The Student Room Group

To what extent will bad AS grades hinder me? (new linear spec).

For the new specification A levels, will I be hindered by having relatively bad AS grades?
Besides the AS grades being used by teachers for A2 predictions, will it be something that a university will discriminate against me on? If say the offer for the course was AAA and in my AS levels I got ABBB, I was hoping that universities would overlook the AS grades as most students will not have them.
It seems rather unfair if this is not the case and my bad AS grades could affect my chances of an offer, given that it's a new specification and nobody really knows what to expect, which will likely correlate to low grades from even the most capable students.
Original post by Productivity
For the new specification A levels, will I be hindered by having relatively bad AS grades?
Besides the AS grades being used by teachers for A2 predictions, will it be something that a university will discriminate against me on? If say the offer for the course was AAA and in my AS levels I got ABBB, I was hoping that universities would overlook the AS grades as most students will not have them.
It seems rather unfair if this is not the case and my bad AS grades could affect my chances of an offer, given that it's a new specification and nobody really knows what to expect, which will likely correlate to low grades from even the most capable students.

AS grades if you have them will be one of the things universities will look at but they will also look at other things like your personal statement and predicted grades.
Does anyone else have any other opinion/insight?
Does anyone else have any other opinion/insight?

Were you predicted ABBB or did you actually get ABBB? In my school, students who received ABB/ BBB were predicted AAA/AAB. And if these are new A levels meaning you only had mock exams, you shouldn't worry too much. If those are your actual grades they are awesome not bad.
Original post by Cherry82
Were you predicted ABBB or did you actually get ABBB? In my school, students who received ABB/ BBB were predicted AAA/AAB. And if these are new A levels meaning you only had mock exams, you shouldn't worry too much. If those are your actual grades they are awesome not bad.

ABBB is what I expect to get at the end of AS. Also they won't be mock exams as I've been entered for the AS, despite still carrying on to A2.
ABBB is what I expect to get at the end of AS. Also they won't be mock exams as I've been entered for the AS, despite still carrying on to A2.

Oh I see.
On the note, I think it's best to wait until results day to know what you've definitely received. Sorry after I read 'for the new specification A levels' I thought you had meant reformed subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
"To what extent..."

This isn't an exam :lol:!

But no, seriously, I don't think they'll hinder you too much. For a start, AABB is not poor. Secondly, I agree with what the first response said:

If you have them, they'll look at them but they're also going to be considering other things such as your predicted grades and your personal statement/references.
Original post by ivybridge
"To what extent..."

This isn't an exam :lol:!

But no, seriously, I don't think they'll hinder you too much. For a start, AABB is not poor. Secondly, I agree with what the first response said:

If you have them, they'll look at them but they're also going to be considering other things such as your predicted grades and your personal statement/references.

I didn't really think of the other features of the application much, I was too busy focusig on the AS grades solely:colondollar:
This gives me some peace of mind though, as I was scared that lower AS grades severely spoil my chances.
Thank you to you, and the other poster:yep:
I didn't really think of the other features of the application much, I was too busy focusig on the AS grades solely:colondollar:
This gives me some peace of mind though, as I was scared that lower AS grades severely spoil my chances.
Thank you to you, and the other poster:yep:

No worries.

Where are you considering applying to and what for? That would probably give you much more specific answers.
Original post by ivybridge
No worries.

Where are you considering applying to and what for? That would probably give you much more specific answers.

I was looking at Chemical Engineering, and standard Russel Group universities such as Birmingham, Nottingham etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a simillar situation (I had to drop one of my subjects as i was getting a D and didn't want to get a D as an AS). But i called up a lit of uni's including Oxbridge and many bar one said that they won't be looking at AS's as not all 6th forms/colleges are looking at them. Therefore, they will look at your preditced grades and PS and other tests/GCSEs/interviews if required. :smile:
I was looking at Chemical Engineering, and standard Russel Group universities such as Birmingham, Nottingham etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you'll have much of an issue. It's a new set of specs and the bar hasn't been set yet. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest