The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Literature - Journey's End.

Yoooo, anyone else doing Journey's End for their literature exam? This book is sooooo boring - anyone else finding it difficult? I need some help with this idea of futility of war!
Original post by Perfection Ace
Yoooo, anyone else doing Journey's End for their literature exam? This book is sooooo boring - anyone else finding it difficult? I need some help with this idea of futility of war!

Hiya! I moved this to the English forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here :smile:

Finally, someone who is doing Journey's End! I find the play kind of boring however if you delve deeper into the meaning of the text it can be quite enjoyable.

If you need any advice / pointers of anything, let me know!
Original post by 11LOrmston
Finally, someone who is doing Journey's End! I find the play kind of boring however if you delve deeper into the meaning of the text it can be quite enjoyable.

If you need any advice / pointers of anything, let me know!

Wassup bro! Damn, I'm really struggling with this! The main thing is, I'm not sure how to approach the exam on Monday. Like, how much do I have to write for the unseen poetry and for the Journey's End question! How many quotes do I need to pick - do I need to pick them beforehand? I'm so confused and my teacher hasn't told me anything! I remember getting A* in my mock in December but I literally do not remember how I got that XD! What about you - are you ready for the exam? :smile: :s-smilie:
Wassup bro! Damn, I'm really struggling with this! The main thing is, I'm not sure how to approach the exam on Monday. Like, how much do I have to write for the unseen poetry and for the Journey's End question! How many quotes do I need to pick - do I need to pick them beforehand? I'm so confused and my teacher hasn't told me anything! I remember getting A* in my mock in December but I literally do not remember how I got that XD! What about you - are you ready for the exam? :smile: :s-smilie:

For both the unseen poetry and the analysis of Journey's End (JE), my English teacher tells me to pick one point each for the following:

-Language
-Structure
-Theme
-Question / Context

I'd usually try and pick between 3-4 depending on how fast you can write & how much time you have. Ideally, in the exam you should pick quotations there and then because they will be more tailored around the question and should be based around one of the following: Language, Structure, Theme or Question / Context. However before the exam, its best to think through the novel and pick out some good points which can fit into any question and they may help you during the exam if you get stuck.

Also, my teacher is always getting at me for this, have a balanced view of BOTH language and structure, either 1:1 or 2:2. She also tells me to try your best to link EACH point to a theme in the play, and also summarise your explanation and link it back to the question.

I'm feeling okay on the thought of it. I've been doing good on the Unseen poetry and finding techniques etc. As for JE, I'm re-reading it this weekend before the exam to familiarise myself with the text so it is fresh in my mind before the exam. I also highly recommend doing this!

I'm also struggling trying to find points for structure in JE, any points / tips?

Hope this helps!
For both the unseen poetry and the analysis of Journey's End (JE), my English teacher tells me to pick one point each for the following:

-Language
-Structure
-Theme
-Question / Context

I'd usually try and pick between 3-4 depending on how fast you can write & how much time you have. Ideally, in the exam you should pick quotations there and then because they will be more tailored around the question and should be based around one of the following: Language, Structure, Theme or Question / Context. However before the exam, its best to think through the novel and pick out some good points which can fit into any question and they may help you during the exam if you get stuck.

Also, my teacher is always getting at me for this, have a balanced view of BOTH language and structure, either 1:1 or 2:2. She also tells me to try your best to link EACH point to a theme in the play, and also summarise your explanation and link it back to the question.

I'm feeling okay on the thought of it. I've been doing good on the Unseen poetry and finding techniques etc. As for JE, I'm re-reading it this weekend before the exam to familiarise myself with the text so it is fresh in my mind before the exam. I also highly recommend doing this!

I'm also struggling trying to find points for structure in JE, any points / tips?

Hope this helps!

Damn thanks a lot bro!! Good luck also!! For structure, my teacher gave me someone's past paper on this question about the significance of Osborne - the person got an A. It had like 6 paragraphs with like around 6-7 quotes that she focused on. But they all linked back to her main idea, which she included in the introduction. My teacher said that the exam board will deduct marks if the introduction is too long and lots of irrelevant stuff. I hope any of this helps- btw what did you get in your coursework? I got a B. :smile:
Damn thanks a lot bro!! Good luck also!! For structure, my teacher gave me someone's past paper on this question about the significance of Osborne - the person got an A. It had like 6 paragraphs with like around 6-7 quotes that she focused on. But they all linked back to her main idea, which she included in the introduction. My teacher said that the exam board will deduct marks if the introduction is too long and lots of irrelevant stuff. I hope any of this helps- btw what did you get in your coursework? I got a B. :smile:

Thanks! Good luck to you!

I've got a few past papers from different people who got A's and A*'s and they help as you know what to concentrate on and how much you should write. My teacher also said that about the introductions. I'm planning to do a one which is 2-3 lines, mentioning themes & context about the play.

In previous past papers I've included a bit too much irrelevant information etc but I've tidied that up to make everything more concise and to the point.

What did you write about for the Coursework? I had to write an essay about Control and Power in A Kestrel for a Knave & Lord of the Flies. I got an A* for the essay. Also are you doing the English Language on June 7th?
Thanks! Good luck to you!

I've got a few past papers from different people who got A's and A*'s and they help as you know what to concentrate on and how much you should write. My teacher also said that about the introductions. I'm planning to do a one which is 2-3 lines, mentioning themes & context about the play.

In previous past papers I've included a bit too much irrelevant information etc but I've tidied that up to make everything more concise and to the point.

What did you write about for the Coursework? I had to write an essay about Control and Power in A Kestrel for a Knave & Lord of the Flies. I got an A* for the essay. Also are you doing the English Language on June 7th?

Yeah, I'm gonna look at some more past papers tomorrow too! Damn! Good job on that A*, that'll definitely boost your overall grade. For my coursework, I had to write about evil narrators for Porphyria's Lover, The Laboratory and Macbeth. I was 2 marks away from an A Q.Q! I've already done my English Language at the start of May - my exam board is Cambridge, wbu?
Yeah, I'm gonna look at some more past papers tomorrow too! Damn! Good job on that A*, that'll definitely boost your overall grade. For my coursework, I had to write about evil narrators for Porphyria's Lover, The Laboratory and Macbeth. I was 2 marks away from an A Q.Q! I've already done my English Language at the start of May - my exam board is Cambridge, wbu?

Thanks! I find that coursework is always the best option as it is a great way of securing a good grade, especially if you have a bad exam.

My exam board is AQA.
Thanks! I find that coursework is always the best option as it is a great way of securing a good grade, especially if you have a bad exam.

My exam board is AQA.

I'm doing the AQA IGCSE lit exam today too with journey's end! If it's any help, I got an A* in my coursework and I calculated that I need approximately 9 marks to pass today, 20 for a B, 30-35 for an A and about 50/75 for an A*

I don't know how to write an introduction concisely, do you literally just write something like "Journey's End was written by R C Sherriff in the 1920s. Based upon his time serving in the war, Journey's End explores themes such as cowardice, effect of war on a man, powerlessness, social class and more."? Or do you need more than that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending