The Student Room Group

How is everyone getting on with AS-level Biology revision?

How is everyone getting on with AS-level Biology revision? What ways are you revising?
I don't have a clue on how to revise!! I made notes a couple of months ago but now I've forgotten most of it and it's so boring just to read through it and trying to remember it! I don't know what I'm going to do!! Anybody help, also i can't really do any past papers aswell beacuse i cant remember anything!!
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
I don't have a clue on how to revise!! I made notes a couple of months ago but now I've forgotten most of it and it's so boring just to read through it and trying to remember it! I don't know what I'm going to do!! Anybody help, also i can't really do any past papers aswell beacuse i cant remember anything!!

I'm the same!! I've made notes, flashcards, have practiced going through past papers (un-timed) but I'm still left behind the pack it seems! There is just so much content and nothing really seems to be sticking which is kind of annoying tbh! :frown:
Original post by Philip-flop
How is everyone getting on with AS-level Biology revision? What ways are you revising?

I had even posted a question on biology practicals AS...need help on that bit..you are talking about 9700, biology right?? Well, that and if i can get someone to help me perfect them skills for practicals i will be calm...otherwise am not.

Hw's your revision going? :P :biggrin:
Original post by priyaasin
I had even posted a question on biology practicals AS...need help on that bit..you are talking about 9700, biology right?? Well, that and if i can get someone to help me perfect them skills for practicals i will be calm...otherwise am not.

Hw's your revision going? :P :biggrin:

I'm doing Edexcel AS-level Biology A (Salters Nuffield) the new 2015 spec. I'm having trouble remembering practicals too! Are you doing Edexcel's spec?
I'm doing Edexcel AS-level Biology A (Salters Nuffield) the new 2015 spec. I'm having trouble remembering practicals too! Are you doing Edexcel's spec?

No maan Cie...but either way...biology is still biology lol :/

Good luck!!

My AQA notes
I've been revising since September and I still feel like I know nowhere near enough. I've been averaging around A/B grades but the specimen papers seem so much harder than the past papers I've been tested on in class.
Original post by memoriial
I've been revising since September and I still feel like I know nowhere near enough. I've been averaging around A/B grades but the specimen papers seem so much harder than the past papers I've been tested on in class.

Great!! I have no chance of getting a fairly decent grade then if even an 'A' grade student is struggling!! Any revision tips for an average person like myself? Also has your teacher given you any useful advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheAlphaParticle

Try doing past papers anyway, then making a note of questions you had no idea about, had vague ideas about and knew. Eg if you get a question on the role of Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum and are like 'what the heck' then write it down, and revise it. i use notes and flashcards. It's also worth noting down what you thought you got right but were wrong, because faulty facts could cost you a couple grades. Also, revise topics as wholes, so dont just do RER for example, revise all organelles. hope i help, and if you're on OCR A, then good luck for thursday!
Great!! I have no chance of getting a fairly decent grade then if even an 'A' grade student is struggling!! Any revision tips for an average person like myself? Also has your teacher given you any useful advice?

My original teacher left just before Easter, and the new teacher I have isn't so great (not that I particularly liked my original teacher, but at least she taught instead of reading out the textbook). So not really. I'd say focus on nailing the basics of biological molecules, then extend your revision out from that. Apparently protein synthesis is likely (although what that's based on, I have no clue).
I've been revising since September and i feel like i know everything better but im still making stupid mistakes. I've also been looking at how to answer the questions, like what they want for a describe, explain etc. but any bets none of the work pays off, again!
Original post by memoriial
My original teacher left just before Easter, and the new teacher I have isn't so great (not that I particularly liked my original teacher, but at least she taught instead of reading out the textbook). So not really. I'd say focus on nailing the basics of biological molecules, then extend your revision out from that. Apparently protein synthesis is likely (although what that's based on, I have no clue).

Oh wow, What a ridiculous time for your teacher to leave!! I'm actually panicking so much! There is so much "Math Skills" that I don't know about!! What even is the 'Chi-Squared test'? :frown:

Original post by blemily97
I've been revising since September and i feel like i know everything better but im still making stupid mistakes. I've also been looking at how to answer the questions, like what they want for a describe, explain etc. but any bets none of the work pays off, again!

You're probably in a better position than me though tbh! Just stick at it!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ahh for biology there's so much to learn, but in case this helps anyone I've been using quizlet to memorise little details (here's the link to my flashcards, I'm not sure if they'll be helpful or not but if you just search for AS Biology there should be loads more on the website) and I've been drawing out diagrams of cell organelles, xylem and phloem etc. I'm doing AQA biology btw. If anyone needs any help on aqa biology I might be able to, I feel like I've got most of it down!
Good luck everyone!
Reply 14
Original post by Student14141
My AQA notes

This is a life saver, thanks for this!
Reply 15
OCR AS BIOLOGY A (2015) - These puns are getting cornea and cornea...
http://link.q.is/Pnwc/QvKOBHPGFt

This is a quiz for Biology and it is getting constantly updated so it's really great for quick fire revision and good for practice of Multiple choice questions. Although its based from the OCR Spec, it's still useful for revision because biology is simply biology... So enjoy revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How Was the resit for everyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending