The Student Room Group

My friend is dating a 52 year old guy. What should I do?

Poll

Should I tell her parents?

My good friend confessed to me that she's dating an 'older man' and at first I was supportive but when she told me just how much older he was I shuddered. I don't know what to do. Why would she do this to herself? She's 19 and her life is just beginning why would she do this? She is a confident person and always happy in herself and takes pride in herself as well. So I was completely shocked to learn this.

I know her family, her sisters/brothers. Should I tell them?

I added a poll please vote.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I forgot to say that he is not even wealthy.
i just don't know how to react to things anymore
Reply 3
Definitely an enormous age gap.
Would you say she's mature for her age?
Original post by iEthan
i just don't know how to react to things anymore

Totally agree.

OP - just advise her as best you can. They are at completely different stages and he'll want things she doesn't. The gap is too big.
Original post by Joel 96
Definitely an enormous age gap.
Would you say she's mature for her age?

As mature as an average 19 year old, she is more intelligent than the average 19 year old though in fact she had the best A-levels in our school and UMS wise she easily had 100% in 2 out of the 4 subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by Kylie Jenner
As mature as an average 19 year old, she is more intelligent than the average 19 year old though in fact she had the best A-levels in our school and UMS wise she easily had 100% in 2 out of the 4 subjects.

And what's the guy like? Have you met him?
You said he's not wealthy, but is he poor?
Original post by ivybridge
Totally agree.

OP - just advise her as best you can. They are at completely different stages and he'll want things she doesn't. The gap is too big.

I have advised her to break it off. But she's not receptive. She even told me that I was being judgmental which is why she didn't tell me sooner. They have been dating since November 2015.
this is well out of order... dating an old impoverished geezer... what on earth is going on ?????

smh
Reply 9

:K:
I have advised her to break it off. But she's not receptive. She even told me that I was being judgmental which is why she didn't tell me sooner. They have been dating since November 2015.

I would just say that you are being judgmental because somebody has to be. He was 33 when she was being born. That's concerning.

Oh no, it's not even about the money!
Original post by Joel 96
And what's the guy like? Have you met him?
You said he's not wealthy, but is he poor?

I don't know anything about him apart from the fact that he has 3 children, all older than her late twenties or even 30.

He lives alone and she's spent the night at his regularly.
your friend is disgusting and should be ashamed of herself
Original post by Cobalt_
:K:

Original post by Metrododo
Oh no, it's not even about the money!

Usually when you hear about young people getting with an older partner there's always money involved...at least that's what I thought.

It's the only way I could rationalise this ridiculous relationship.
I don't know anything about him apart from the fact that he has 3 children, all older than her late twenties or even 30.

He lives alone and she's spent the night at his regularly.

So the only warning sign you've developed is purely coming from the age gap and not the man himself.
Sure, these relationships are uncommon, but unlike the rest here, I believe it's extremely unfair to pass judgement if you don't even know the guy.
Original post by Joel 96
So the only warning sign you've developed is purely coming from the age gap and not the man himself.
Sure, these relationships are uncommon, but unlike the rest here, I believe it's extremely unfair to pass judgement if you don't even know the guy.

What's their to know? He's older than her own dad. There is something wrong here... I'm considering telling her parents or at least one of her siblings.
Oh dear.

LOOOL
What's their to know? He's older than her own dad. There is something wrong here... I'm considering telling her parents or at least one of her siblings.

Go ahead. Tell them. I'm positive they'll react the same way you have. Doesn't mean it's right.
If it was an older woman and a younger man, nobody would have a problem with it.

Quick Reply

Latest