The Student Room Group

Any body else have no motivation to revise for English Literature?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davist
1.Maths and science are all around us, and used in almost everything. Ultimately, they've allowed us to be where we are today. Simple fact.

And you're wrong about English Lit having any use. It's completely useless.

1.of course - I completely accept that
2. English lit has many uses. don't give me that self righteous sh*t

seriously though, man. what proof do you have that it has no use? you have zero proof. zero evidence.

if it's such a "useless" subject, explain to me why, as an A Level, it's as highly regarded as maths and science by unis. Heathen.
Original post by davist
Lol

lol u a narrowminded jerk (!)
Literally just thought it was me who hated Literature, Somehow i managed to increase my grades within a mock by 5 grades, But i'm hopeless when it comes to the poetry.
Absolutely hate English Literature purely due to the fact i'm awful at it.
Reply 23
Original post by innermight
I'm basically just learning quotes, last year we sat an early literature exam and I winged it and got an A*. English Language is the one that messed me over in January though, I'm going to try and aim for A's in Language and an A* in this literature exam.

Same over here! I hate the weird long writing qs at the back of the language paper...and the anthology 😩
Reply 24
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
it's as highly regarded as maths and science by unis..

Are you joking?
Reply 25
Original post by davist
Are you joking?

It is
Reply 26
Original post by Resty
I just hate it so much. It's so boring and useless. How is analysing a poem and making up some ******** about it's meaning going to get me anywhere in life? It's not valued as a skill, the books are boring and the exam is long winded and painful. I don't even know where to start about revising for it and don't know if I should just skip it out and revise the subjects I care about doing well in.

How do you guys feel about english literature and how do you revise for it?

I didn't really give English lit that much importance before and now I have realised I don't have enough time to revise it all, I'm focusing on other subjects such as maths which I have next week
I don't understand why being intellectual purely consists of being good at maths or science. English Literature is still a valued subject and if you are able to incorporate a mixture of English, Maths and Science I think that just shows how highly intelligent you are as you are able to switch from deeply creative thoughts to like differentiation and calculus..

I dont think its fair to say that one subject is of a higher value than another as all have distinct values and are used for completely different things, but to appreciate and be able to work with this I think thats where the highest form of intellectualism comes from
Original post by davist
And you're wrong about English Lit having any use. It's completely useless.

I agree with what you said with math and science, but have you seen The School of Life Literature series?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAzKGkTIKpg&list=PLwxNMb28Xmpfv2COuuJaKzy6E2n8nSMdi
Reply 29
Original post by Social Elitist
I agree with what you said with math and science, but have you seen The School of Life Literature series?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAzKGkTIKpg&list=PLwxNMb28Xmpfv2COuuJaKzy6E2n8nSMdi

I haven't watched the videos. What's your point?
Original post by davist
Are you joking?

Original post by luciie
It is

...Well, you look like a bit of a d*ck now, don't you?

Perhaps next time do your research before insulting other people's subject. :^)
A degree in maths & science or a degree in English...

I'll let you all be the judge...
i jus cba with poetry

but OMAM is ok :smile:

but i hate the mood n atmosphere questions, in prefer character quotes :smile:
I am literally on here procrastinating right now, English lit is by far the worst subject to revise for there is just too much content :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean, but please do revise for it, at least a little, you're nearly done, the exams are soon :smile: Soon you'll never have to think about it again, so you might as well work at your best :smile: Of course, I can't and won't force you to do anything, that's just my advice.
Original post by davist
I haven't watched the videos. What's your point?

My point is that literature has more uses than just a subject from the occasional CV. Sine concepts from the work of literature are valued and intigrated into cultures. Most prominent example is Ralph Waldo Emmerson, in which his essay's revolutionised the way Americans view themselves, basically stating - to hell with these brit cultures we follow. This time, we make our own traditions.

Seriously, I can't do research for you. Just watch these videos; my GCSE exams are in less than a week, so if you want to have a better grasp of literature just watch the playlist.
Reply 36
...Well, you look like a bit of a d*ck now, don't you?

Perhaps next time do your research before insulting other people's subject. :^)

It really isn't, but if you want to continue believing that then go ahead. Perhaps it offers you some closure? You must be butthurt that you lack talent when it comes to the actual academic subjects, being maths & science :smile:
Original post by davist
It really isn't, but if you want to continue believing that then go ahead. Perhaps it offers you some closure? You must be butthurt that you lack talent when it comes to the actual academic subjects, being maths & science :smile:

lol! you're a silly boy.
you could watch mr bruff on youtube :confused:
Reply 39
lol! you're a silly boy.

Haha :smile: Now go revise your English Lit and become a poet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending