The Student Room Group

AQA FP4 25th May 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Argylesocksrox
I don't think there are many super difficult FP4 questions, just pray to your gods that they don't pull an FP3.

But knowing AQA, they will pull an FP3 for all other modules.
Original post by student0042
But knowing AQA, they will pull an FP3 for all other modules.

They seem to be quite irritating in terms of consistency, or lack thereof.
They seem to be quite irritating in terms of consistency, or lack thereof.

I agree. 100 UMS ranges from 67 to 75, which doesn't seem right. It usually bobs in a range of about 3 numbers.
Reply 23
What is the significance when one of the eigenvalues equals to 1 and why
Original post by C0balt
What is the significance when one of the eigenvalues equals to 1 and why

Mv=kv where k is an eigenvector defines what eigenvectors are.

So k=1 is a special case, it means Mv=v (where v is an eigenvector)

hence for this particular vector, it's not changed by the transformation M, hence it's going to form a line of invariant points under the transformation.

I may not have been perfectly clear, feel free to ask more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Mv=kv where k is an eigenvector defines what eigenvectors are.

So k=1 is a special case, it means Mv=v (where v is an eigenvector)

hence for this particular vector, it's not changed by the transformation M, hence it's going to form a line of invariant points under the transformation.

I may not have been perfectly clear, feel free to ask more.

Oh my God that makes so much more sense
Can't remember seeing that in the free textbook, I'd been wondering about it every time I saw it on a paper! Thank you
Original post by C0balt
Oh my God that makes so much more sense
Can't remember seeing that in the free textbook, I'd been wondering about it every time I saw it on a paper! Thank you

No problem, there's no real good textbooks for FP4 material that I've found.
Reply 27
Hey, does anybody know how to answer this question... the point A is (2, 9, t) and B is (2t, 5, 3t), first find the modulus (magnitude) of vector A to B, then give the value of t that would make this modulus minimum, then state the value of this minimum. The answer says the value of t= 0.5 and the value of the minimum is 3 root 2 but I have no idea where this comes from????
What is FP4- further pure core 4? I am trying to find a thread for the AQA C2 maths on the 25th, does anybody know where i can find this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
ignore my previous post haha how is everyone feeling about wednesday??
Original post by hep12345
ignore my previous post haha how is everyone feeling about wednesday??

I'm dreading it! Fp4 is one of my worst, and I was soo prepared for fp3 and that didnt go well, worried the same is going to happen . . :frown:
How are you feeling for it ?
Reply 31
the exact same tbh, I've been petrified after that FP3 paper, really dont know if I'll even pass
Reply 32
the exact same tbh, I've been petrified after that FP3 paper, really dont know if I'll even pass

At least we now know how the cover page looks like 😅
Reply 33
I've just been advised to go through the spec and look at everything :') not a clue what kind of questions could bob up, if its like FP3 they could ask literally anything!!
Reply 34
I've just been advised to go through the spec and look at everything :':wink: not a clue what kind of questions could bob up, if its like FP3 they could ask literally anything!!

The fp4 spec is so vague
I've just been advised to go through the spec and look at everything :':wink: not a clue what kind of questions could bob up, if its like FP3 they could ask literally anything!!

I'm honestly struggling with what to look at though, I've gone through the text book and past papers. But that wasn't enough for fp3 clearly . . . :/
Reply 36
Could anyone answer this?

What is the matrix representing the transformation that is a rotation through pi radians abotu the line x=0, y+z=0
You may want to try here for extra support with FP4 http://www.mathedup.co.uk/a-level-takeaways/further-pure-takeaway/
Reply 38
Hey, does anybody know how to answer this question... the point A is (2, 9, t) and B is (2t, 5, 3t), first find the modulus (magnitude) of vector A to B, then give the value of t that would make this modulus minimum, then state the value of this minimum. The answer says the value of t= 0.5 and the value of the minimum is 3 root 2 but I have no idea where this comes from????

Find vector AB, and then work out the modulus(pythagorad). You will get a qudaratic that you want to minimize, so find dy/dt to find the minimum. Otherwise, you can complete the square and find the vertex. Sub this value of t back intp the modulus equation to get the minimum value.
For Q6 (c) of the Jan 11 paper, could anyone explain why we take landa to equal 2, I know it's something to do with the direction cosines but what is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending