The Student Room Group

How common are mental health issues amongst teens?

I know that in my school, a lot of girls suffer from depression/anxiety/eating disorders.
Is it the same where you are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yyep
Original post by selvisin
I know that in my school, a lot of girls suffer from depression/anxiety/eating disorders.

Yeah depression is quite common these days, too much stress on young people 🤔
I wouldn't know it's a personal thing
Well, they say that something like 1 in 4 people have some sort of mental health problem; so it's not that much of a surprise, really.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Well, they say that something like 1 in 4 people have some sort of mental health problem; so it's not that much of a surprise, really.

Wow?! That's a huge amount of people.
Reply 6
I have many mental health difficulties, some more severe than others- although it is common, it's not something that should define you!
Yeh very common - controversial comment coming though:

I personally believe there are a lot of people who exaggerate, but which means those who aren't are slightly less believed. For example, the number of people on YikYak who post about being depressed and all this stuff, I doubt all of them are really really depressed... Especially when it spikes around exam time... Yeh, you can be stressed and feeling really down, but it doesn't mean you're necessarily depressed over an elongated period of time. I do believe some people exaggerate, either to get attention, or because they think people knowing they have a mental illness sets them apart from others and makes them more cool and interesting... If they are doing it to get attention, then I think that's another problem in itself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where i live, im the only person I've ever known with an eating disorder. Sucks because there's limited help! I know a few girls with anxiety though
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh very common - controversial comment coming though:

I personally believe there are a lot of people who exaggerate, but which means those who aren't are slightly less believed. For example, the number of people on YikYak who post about being depressed and all this stuff, I doubt all of them are really really depressed... Especially when it spikes around exam time... Yeh, you can be stressed and feeling really down, but it doesn't mean you're necessarily depressed over an elongated period of time. I do believe some people exaggerate, either to get attention, or because they think it's cool or whatever... If they are doing it to get attention, then I think that's another problem in itself.

How can people think mental illness is cool?!!!!

:confused:
Original post by hezzlington

Maybe that was badly worded of me - I'll edit it now, but I should really say: (does that make more sense?)

because they think people knowing they have a mental illness sets them apart from others and makes them more cool and interesting...
Original post by hezzlington

not 'cool' as such, but certainly a good way to stand out and gain sympathy from others
Reply 12
Original post by RivalPlayer
Are the majority of these girls from a particular ethnic group and social class?

Actually no - diverse ethnicities and class ranges from lower to middle.
At least 70% of my AS English Language class are either seeing counsellors and/or are on medication for mental illness. It's really bad :s-smilie:. My school is very high pressure in comparison with most, so that doesn't help, but the pastoral care is crap as well.
Original post by TelAviv
not 'cool' as such, but certainly a good way to stand out and gain sympathy from others

Yes haha, this!!! ^^ Cheers! :yy:
Even though I think they're somewhat common, I've never really run into any mentally ill teens in person. The only reason why I believe they're common is from various stuff I've read.
Reply 17
I don't believe it is exaggerating when people don't understand the terminology well enough to use the correct ones. Depression is a spectrum disorder ranging from singular, mild episode right through to clinical depression. So you don't need to be clinically depressed to be classed as depressed - you simply need to meet the criteria for depression for a period of at least a month.

Depression is also a common response to stress because the body tries to balance itself out. It's an evolutionary trick
Reply 18
Young people often have very little control over their lives and this can be an element to stress, depression and anxiety. Young people are vulnerable to peer pressure, bullying, sexual abuse and rape and many other factors - very little surprise, then, that they have PTSD, dissociation, self harm, emotional regulation problems, anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation. The stats are shocking. 1 in 4 for mental health (tho this is over course of lifetime), estimated between 1 in 4 and 1in 6 girls will experience sexual abuse/rape by age 18. Between 1 in 6 and 1 in 10 boys will also experience sexual abuse/rape. Of those stats the majority of the available data says it will happen before puberty (tho personally I think that many young people don't recognise peer to peer abuse as abusive)

It's an epidemic and yet we are only just considering compulsory therapists in schools. We sometimes have to fight to provide more than 6 sessions of therapy without having to refer elsewhere
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by selvisin

just the girls? wba the boys

s/o sadboiz

Quick Reply

Latest