The Student Room Group

Psychosis

Psychosis
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

What is psychosis?

Spoiler

What illnesses have psychosis as a common symptom?

Spoiler

How is psychosis treated?

Spoiler

My story

Spoiler

If anyone has any questions about anything, then feel free to ask. I hope this post helps to inform people even a little bit about what psychosis is.

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for the post. I have also suffered from psychosis for years and also still have problems deciding if something is real or not. In fact I still have great difficulty in leaving the house.

Also thank you for posting what psychosis really is. I find the number of people who don't know or don't understand it really depressing and it annoys me even more when they get psychosis and psychopath mixed up! I find it interesting that you mention the negative effects. I feel the same way. The medication helps with some of the symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia but doesn't do anything for some of the other symptoms and in some ways the negative symptoms are much harder to deal with because they are so persistent.

Anyway hope things continue going well for you at University :smile:.
This is really helpful and so interesting! I knew a bit from A Level psychology, but great to have more detail and personal experiences - has anyone else experienced Psychosis or know someone who has?
I've said this before privately. But I'll say it again here, I think you are really brave to have shared your experience with psychosis and you've given such an interesting and informative account. It really has opened my eyes to what it truly means and I hope that it will do the same for others too. Thank you so much.
My father suffers from a form of psychosis known as delusional disorder, persecutory type. Like I said in my comment on the Depression & Anxiety thread, I will be talking in much more detail on that in my blog.

Thank you for creating these threads encouraging people to talk more about mental health issues, it means a lot to me :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
My father suffers from a form of psychosis known as delusional disorder, persecutory type. Like I said in my comment on the Depression & Anxiety thread, I will be talking in much more detail on that in my blog.

Thank you for creating these threads encouraging people to talk more about mental health issues, it means a lot to me :smile:

:jumphug: will be eager to read it lovely
Original post by iEthan
:jumphug: will be eager to read it lovely

Aww thank you Ethan, you're so lovely! :hugs:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Aww thank you Ethan, you're so lovely! :hugs:

Mental health really matters to me, in every form and it's so amazing that you're going to talk about it. How can I not be interested?! :hugs:
Original post by Sabertooth
x

Said this before but this is a great thread, and really brave too! Hope people learn something from it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great thread!
It's interesting to read the stories from other people as it makes you feel less alone (and less crazy haha)

Before now, I've been in complete denial about experiencing pyschosis. I suppose I didn't want to accept it. But after talking to someone very special from here about it I realised the severity of my situation. I still don't know much about it and I'm still learning, but these are some of my experiences as embarrassing as it is to admit online.

Spoiler

Could someone tell me if I am experiencing psychosis?

There's lots of things I could write but I will stick to the most prominent things. I think there are demons in my room and they want to kill me or they want to wait until I fall asleep so they can jump on me and I'm scared. They touch me and tickle me and I feel my nerves moving under my skin it's so weird!!!! I had a traumatic event happen nearly 2 years ago, I have had horrendous panic attacks and I get severe paranoia like everyone hates me. I didn't go out for a long time as I thought everyone was a murderer/wanted to kidnap me/afraid to see the person who caused my trauma. I am not sleeping because my mind is reeling and I currently feel so extremely numb like I'm not in my body. My head is heavy and it feels like my mind is always playing tricks on me I wish it would just give it a rest. I can't help thinking that everyone wants to hurt me or doesn't care. I also experience smells that remind me of the trauma and sounds. I think pills are trying to poison me. Anyway, here's a few things.
Original post by Louise12307
Could someone tell me if I am experiencing psychosis?

There's lots of things I could write but I will stick to the most prominent things. I think there are demons in my room and they want to kill me or they want to wait until I fall asleep so they can jump on me and I'm scared. They touch me and tickle me and I feel my nerves moving under my skin it's so weird!!!! I had a traumatic event happen nearly 2 years ago, I have had horrendous panic attacks and I get severe paranoia like everyone hates me. I didn't go out for a long time as I thought everyone was a murderer/wanted to kidnap me/afraid to see the person who caused my trauma. I am not sleeping because my mind is reeling and I currently feel so extremely numb like I'm not in my body. My head is heavy and it feels like my mind is always playing tricks on me I wish it would just give it a rest. I can't help thinking that everyone wants to hurt me or doesn't care. I also experience smells that remind me of the trauma and sounds. I think pills are trying to poison me. Anyway, here's a few things.

Ultimately, no one can say whether you are suffering from psychosis as no one here is your doctor. If you are worried I would recommend seeing your doctor and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest