The Student Room Group

If money isn't the most important thing, then what is?

Scroll to see replies

Good health and happiness in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xylas
Everyone knows why money is very important. The question is whether it is the most important thing.

I don't think you understand. Money is the easiest and quickest and sometimes the only way to get what you want. That is why it is the most important.

I don't need to justify it any further. This thread is about reasons why something else might be more important which you have not been able to argue. First you mentioned family, then people in general and now "other options" which I am dying to know what you mean by that...

Yeah cos we all know kids cost nothing... I'd love to hear how you've managed to live up to this point without money seeing as it 'means nothing'.

Is people not hating you the most important thing? Cos if it is, money can achieve that.

Ok yes kids do cost a bit, but only nappies really and stuff. I mean you don't even have to by baby food you can make it at home. It's not like you have to pay for school now is it.
I've been brought up not costing a lot of money for my parents, but I've had simple clothes and simple food. I didn't take up a lot of their money. It depends on personal preference really how you bring them up, I.e if you take them on holiday every year then money is going to be needed
Reply 62
Original post by shazy2014
Ok yes kids do cost a bit, but only nappies really and stuff. I mean you don't even have to by baby food you can make it at home. It's not like you have to pay for school now is it.
I've been brought up not costing a lot of money for my parents, but I've had simple clothes and simple food. I didn't take up a lot of their money. It depends on personal preference really how you bring them up, I.e if you take them on holiday every year then money is going to be needed

Would you rather have kids and no money or money but no kids?
I see money as a facilitator to experiences. It might not bring happiness in and of itself, but it will lead to some sense of content if used in the right way.

As for me, my goals are more important than money. But I need money to meet my goals.
Original post by xylas

Original post by Najeed23
Morals, modesty, dedication and hard work; I can't think of a reason why someone would hate you if you mind your own business and don't look down upon others.

Is people not hating you the most important thing? Cos if it is, money can achieve that.

No. That's not my point. What I meant is, no one will hate you if there's nothing bad you intend to do; the latter is what matters. You might disagree with me saying someone will hate you because you do something right; I don't care about such people, and it's better to maintain minimal contact with them - only when they need you, or you need them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Princepieman
I see money as a facilitator to experiences. It might not bring happiness in and of itself, but it will lead to some sense of content if used in the right way.

As for me, my goals are more important than money. But I need money to meet my goals.

Ergo money is more important. Would you rather have goals but no money or money but no goals? Explain your choice.
Original post by xylas
Ergo money is more important. Would you rather have goals but no money or money but no goals? Explain your choice.

My choice would be the goals. Plenty of money is out there to be both made and lost, I don't particularly place a huge personal value on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Najeed23
No. That's not my point. What I meant is, no one will hate you if there's nothing bad you intend to do; the latter is what matters. You might disagree with me saying someone will hate you because you do something right; I don't care about such people, and it's better to maintain minimal contact with them - only when they need you, or you need them.

Okay... No-one is arguing that, this thread is about the most important thing.

Original post by Princepieman
My choice would be the goals. Plenty of money is out there to be both made and lost, I don't particularly place a huge personal value on it.

But as you said you can't meet your goals without money. Without money you would find it hard to survive, without goals you can still live a happy life.

Also what you have written doesn't back up goals being more important than money.
Penis. It's ****ing great
Original post by xylas
Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.

Happiness. Being content with your life.
The saying "Money isn't everything" is both true and untrue. To be happy in life you need money. You can't be happy without money and that is a fact. Many people can argue against but that's the reality. Can you really be happy with no money? Let;s be honest, no.
However, there are many people with money who aren't happy so why aren't they happy? Well, personally I believe it's because of greed. Too much money can make you selfish resulting in unhappiness.

To be happy, you need money to be settled, but with that you need to have a clean heart, care for one another and then you will achieve the most important thing in life and that's HAPPINESS!
Original post by xylas
Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.

nothing is more important than happiness
and for me that is flashy cars, heavy jewellery and piles of bullion
Reply 71
Original post by mariah2011
Happiness. Being content with your life.
The saying "Money isn't everything" is both true and untrue. To be happy in life you need money. You can't be happy without money and that is a fact. Many people can argue against but that's the reality. Can you really be happy with no money? Let;s be honest, no.
However, there are many people with money who aren't happy so why aren't they happy? Well, personally I believe it's because of greed. Too much money can make you selfish resulting in unhappiness.

To be happy, you need money to be settled, but with that you need to have a clean heart, care for one another and then you will achieve the most important thing in life and that's HAPPINESS!

Therefore money is more important since without money you can't be happy. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.
Happiness
Money is the motive

How else am I going to build my own gold plated mansion?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
Would you rather have kids and no money or money but no kids?

Kids and no money
You?
Reply 75
Original post by Trapz99
Money is the motive

How else am I going to build my own gold plated mansion?

And die eventually, what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
And die eventually, what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really a valid argument tho. Everyone dies..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xylas
Therefore money is more important since without money you can't be happy. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

I guess you're right; I suppose money is the most important thing to lead to happiness! Sad that the reality is that money is the most important thing but thats life..
Reply 78
Original post by shazy2014
Kids and no money
You?

Definitely money and no kids. But good luck raising children into a struggled existence where you can barely support them (without being in debt to people like me with money) and they will always lack any opportunities in life due to having to work from a young age in order to put food on the table.

Original post by mariah2011
I guess you're right; I suppose money is the most important thing to lead to happiness! Sad that the reality is that money is the most important thing but thats life..

Exactly! I know it's hard to come by but I guess we have to train ourselves to be happy with the reality. I guess that's society's failing via the education system that we are not instilled with correct values by the time we become adults.

Spoiler

Original post by xylas
Everyone knows why money is very important. The question is whether it is the most important thing.

You still haven't explained why money is important, it's not the most important thing as it is only one way to achieve: less stress, a sense of achievement and potentially happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending