as the EU forcing them to pay the way of failing economies in Eastern Europe and the Med. If Britain left, Germany would most likely end up having to make up the lion's share of that gap in the budget.

It's not that I don't think the EU can survive without Britain, but that if Britain leaves I could see several of the other wealthier members looking to leave as well.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Many of those countries would probably want to sabotage the UK if it quit the EU, to stave off their own nationalist and separatist movements, even if it hurts them.

If anything that would probably help their own nationalists given it gives them the "look how petty your leaders are," in exactlythe same way that we can say "do you really want to be in a club that throws their toys out if the pram and cut their own nose off to spite their face if they don't get their own way."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd actually consider it an insult if Justin
Trudeau agreed with me on anything. I feel dirty that we're both pro-EU. He's everything that's wrong with the modern West.
Reply 16
Canada don't want to be the easy lay Britain goes for when it divorces the EU so they play hard to get.

All the countries Britain needs to negotiate trade deals with know Britain is in a pickle after Brexit and will have to rely on WTO rules to trade with other countries until new trade treaties have been concluded.
Reply 17
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
If our trade was spread equally amongst the EU countries I would agree, but it's mostly concentrated in Germany and France. France's economy in particular is already suffering massively, and euroscepticism is rife. The loss of trade would likely hurt France more than Britain, especially as Britain could look to replace lost trade in the mid-long term with trade from other countries (prominently with South-East Asia), whereas France would still be bound by EU laws regarding trade with countries outside the EU. I actually think it's something of a catch-22 if we do leave; a weak trade deal will leave the French economy even worse off which would galvanise the eurosceptics and could very easily so France going the same way, but a strong trade deal would give huge impetus to those who want to leave the EU.

Oh, I should have been clearer. I don't think that the Eastern European countries will be looking to leave. The problems will come from France and (to a lesser extent) Catalonia and Germany. If we do leave, we'll see renewed drives from the Eurosceptics in these regions, and it'll become harder and harder to ignore the clamour. If Catalonia secures independence from Spain and then leaves, the Spanish economy would lie in tatters and most likely require bailing out. If France leaves, then two of the three largest EU economies would have left, and Germany would likely be unable to continue funding the European project. Even if it could, the German public is already becoming dissatisfied with what is sees as the EU forcing them to pay the way of failing economies in Eastern Europe and the Med. If Britain left, Germany would most likely end up having to make up the lion's share of that gap in the budget.

It's not that I don't think the EU can survive without Britain, but that if Britain leaves I could see several of the other wealthier members looking to leave as well.

I don't think the EU will just sit there and let Britain take trade away from them after Brexit.

The EU will most likely renegotiate their trade agreements with other countries to try to take trade away from Britain by offering better trade terms such as better access to the EU and lower tariffs.

The EU would also take steps to lure businesses such as finance and manufacturing away from Britain by imposing higher tariffs and giving tax incentives to relocate away from Britain and into the EU.
Original post by Maker
Canada don't want to be the easy lay Britain goes for when it divorces the EU so they play hard to get.

All the countries Britain needs to negotiate trade deals with know Britain is in a pickle after Brexit and will have to rely on WTO rules to trade with other countries until new trade treaties have been concluded.

There are conventions suggesting that maintaining the current deals would actually be very easy if both parties agree to maintaining the current terms, at least as an interim arrangement, not that there are many valuable ones to begin with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Jammy Duel
There are conventions suggesting that maintaining the current deals would actually be very easy if both parties agree to maintaining the current terms, at least as an interim arrangement, not that there are many valuable ones to begin with

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend on what the terms are and if both countries can agree. Each country will do anything to try to get a more advantageous terms so things could get a bit difficult if lots of countries decide to play hardball and trade grinds to a halt.

Quick Reply

Latest