The Student Room Group

Why do many women not really care about achieving much?

Do you find that women dont really work on themselves as much as men do and why do you think this is, is it cause men are valued by the opposite sex more on what job they have and success etc ?

I find that many women are happy to just settle down as a shop assistant and then just become a 'mother' for the rest of their lives. Some guys seem to prefere this type of women over one who is career driven, works on her body and sets goals.

Men tend to rate themselves on what job they have and success. Do you think this exists with women to an extent or does itmake no difference whether a woman is a shop assistant or medical professional?
It depends on your ethnic, cultural and social background is. Like my relatives, their jobs differ from a doctor all the way to a dustbin cleaner. It is shown in AS, GCSE and university results that girls tend to do better than boys but there is a gender gap in pay so it makes it harder for women to get paid around the same as men(women get paid 20% less than men). It also depends on the government's solution to gender differences like the UK was rated the 18th most equal country concerning gender but countries like Sweden, Iceland and Norway have better gender policies than us that's why men and women are equal there.

It all depends on what society thinks, really.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you find that women dont really work on themselves as much as men do and why do you think this is, is it cause men are valued by the opposite sex more on what job they have and success etc ?

I find that many women are happy to just settle down as a shop assistant and then just become a 'mother' for the rest of their lives. Some guys seem to prefere this type of women over one who is career driven, works on her body and sets goals.

Men tend to rate themselves on what job they have and success. Do you think this exists with women to an extent or does itmake no difference whether a woman is a shop assistant or medical professional?

Lol ok. Problem?

Also, you should probably know that many women are now in fact having children later in life because they want to focus on building a career, which pretty much goes against what you're trying to say.
Original post by Anonymous

"there a wage gap between average men's earnings and average women's earnings"
Reply 4
the **** are you talking about
Being a parent is the hardest job in the world. So less of the just settle down and be a mum like its a lesser thing for a person to be. There may be no pay and little thanks but its the best job ever.
I was thinking that, if anything, women in modern society make more of an effort to be successful, are more ambitious etc.
Of course, you'll always get women who will settle for the simple life, and the same goes for men.
Reply 7
I disagree
Reply 8
They do make more of an effort than they used to due to gender equality and modern society as you said but still dont appear, as a whole, to be as goal driven as men.

For example in sport i see many girls just sat watching their bf's train a few evenings a week but I dont see this the other way around, the bf might watch her a little but then he's off doing his own thing at the gym. The girls seem happy just watching. I also notice at my athletic club that girls tend to drop out in their late teens/early twenties, whereas there are men of all ages still dedicated to training and competing. Its just what ive noticed, i know im only using sport as an example and there are many types of achievement but i guess its because its where i spend most of my time.
The most hardworking, ambitious people in my life are all females.
Original post by hezzlington
The most hardworking, ambitious people in my life are all females.

Hardworking i can see this more in females expecially those working with kids but for some reason i cant see the ambition in many. Im the only female my age who seems to still be dedicated to sport. Others seem to have quit sport, settled down to just watch tv, post on facebook and go out drinking. Another example is on my healthcare course they offered us the opportunity to go to a session which gave up info on how to start our own buissness if we wanted to. I decided to go and was the only female there with 14 males! Theres more females on my course than males too. The only other female there was the lecturer to supervise, she had her own buissness but she said it was ran by her husband. It made me think dont sole females bother with business lol. I mean i might not even bother myself but it just got me thinking. I might be wrong in my original op but its simply what ive noticed.
Women do way better in exams than men, u are sexist

Posted from TSR Mobile
girls, on average do better than boys all throughout school. however in a career a man will generally go for a promotion if he has around 60% of the qualities/ characteristics required whereas a woman will wait until she has 90-100% of the qualities meaning that men generally climb up the career ladder quicker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, you know more girls attain uni places than boys right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to an all girls' school and I can't think of a single student I know who would be content as a shop assistant. Most of my friends are aiming to go into medicine, politics, law, physics etc.
Being a mother is not simple- it's probably harder than most white collar jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending