The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by IrrationalRoot
As evidenced here, there is no need for this topic to be on the spec for it to be 'allowed' on papers. Everyone should know how substitution of variables works, and this question is simply a matter of substituting p for a.

Exactly! I think it's important that AQA continue to set challenging and unusual questions, as maths exams at this level should be unique every year.

Students shouldn't expect to achieve top marks by just learning past paper questions and mark schemes. As everyone will have realised on Wednesday, it is necessary to fully understand the mathematical content within each topic as well. This 'learning the exam' tactic that many people seem to rely on will definitely not work at university!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sam_97
Exactly! I think it's important that AQA continue to set challenging and unusual questions, as maths exams at this level should be unique every year.

Students shouldn't expect to achieve top marks by just learning past paper questions and mark schemes. As everyone will have realised on Wednesday, it is necessary to fully understand the mathematical content within each topic as well. This 'learning the exam' tactic that many people seem to rely on will definitely not work at university!

Hope we have lots of challenging and unusual questions in FP2 :biggrin:. But more so in C3 and C4, gosh those modules are a drag...
Reply 582
Hope we have lots of challenging and unusual questions in FP2 :biggrin:. But more so in C3 and C4, gosh those modules are a drag...

I personally think FP2 is the most interesting further pure module on offer, although I can't comment on FP4 as I'm not sitting the exam.

Yeah the core modules are definitely a drag! Luckily I did normal maths last year though so I won't have to endure them again :tongue:.
Original post by sam_97
I personally think FP2 is the most interesting further pure module on offer, although I can't comment on FP4 as I'm not sitting the exam.

Yeah the core modules are definitely a drag! Luckily I did normal maths last year though so I won't have to endure them again :tongue:.

FP2 is definitely the most interesting maths module for me :smile:. Plus the papers are quite enjoyable unlike the average FP3 paper which is pretty boring.

FP4 does not look fun. At all. XD
It is literally just a course in linear algebra and absolutely nothing else...
Reply 584
FP2 is definitely the most interesting maths module for me :smile:. Plus the papers are quite enjoyable unlike the average FP3 paper which is pretty boring.

FP4 does not look fun. At all. XD
It is literally just a course in linear algebra and absolutely nothing else...

Definitely! Which other modules are you taking?
Original post by sam_97
Definitely! Which other modules are you taking?

M2 and FP2 left for FM and then C3, C4, M1. No stats for a whole year since I did S1/2 last year and don't do any of the STEP stats questions XD.
Reply 586
M2 and FP2 left for FM and then C3, C4, M1. No stats for a whole year since I did S1/2 last year and don't do any of the STEP stats questions XD.

Nice :smile: I've got FP1, FP2, M2, S2 and D1 left as I'm doing all of FM this year
Original post by sam_97

That doesn't apply here. The whole FP3 exam is about learning a method, there is very little you need to understand. It's just crunching algebra. That wasn't any different in this paper. Those that struggled either ran out of time, made silly errors or didn't learn the content enough.
Reply 588
Original post by -jordan-
That doesn't apply here. The whole FP3 exam is about learning a method, there is very little you need to understand. It's just crunching algebra. That wasn't any different in this paper. Those that struggled either ran out of time, made silly errors or didn't learn the content enough.

I know what you mean. For the purposes of this module, we don't really need to have a deep understanding of the maths behind each method. Still, I think it's a bad idea to just rely on past papers to try and learn content
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by sam_97
Nice :smile: I've got FP1, FP2, M2, S2 and D1 left as I'm doing all of FM this year

Do you have sit d1 directly after fp2 or do u get a break as it is on the same day
Original post by sam_97

Ah so we're both doing the same maths/further maths modules, nice :smile:.
Which uni are you applying to/which course?
Original post by -jordan-

I don't think this whole paper was about crunching algebra. There were plenty of times where the question tested the student's understanding of the topics.

Anyway, I don't think any maths exams should be focused solely on getting you to only learn methods; the exam would be far too easy, and the whole subject of maths is basically solving problems, so there should be at least some of that in the exam.
Original post by Hjyu1
Do you have sit d1 directly after fp2 or do u get a break as it is on the same day

If two exams are on the same day and at the same time there will be virtually no break between the papers.
Reply 593
If two exams are on the same day and at the same time there will be virtually no break between the papers.

Yeah I got fp2 and d1 as well wasn't sure if I got a break. That's going to be so long especially with d1 papers

One can have a break, but you need to be supervised for the entire time.
Reply 595
Original post by zetamcfc
One can have a break, but you need to be supervised for the entire time.

I think the 2 exams combined need too be longer than 3 hours to have a break
Reply 596
Original post by Hjyu1
I think the 2 exams combined need too be longer than 3 hours to have a break

At my sixth form we're allowed to have a break between any two exams that clash. So I'm going to be in 'isolation' for 3 hours between my PC3 and FP1 retake exams. The three hour rule is probably just a school rule so I'd just pester your school a bit till they give you a break as it'd definitely be worth it.
Reply 597
Original post by Hjyu1

I'm not too sure to be honest, that's one thing I need to find out!
Reply 598
Ah so we're both doing the same maths/further maths modules, nice :smile:.
Which uni are you applying to/which course?

I find decision quite repetitive but it's easy marks once you get the hang of it. Mechanics is my favourite applied module by far!

I've got an offer from Imperial for physics :smile:. How about you?
Hey, does anybody know how to answer this question... the point A is (2, 9, t) and B is (2t, 5, 3t), first find the modulus (magnitude) of vector A to B, then give the value of t that would make this modulus minimum, then state the value of this minimum. The answer says the value of t= 0.5 and the value of the minimum is 3 root 2 but I have no idea where this comes from???? I know its FP4 but I couldn't fins an FP4 thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending