The Student Room Group

How do the markers mark the papers?

As a self-learner, I'm curious about the marking methods. Are they going to go through all the bullet points written by the candidates? If so, will there be a mark reduction when a wrong statement is mentioned? Cheers~
They have a mark scheme for each paper. These are normally available on your exam board website.
Reply 2
Yea, but if I have written like 5 points for a 3-mark question, how will they mark it?
Reply 3
They throw it up the stairs and wherever it lands they judge it on that
Reply 4
Original post by lmao-_-
Yea, but if I have written like 5 points for a 3-mark question, how will they mark it?

It depends on the subject of the paper, and the markscheme for the paper.
I've seen some markschemes where the marker/examiner gives you a mark for any correct points you give.

Ultimately, it depends on the style of the question. If a question specifically asks for 3 points, and you give 5, you're suggesting to the examiner that you're unsure about your 3 points, so you're just adding extra points to be on the safe side. In this case, they'll just look at your first 3 points and ignore the rest.

If a question is more general, and you see it's a 3 marker, and you put down 5 points, the markscheme will usually have a long list of acceptable answers, and if at least 3 of your points are in that list, you'll get the 3 marks.

You will never get above the maximum amount of marks for the question, even if you put down additional correct points in your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest