The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hep12345
Hey, does anybody know how to answer this question... the point A is (2, 9, t) and B is (2t, 5, 3t), first find the modulus (magnitude) of vector A to B, then give the value of t that would make this modulus minimum, then state the value of this minimum. The answer says the value of t= 0.5 and the value of the minimum is 3 root 2 but I have no idea where this comes from???? I know its FP4 but I couldn't fins an FP4 thread :smile:

You have a quadratic (I think) function of t inside the square root, find the minimum of that using completing the square/differentiation/whatever.
I have no clue what the minimum is though haha, do you set the quadratic from the modulus=0??
I've never seen a minimum before I'm literally clueless rn :')
I've never seen a minimum before I'm literally clueless rn :':wink:

Do you not know how to find the minimum point of a quadratic? Differentiate it and set the derivative equal to 0?
Original post by sam_97
I find decision quite repetitive but it's easy marks once you get the hang of it. Mechanics is my favourite applied module by far!

I've got an offer from Imperial for physics :smile:. How about you?

Maths at Warwick, with Imperial insurance.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I don't think this whole paper was about crunching algebra. There were plenty of times where the question tested the student's understanding of the topics.

Anyway, I don't think any maths exams should be focused solely on getting you to only learn methods; the exam would be far too easy, and the whole subject of maths is basically solving problems, so there should be at least some of that in the exam.

Other than polar coordinates what was there? All the differential equations are just a method to learn, Euler is a method to learn, Mclaurin's is a method to learn. The substitution question was a little more challenging than usual due to the tough integral at the end but you should at least score all of the marks before that by learning the method and knowing how to spot an integrating factor. I don't think the content on this paper was any challenging than usual. The algebra crunching was probably easier to make a mistake on and more time consuming this year.
Maths at Warwick, with Imperial insurance.

whats your imp offer mines A*A*A* kms
Original post by Number Nine
whats your imp offer mines A*A*A* kms

Just A*A*A :smile:.
Original post by -jordan-
Other than polar coordinates what was there? All the differential equations are just a method to learn, Euler is a method to learn, Mclaurin's is a method to learn. The substitution question was a little more challenging than usual due to the tough integral at the end but you should at least score all of the marks before that by learning the method and knowing how to spot an integrating factor. I don't think the content on this paper was any challenging than usual. The algebra crunching was probably easier to make a mistake on and more time consuming this year.

Polar, limit substitution, IBP integral, integral at the end of the substitution DE, PI of the other DE, etc.

No, these aren't that hard but I can guarantee that many students were thrown off by a lot of these changes simply because they were too used to the same questions every paper.
Hey, does anybody know how to answer this question... the point A is (2, 9, t) and B is (2t, 5, 3t), first find the modulus (magnitude) of vector A to B, then give the value of t that would make this modulus minimum, then state the value of this minimum. The answer says the value of t= 0.5 and the value of the minimum is 3 root 2 but I have no idea where this comes from???? I know its FP4 but I couldn't fins an FP4 thread :smile:

FP4 thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4018817
Polar, limit substitution, IBP integral, integral at the end of the substitution DE, PI of the other DE, etc.

No, these aren't that hard but I can guarantee that many students were thrown off by a lot of these changes simply because they were too used to the same questions every paper.

roll on fp4
Original post by Zacken
Do you not know how to find the minimum point of a quadratic? Differentiate it and set the derivative equal to 0?

Just seen your comment, I've just tried this and it worked!! thanks a lot

Aside from the limits question and potentially spotting the integral as a substitution they're all things you will have picked up by doing all of the past papers though.
The paper was certainly more difficult than previous papers but there was no particularly 'impossible' question. My problem was my nerves and that was worsened by the new cover, new format and its being the first exam etc and made a million silly mistakes I'd never made before. And because of the paper being more difficult and requiring more thought, there was no time for me to check over my working later on to spot the silly errors I'd made - which I've been complaining and kicking myself about. I think this was the case with a lot of people... And I fear the gb won't be as low as I'd like it to be as there was no one 'impossible' question
Original post by C0balt
worsened by the new cover

trigger warning: covers
Reply 615
Original post by C0balt
The paper was certainly more difficult than previous papers but there was no particularly 'impossible' question. My problem was my nerves and that was worsened by the new cover, new format and its being the first exam etc and made a million silly mistakes I'd never made before. And because of the paper being more difficult and requiring more thought, there was no time for me to check over my working later on to spot the silly errors I'd made - which I've been complaining and kicking myself about. I think this was the case with a lot of people... And I fear the gb won't be as low as I'd like it to be as there was no one 'impossible' question

I feel the same about it as you, I only just finished in time so I couldn't check my answers at the end. Silly errors are so irritating, as you can't go back and rectify them even though you knew what to do in the exam.
Original post by Number Nine
trigger warning: covers

oi where's the spoiler tag

Original post by sam_97
I feel the same about it as you, I only just finished in time so I couldn't check my answers at the end. Silly errors are so irritating, as you can't go back and rectify them even though you knew what to do in the exam.

it is depressing to think that I could miss the offer I worked so hard for just by making a few silly mistakes
Original post by C0balt

it is depressing to think that I could miss the offer I worked so hard for just by making a few silly mistakes

I messed up my Cambridge application just by making silly mistakes, doesn't get worse than that lol.
Reply 618
I messed up my Cambridge application just by making silly mistakes, doesn't get worse than that lol.

There's death, heard that's slightly worse #firstworldproblems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Pretty much describes my feelings really lmfao, if they pull an fp1 2015 gb on us tho i swear...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending