The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB1 - Friday 20th May 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by megandardenne
That is so awful! I would complain

She's actually my neighbour so it was extra awkward! She was embarrassed once she realised she was wrong though.
Reply 141
@tagliatilly, @psych143, @Jedwards, @megandardenne, @010314, and @Conceited:

How did you all find it? What questions did you do?
Original post by ivybridge

I did the Ancient Mariner for Section A, and Keats, Gatsby and the Kite Runner for Section B (the question on characterisation). I thought the questions were really nice to be honest, but I'm not sure I answered them particularly well (although I'm sure I did better than last year)... I find the time limits on English exams always makes me rush everything and I never write as well as I would normally... how did you find it?
Reply 143
Original post by tagliatilly
I did the Ancient Mariner for Section A, and Keats, Gatsby and the Kite Runner for Section B (the question on characterisation). I thought the questions were really nice to be honest, but I'm not sure I answered them particularly well (although I'm sure I did better than last year)... I find the time limits on English exams always makes me rush everything and I never write as well as I would normally... how did you find it?

I felt as though the little (b) for Browning was not particularly kind but I did it anyway and 'The Patriot' was what I predicted to come up so I was prepared for that. I also did the final question (significance of characterisation); I thought they were bit annoying really. I mean it's kind of like: "yes, well, they're significant because without them, Fitzgerald has no novel." :lol:
I felt as though the little (b) for Browning was not particularly kind but I did it anyway and 'The Patriot' was what I predicted to come up so I was prepared for that. I also did the final question (significance of characterisation); I thought they were bit annoying really. I mean it's kind of like: "yes, well, they're significant because without them, Fitzgerald has no novel." :lol:

Yeah I agree the characterisation question was kinda too wide... like I'd rather it'd been narrowed down to something a little more specific really. I wasn't sure where to start. Maybe something on antagonists or something would've been nice. I laughed when I saw the question on the last sentences though!! How appropriate for the final paper in that spec. The Ancient Mariner questions were pretty good for me but I don't think I answered the debate question very well!
Reply 145
Yeah I agree the characterisation question was kinda too wide... like I'd rather it'd been narrowed down to something a little more specific really. I wasn't sure where to start. Maybe something on antagonists or something would've been nice. I laughed when I saw the question on the last sentences though!! How appropriate for the final paper in that spec. The Ancient Mariner questions were pretty good for me but I don't think I answered the debate question very well!

My friend did the last sentences one - that was a gift for my texts but it threw me at first. I kind of wished I'd done it now.
My friend did the last sentences one - that was a gift for my texts but it threw me at first. I kind of wished I'd done it now.

Yeah same thing happened to me, my friend did the last sentences one and I kinda wished I had done!! I was gonna do that one but the only thing that put me off was that I had no idea what to write about the last sentence of the Eve of St Ages (Keats).
Reply 147
Yeah same thing happened to me, my friend did the last sentences one and I kinda wished I had done!! I was gonna do that one but the only thing that put me off was that I had no idea what to write about the last sentence of the Eve of St Ages (Keats).

Oh well, all done now. It was a fair-ish paper and what's done is done. I don't really need a higher grade in it anyway so I'll just focus on The Gothic now for A2. What's your A2 Unit?
Oh well, all done now. It was a fair-ish paper and what's done is done. I don't really need a higher grade in it anyway so I'll just focus on The Gothic now for A2. What's your A2 Unit?

Yeah I try not to worry too much about exams once they're done. Worrying won't change my grade, it's done now! I got a B last time so ideally I'd get an A this time... but I'm not too confident. Who knows. I'm doing the Gothic too!! I find it a lot easier than aspects of narrative.
Reply 149
Yeah I try not to worry too much about exams once they're done. Worrying won't change my grade, it's done now! I got a B last time so ideally I'd get an A this time... but I'm not too confident. Who knows. I'm doing the Gothic too!! I find it a lot easier than aspects of narrative.

The Gothic is generally so much easier because you don't have this stupid Aspects of Narrative breakdown and the texts, in my opinion, are so much more gripping and interesting. I think that's just the nature of the gothic style to be honest, all the blood and mystery; so dark and enticing. What texts do you do?
The Gothic is generally so much easier because you don't have this stupid Aspects of Narrative breakdown and the texts, in my opinion, are so much more gripping and interesting. I think that's just the nature of the gothic style to be honest, all the blood and mystery; so dark and enticing. What texts do you do?

Yeah I agree. I found aspects of narrative incredibly dull and incredibly confusing to get my head around. I feel like I just have a lot more to say about Gothic literature, and I also find the exam a lot easier. I'm doing Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, and Macbeth! What about you?
Reply 151
Yeah I agree. I found aspects of narrative incredibly dull and incredibly confusing to get my head around. I feel like I just have a lot more to say about Gothic literature, and I also find the exam a lot easier. I'm doing Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, and Macbeth! What about you?

You're doing the exact same texts as me :lol:
You're doing the exact same texts as me :lol:

Beginning to think we might come from the same school..... what do you think of them? I think Macbeth is my favourite of all of them. I used to hate it because we were taught it really badly at secondary school, but I love it now. I appreciate Angela Carter but The Bloody Chamber can get a bit too much sometimes...! And Frankenstein is SUCH a good idea for a novel but I think it could've been written better?? Sorry Mary Shelley..... :s-smilie:
Reply 153
Beginning to think we might come from the same school..... what do you think of them? I think Macbeth is my favourite of all of them. I used to hate it because we were taught it really badly at secondary school, but I love it now. I appreciate Angela Carter but The Bloody Chamber can get a bit too much sometimes...! And Frankenstein is SUCH a good idea for a novel but I think it could've been written better?? Sorry Mary Shelley..... :s-smilie:

I'm going to make a new thread - I'll tag you in it and we can discuss this!
I'm going to make a new thread - I'll tag you in it and we can discuss this!

Good idea!!

I loved the paper haha, I'm just hoping I answered the questions well haha.

I did Gatsby in section A and the closing lines for section B.

How did you find it?
Reply 156
Original post by Jedwards
I loved the paper haha, I'm just hoping I answered the questions well haha.

I did Gatsby in section A and the closing lines for section B.

How did you find it?

It was okay. I did Browning in Section A and Characterisation in Section B.

Good luck.
It was okay. I did Browning in Section A and Characterisation in Section B.

Good luck.

Thanks, best of luck to you!

I was really considering Browning before that exam, I just didn't care for that second 21 marker so thought I'd go for Gatsby instead.
Does anyone remember what were the Auden questions?, my minds gone blank aha

Quick Reply

Latest