The Student Room Group

Circuit

Reply 1
Okay so you will need the following:

-Cell
-ammeter (this goes in series)
-voltmeter (remember this goes in parallel with the thermistor)
-thermistor
-means of changing the temperature (e.g water bath) of the thermistor and measuring the temperature

Put them together and that's it
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC
Okay so you will need the following:

-Cell
-ammeter (this goes in series)
-voltmeter (remember this goes in parallel with the thermistor)
-thermistor
-means of changing the temperature (e.g water bath) of the thermistor and measuring the temperature

Put them together and that's it

Like ive drawn the cell ,ammeter , voltmeter , thermistor , do i just draw a component in series for the water bath?
Reply 3
Original post by Ayaz789
Like ive drawn the cell ,ammeter , voltmeter , thermistor , do i just draw a component in series for the water bath?

Nah, you want the water bath to heat the thermistor so you could draw it as a box around it, maybe include a thermometer too
Reply 4
Original post by TajwarC
Nah, you want the water bath to heat the thermistor so you could draw it as a box around it, maybe include a thermometer too

Okay and in part aii? it says The candidate gives details of how the thermistor is heated in a beaker ofwater, what does this mean, and can you give me an explanation please:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ayaz789
Okay and in part aii? it says The candidate gives details of how the thermistor is heated in a beaker ofwater, what does this mean, and can you give me an explanation please:smile:

So you change the heat of the water bath, measure the temperature using the thermometer (this will be the temperature of the thermistor) and then you measure the readings off the ammeter and voltmeter. So you will have a temperature and a corresponding voltage and current value from which you can calculate the resistance. You do that across a range of temperatures.

If the question specifies a range of temperatures, for example 0 to 100 degrees, then don't forget to include a means of lowering the temperature to below room temperature, e.g. using ice and stirring the water
Reply 6
Original post by TajwarC
So you change the heat of the water bath, measure the temperature using the thermometer (this will be the temperature of the thermistor) and then you measure the readings off the ammeter and voltmeter. So you will have a temperature and a corresponding voltage and current value from which you can calculate the resistance. You do that across a range of temperatures.

If the question specifies a range of temperatures, for example 0 to 100 degrees, then don't forget to include a means of lowering the temperature to below room temperature, e.g. using ice and stirring the water

Okay thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest