The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello guys :biggrin:
Y'all doing the Maths exam on Thursday, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon
Hello guys :biggrin:
Y'all doing the Maths exam on Thursday, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Yeah I am, how are you feeling about it? I was feeling alright with maths until we did the Jan 2016 papers in class as a test and everyone, including me, got at least 20% less than normal. It was really hard, I hope our real one isn't like that.
Original post by niv1234
Hi,
Yeah I am, how are you feeling about it? I was feeling alright with maths until we did the Jan 2016 papers in class as a test and everyone, including me, got at least 20% less than normal. It was really hard, I hope our real one isn't like that.

Oh... Really? I was just about to do the Jan 16 papers. Idk, I think I'm around 90% prepared. But if the Jan papers are that hard... How about I do them and then get back to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon
Oh... Really? I was just about to do the Jan 16 papers. Idk, I think I'm around 90% prepared. But if the Jan papers are that hard... How about I do them and then get back to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, it could have been just my year but the grade boundaries were quite a bit lower than normal 60% was an A, I think,I can't remember exactly.
Original post by niv1234
Ok, it could have been just my year but the grade boundaries were quite a bit lower than normal 60% was an A, I think,I can't remember exactly.

Yeah, I also thought they were really tough. You needed 60 marks for an A
Hey!
Tbh, the grade boundary for Maths is quite low. The last time I checked it was 70 something for an A*. Not going to lie, I can partly agree that 2016 Jan was slightly hard. If Jan paper was hard, June paper prolly isn't that hard. Idk tho. Let's just hope for the best.
x.
:smile:
The probability question in the 3H paper was hard. The rest of 3H was quite good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i hope they aren't too harsh this year also last june they included stuff that is not on our syllabus
i do this too, trust me maths aint even dat deep jus revise the day before and youll do bits
Original post by salty670
i hope they aren't too harsh this year also last june they included stuff that is not on our syllabus

Oh yeah that is true. I was confused seeing that
I found Jan 2016 paper quite good. 😄

We'll do an unofficial mark scheme after the exam, OK. :smile:
Original post by colourlessness
Hey!
Tbh, the grade boundary for Maths is quite low. The last time I checked it was 70 something for an A*. Not going to lie, I can partly agree that 2016 Jan was slightly hard. If Jan paper was hard, June paper prolly isn't that hard. Idk tho. Let's just hope for the best.
x.
:smile:

My teacher said that the maths paper from jan 2016 was the closest to our real paper and that they have been getting harder from around 2014. She said that what we got was a true indication of what we would get in summer which panicked me as I went from getting close to 90 each time to getting in the 60s.
Original post by niv1234
My teacher said that the maths paper from jan 2016 was the closest to our real paper and that they have been getting harder from around 2014. She said that what we got was a true indication of what we would get in summer which panicked me as I went from getting close to 90 each time to getting in the 60s.

Yeah same. My maths teacher said the same thing. He said Edexcel is following CIE and so, they will try to make it hard.
Original post by niv1234

Ohhh no! :frown:

I hope I can get my A ! :-)
Original post by _Xenon_
Ohhh no! :frown:

I hope I can get my A ! :-)

I think we all found the jan 2016 paper hard as lots of things that hadn't come up in any of the other papers we had done came up. So we had all been doing at least 2 papers a week for quite a few months at this time and getting close to 90 so we thought we were sorted for this practice test but stuff that was on the syllabus but had never come up in any of the papers we had done came up for example function graphs and interquartile range but not on a cumulative frequency graph. So I would say to everyone learn everything on the syllabus and don't just do past papers. I am not sure if I have said this on here already, I am sorry if I have but this is a really good website where they have put together questions based on topic.
http://www.castleschool.co.uk/student-resources/maths/
Original post by niv1234
I think we all found the jan 2016 paper hard as lots of things that hadn't come up in any of the other papers we had done came up. So we had all been doing at least 2 papers a week for quite a few months at this time and getting close to 90 so we thought we were sorted for this practice test but stuff that was on the syllabus but had never come up in any of the papers we had done came up for example function graphs and interquartile range but not on a cumulative frequency graph. So I would say to everyone learn everything on the syllabus and don't just do past papers. I am not sure if I have said this on here already, I am sorry if I have but this is a really good website where they have put together questions based on topic.
http://www.castleschool.co.uk/student-resources/maths/

Thank you. :smile:
Good luck. :-)
Original post by _Xenon_
Thank you. :smile:
Good luck. :-)

Your welcome, good luck to you too.
Do you feel prepared?
Original post by niv1234
Your welcome, good luck to you too.
Do you feel prepared?

Not really :frown:

Tomorrow I'll spend the whole day doing maths
Original post by _Xenon_
Not really :frown:

Tomorrow I'll spend the whole day doing maths

Me too, I have left all my revision to the last minute despite having 8 exams next week :frown:.. I am such a lazy person.
Original post by niv1234
Me too, I have left all my revision to the last minute despite having 8 exams next week :frown:.. I am such a lazy person.

I have 5. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest