The Student Room Group

The evil eye

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by *Alisha*
I'm not Arab or Turkish. But it does exist because my dad's crazy mum used it on my dad!
It's black magic.

Really? What happened to him?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
What a load of nonsense. I challenge anyone to put the evil eye on me.

Challenge Accepted
Reply 82
Posted from TSR Mobile

Evil eye is real. But hanging amulets is haram because that is what the sahir (magician who pretends to be a sheikh) uses to bring you sih (magic) and worsen your condition. It is a way to make you rely on others over allah. The magician will give you an amulet then you will feel better for a short time this is only a trick to make you think that this amulet is the reason the evil left you. And thus you will be relieng on other things over allah. It is kufr to rely on a magician/amulet. A person who does that their salah will not be accepted for 40 nights.
This is just total superstition, imo.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Challenge Accepted

What are you going to try to do? I'll tell you if you've succeeded.
Reply 85
Original post by queen-bee
I know it doesn't.

So why mention it :woo:
Reply 86
Original post by Listers
So why mention it :woo:

Because I want to
Reply 87
Because I want to

Doesn't make too much sense but, it's cool.
Reply 88
Original post by Listers
Doesn't make too much sense but, it's cool.

Not really something to get worked up over. I was giving some background info,just like other people have stated that it also exists in their cultures. Get over it and move on
Reply 89
Not really something to get worked up over. I was giving some background info,just like other people have stated that it also exists in their cultures. Get over it and move on

I wasn't getting worked over it. I just said that writing something pointless just because you want to is even more pointless and based on the thumbs up my initial comment got, i guess i'm right.
Reply 90
Original post by Listers
I wasn't getting worked over it. I just said that writing something pointless just because you want to is even more pointless and based on the thumbs up my initial comment got, i guess i'm right.

Because I want to and because I can. Now,yallah!

Do you know about the cultural significance of the evil eye in Persian culture? :h: I think it's fascinating.
Reply 92
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Do you know about the cultural significance of the evil eye in Persian culture? :h: I think it's fascinating.

No,unfortunately I don't Hun. Do you?
Reply 93
I believe in it cause my parents are so superstitious lol
No,unfortunately I don't Hun. Do you?

In traditional wedding ceremonies Esfand is burned to ward off the evil eye.
http://www.mypersiankitchen.com/esfand-the-evil-eye/
http://www.chaiandconversation.com/2015/aroosi-everything-youve-ever-wanted-know-about-persian-weddings
As I said, personally I'm cynical - but it is always interesting to see different customs and traditions! :h:

Of course, these are traditional - and weddings are more modern nowadays, but they still survive.
Really? What happened to him?

Are you Muslim?....
As black magic is satanic. It was used on my parents to split them up and my dad was cheating on my mum...and his mum said other people used black magic on him. Don't know how stupid my grandma's making him. It's stupid that he's mum wants him to suffer.
Original post by childofthesun
My family believe in it, but don't display charms around the house or anything like that. My grandma is crazy when it comes to stuff like that though-probably because of an experience her daughter(my aunt) had.

SAMEEE. My Grandma isn't into fairty-tale ****, but she believes in the evil eye due to some personal experience but you know..
I used to wear one. Im not from that region tho. We made friends with the receptionist at our hotel when we went Turkey and she gave me her bracelet when we left. Ended up wearing it for years until it broke.
My fellow medittaraneans,Turks,Arabs/middle easterners and everyone else..do you believe in the evil eye? Or the ayn al hasad

Do you wear a nazar bead around your neck or have them around the house as you enter or in other room? I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what a nazar is
image.jpeg
Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

How about you all click on my signature :smile:
My fellow medittaraneans,Turks,Arabs/middle easterners and everyone else..do you believe in the evil eye? Or the ayn al hasad

Do you wear a nazar bead around your neck or have them around the house as you enter or in other room? I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what a nazar is
image.jpeg
Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

I don't believe in it personally but when I went on holiday to Greece and Turkey they had quite a lot for sale. My next door neighbours must believe in it though, they have a big one hung up next to their doorbell

Quick Reply

Latest