The Student Room Group

Younger than me...

I'm 16 and a half, and have moved from my old school for 6th form. My old school was very small, everybody knows everybody. There's this one boy in year 9, age 14 who I'm friends with. We have been teased for the past few years (especially when we go to sailing club) about being together, but everyone knows it's just a joke. I liked someone else at the time anyway. But since spending so much time away from him, I've realised that we get on quite well, he always makes me laugh and we will give each other friendly hugs and stuff. In the future I see him being an amazing husband and father to someone. I LOVE him, and have a massive crush. I've recently been dreaming about kissing him, and being held in his arms, and it was the best dream I've had for ages!Next time I see him, in the school holidays, I want to let him know subtly that I like him more than just a friend. How can I do this?? I don't want to scare him, and don't know if he feels the same way, I think he may have done once but we don't get to see much of each other anymore. I don't know if a relationship at this time would be convenient, it would be his call. But I just need him to know what how much he means to me!!Also, do you think the age gap is too big/just weird and unnatural??Any opinions and advice is welcome!!Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmmm
:redface:
Be careful. Technically, you could be put on the sex offenders register if you have sex.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16 and a half, and have moved from my old school for 6th form. My old school was very small, everybody knows everybody. There's this one boy in year 9, age 14 who I'm friends with. We have been teased for the past few years (especially when we go to sailing club) about being together, but everyone knows it's just a joke. I liked someone else at the time anyway. But since spending so much time away from him, I've realised that we get on quite well, he always makes me laugh and we will give each other friendly hugs and stuff. In the future I see him being an amazing husband and father to someone. I LOVE him, and have a massive crush. I've recently been dreaming about kissing him, and being held in his arms, and it was the best dream I've had for ages!Next time I see him, in the school holidays, I want to let him know subtly that I like him more than just a friend. How can I do this?? I don't want to scare him, and don't know if he feels the same way, I think he may have done once but we don't get to see much of each other anymore. I don't know if a relationship at this time would be convenient, it would be his call. But I just need him to know what how much he means to me!!Also, do you think the age gap is too big/just weird and unnatural??Any opinions and advice is welcome!!Thanks xx

i'd go for it as it certainly sounds like it would work long term
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
Be careful. Technically, you could be put on the sex offenders register if you have sex.

Well... I was never planning to take it that far! I don't think I'm ready for that with anyone yet, even is he is. Just a fun, friendly, cuddly relationship 😊
so cute :cute:
Reply 6
Original post by jamesthehustler
i'd go for it as it certainly sounds like it would work long term

Yes... But what about the age gap?? And also it would be long distance. And also, I've realised that maybe I didn't see it before, but he is less mature than me, that doesn't change my love... But maybe wouldn't be good in a relationship? I don't know??! 😟
Well... I was never planning to take it that far! I don't think I'm ready for that with anyone yet, even is he is. Just a fun, friendly, cuddly relationship 😊

Then that's fine. And even if you did go that far, I wouldn't condemn it. Just don't let anyone find out haha
It sounds like you have a real friendship and connection with this guy. He's obviously very special to you. If you will be near each other this summer then maybe a casual summer fling would be nice. You could subtly let him know (like you said) but I don't know how to tell you to do that. But, the truth is that beyond a casual summer fling the 16 14 age difference is going to be hard to get through in the future. Your lives are will be at different stages and it will affect the relationship ultimately, imo. Hopefully, you can keep in touch through fb or something then later (much later) in life you can reconnect and the age gap won't matter but for now it will be an issue. But hey, there is always summer! But you know - this is just one person's opinion. Don't live with regrets - let him know and you can decide together if it could work out.
I wouldn't. I'd wait until he was at least 16.
Original post by Hopefully1
It sounds like you have a real friendship and connection with this guy. He's obviously very special to you. If you will be near each other this summer then maybe a casual summer fling would be nice. You could subtly let him know (like you said) but I don't know how to tell you to do that. But, the truth is that beyond a casual summer fling the 16 14 age difference is going to be hard to get through in the future. Your lives are will be at different stages and it will affect the relationship ultimately, imo. Hopefully, you can keep in touch through fb or something then later (much later) in life you can reconnect and the age gap won't matter but for now it will be an issue. But hey, there is always summer! But you know - this is just one person's opinion. Don't live with regrets - let him know and you can decide together if it could work out.

Thank you! This sounds like a perfect plan... I'll see what happens over the summer. I agree with everything you said completely, so true! And very inspirational!
Thanks for your advice. I suppose you have a point... But my school was so small (around 20 people in each year group!) that everyone mixed anyway, there weren't really boundaries like in other schools. I used to spend quite a few of my lunchtimes with his year group anyway, as I was friends with more than just him. I suppose it may have been boarder line weird, but people knew me, and I was just being friendly and helping out with homework and chatting and stuff.
Thank you for not judging!
Yes... But what about the age gap?? And also it would be long distance. And also, I've realised that maybe I didn't see it before, but he is less mature than me, that doesn't change my love... But maybe wouldn't be good in a relationship? I don't know??! 😟

a girl in my school was in year 11 and dated a year 8 and it worked ok for them
I'm year 11 and I basically friend-zoned this year 10 guy after he asked me out even though I had a crush on him smh. Stay friends for a couple years, maybe once you're out of school (or before) you could give it another shot, unless you are uninhibited unlike me :{

In some ways I wish I had just gone for it with the year 10 guy, but I still don't regret my decision....... If that makes me shallow, I don't care. We're still friends, and he has his year 10 gf, and it's cool with me.

Best of luck haha
Original post by jamesthehustler
a girl in my school was in year 11 and dated a year 8 and it worked ok for them

Wow. I'd never be able to date someone in year 10 as I'm in year 12 but supposed to be I year 13. It feels wrong for me, like I'd get judged and laughed out and plus the kids that age I know are really immature.

go for the mini d nothing wrong with love
I would wait until he turns 16 in year 11.
Original post by thefatone
go for the mini d nothing wrong with love

Apart from the statutory rape
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Apart from the statutory rape

Calls the cops they can't un rape you
Original post by Rhythmical
Wow. I'd never be able to date someone in year 10 as I'm in year 12 but supposed to be I year 13. It feels wrong for me, like I'd get judged and laughed out and plus the kids that age I know are really immature.

i have to admit i had several relationships all but one had an age gap in which i was the younger one
J was 2 years (y11 and y13)
K was 3 years (collage) (18 and 21)
L was same age (both y10)
D was 5 years (work)(16 and 21)
CO was 1 year (work)(16 and 17)
CH was 1 year (y7 and y8)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending