The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I view this from a third angle as I'm doing Access to HE at a local college and quite frankly I find both sets of students incredibly immature.

When I witness some of their childish behaviour while I'm waiting in the corridor in the morning I thank god I don't have to share a class with any of them.

I know not all of them are like that but a hell of a lot of them are.
Original post by 99joey
I took A-Level ICT and then A-Level Computing at my school, however there was a point when I was considering taking ICT BTEC because I wanted to aim directly into an ICT career although I later re-considered this. In terms of the ICT BTEC at least, it was clear to me that the A-Level ICT was far harder. You could say it was the type of examination, got BTEC ICT and A-level had a coursework assignment however A-level also had an examination which was absent for BTEC. I am not going to generalise all BTEC's, however I do believe it is the general consensus that A-levels are harder, simply for the facts that University's respect and desire A-levels more. However if you are taking a BTEC it isn't an attack on you. Its just there are varying levels of difficulty, including within A-levels, such as the 'soft' and 'hard' subjects. Its just the reality of the situation I believe, There is more content at an higher advanced level taught at A-level, at least in my opinion. However that doesn't mean you are bad for taking a BTEC, just people chose different things, and a BTEC is, as you stated more for going directly into work whereas A-levels are for University hence are up to a higher level in my opinion to provide that direct transition into University. Hope I have explained myself well :smile:

Actually depending on the subject, BTECs offer the same level of content as A levels it's just that they are taught differently. The content in my BTEC was comparable with my a levels, it was just that A levels involve more detail.
Original post by Robinin
Oh, I see, do you reckon it would be fair to say that the difficulty depends on how you, personally, work rather than the qualification itself, though? Like, some people are more suited to exams than coursework, so you sound pretty gifted to me, tbh :smile: (also I just realised that I ****ed up and said that maths would be easier instead of harder, sorry, I fixed it though :smile:)

Probably, i did not study properly while i was at sixth form. I overestimated myself terribly and paid for it.
Original post by 99joey
I took A-Level ICT and then A-Level Computing at my school, however there was a point when I was considering taking ICT BTEC because I wanted to aim directly into an ICT career although I later re-considered this. In terms of the ICT BTEC at least, it was clear to me that the A-Level ICT was far harder. You could say it was the type of examination, got BTEC ICT and A-level had a coursework assignment however A-level also had an examination which was absent for BTEC. I am not going to generalise all BTEC's, however I do believe it is the general consensus that A-levels are harder, simply for the facts that University's respect and desire A-levels more. However if you are taking a BTEC it isn't an attack on you. Its just there are varying levels of difficulty, including within A-levels, such as the 'soft' and 'hard' subjects. Its just the reality of the situation I believe, There is more content at an higher advanced level taught at A-level, at least in my opinion. However that doesn't mean you are bad for taking a BTEC, just people chose different things, and a BTEC is, as you stated more for going directly into work whereas A-levels are for University hence are up to a higher level in my opinion to provide that direct transition into University. Hope I have explained myself well :smile:

Trust me, you couldn't have done a better job of explaining yourself :smile: To be honest, I get a little bit defensive of people taking BTECs, because I have some older friends doing them, and they work so damn hard, and I'm really used to people being kind of snobbish about BTECs on here, saying that only idiot and unmotivated people take them, so I'm sorry if I came off as a little bit intense ^^'
Original post by Terminator01
Probably, i did not study properly while i was at sixth form. I overestimated myself terribly and paid for it.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I won't pry any further, but I do hope that things have/will become better for you since then :smile:
Original post by Robinin
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I won't pry any further, but I do hope that things have/will become better for you since then :smile:

They did (:
They did (:

Glad to hear it :smile:
Reply 27

I get you, I did very well last year and because of that I went into this year cocky and arrogant and now I am extremely underprepared for my exams, so much so that I have to chose one to flunk so that I have a fighting chance at the other two. Well It is a life lesson from which to learn I guess :/
Original post by Robinin
The only inherent difference between BTEC and A-level students is the type of qualification they are doing, although, perhaps, BTEC students may be more passionate about what they're doing, since they're doing something more specific, as they know that they want to do it. Anyway, it's probably just that your college that's full of *****, rather than anything else.

BTEC courses are not inherently easier than A-level courses, many A-level students go to college and only have to attend 2-3 days a week, whilst many BTEC students have to work a full five day week, it all comes down to the courses you choose to do, rather than the type of qualification you choose,especially since most BTEC students opt to do level 3 BTECs which are equivalent to 3 A-levels, so don’t even act like BTEC qualifications are somehow less valuable than A-level qualifications. Plus, before anyone comments that A-levels better prepare you for university, so you’re more likely to get in: BTECs are for people interested in going to work sooner, and are the best way to achieve that (not that it’s impossible to get into a university with a BTEC, many people do). Besides, not everybody wants to go to university, or even a top university, for that matter :unimpressed:

Actually, in my opinion, making broad generalisations based on your limited experiences is the truly immature thing to do, and is actually quite disrespectful,especially when you're undermining the hard work of some people (BTEC students).

Your post really comes across as arrogant and hypocritical; you attack the person who made a comment that wasn't even harsh or condescending, yet you do the exact same to them. Some BTEC courses like Engineering are probably quite difficult / equipping for life as an engineer, but the majority get a reputation for being very easy. And, actually, in my opinion, making a pathetic sulky response to someone giving an opinion is the truly immature thing to do.
If you are reading this, I apologise. I just saw your reply to other comments and they came across in a much more pleasant light. Sorry again.
Original post by Inexorably
This is a silly generalisation. Being 20 years old and doing AS + A2 levels, I can assure you A Level students are certainly not 'mature' by any stretch.

Are you 20 & doing A Levels? Are you in 6th form by any chance
Original post by Midnight1811
Are you 20 & doing A Levels? Are you in 6th form by any chance

Yeah, I'm at a further education college :tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
Yeah, I'm at a further education college :tongue:

Fantastic, I am in a similar situation myself. What are you studying?
Original post by Midnight1811
Fantastic, I am in a similar situation myself. What are you studying?

Awesome man :smile:

A2 Sociology, AS Philosophy, AS German - how about yourself?
Smarter people usually correlates to more mature ppl. A levels have smarter people
Reply 35
Depends on the BTEC tbh, if its BTEC sport then in my opinion, they have roadmen or them people who decide to follow the crowd of banter
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Your post really comes across as arrogant and hypocritical; you attack the person who made a comment that wasn't even harsh or condescending, yet you do the exact same to them. Some BTEC courses like Engineering are probably quite difficult / equipping for life as an engineer, but the majority get a reputation for being very easy. And, actually, in my opinion, making a pathetic sulky response to someone giving an opinion is the truly immature thing to do.

Dude, we've already sorted the issue, I admit that my response was poorly thought out and a bit rash, but I've already been over it with OP and another person, please don't make a big deal out of it.
Edit: Sorry, just saw your other comment, it's all good :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
A betec is like a golf cart, but an a level is like sporty super hatchback.
Btec students and a level students in a sixth form are the same age and therefore levels of maturity in a class purely depends on the students present and the abilities of the teacher to control the class. Btecs are often more difficult than a levels due to the extreme workload tudents need to complete. A levels are assessed mostly by exam by most boards. However as the btec is more vocational it is done through vast amounts of coursework. Health and social care level 3 students typically have at least 1 coursework assignment a week,sometimes as many as 3. As of last year btecs now include both coursework and exams. This has made the qualification even tougher.
I do a BTEC and can't cope with the workload.

Some many assignments due in one week with hardly any teaching

I actually wish i opted for A levels, and get taught the content and sit exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending