The Student Room Group

Do you have lecturers/teachers like this?

So, we have two past papers from last year, one is a resit. They are both totally different.

Then, this

So no feedback, no answers, nothing.

The style of question is essay based. However, there is a right and wrong answer. So if we start off on a false premise, the entire essay is redundant..

Now, whilst I don't expect to be spoonfed, this is pretty difficult. The lectures are mostly pictures. Not much writing.

Oh well.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
at my uni there are no model answers available- there may be guidance at revision lectures but its at our discretion to attend them or not- this goes for our longer essay answers in exams too.

Lecturers have different styles- some as you say just have images- but that means attending that lecture is crucial to gain the basic information, otherwise when it comes to revision you'll be at a loss. It'll heavily vary by lecturers style of teaching and how they see fit its best to lecture you.
My uni course does the same thing. They said something like "it encourages you to work with each other to discuss and share your knowledge" which is all bs tbh
I can't say I have met any teacher like this...:erm:

That being said you are in uni and I'm only in secondary school...seems like a lazy member of staff if anything tbh.
Original post by lilGem
at my uni there are no model answers available- there may be guidance at revision lectures but its at our discretion to attend them or not- this goes for our longer essay answers in exams too.

Lecturers have different styles- some as you say just have images- but that means attending that lecture is crucial to gain the basic information, otherwise when it comes to revision you'll be at a loss. It'll heavily vary by lecturers style of teaching and how they see fit its best to lecture you.

Yep, I've been at university for 3 years and had a range of lecturing styles. Quite interesting really. No revision sessions for this module though :frown:

I study physics so i'm not used to exam style essay questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by homeland.lsw
I can't say I have met any teacher like this...:erm:

That being said you are in uni and I'm only in secondary school...seems like a lazy member of staff if anything tbh.

She's an excellent lecturer tbh. Really good.

However, this year we've seen the largest amount of undergraduates taking this module. Almost triple last year I believe. I don't think she can cope with everybody asking for office time!
Reply 6
Original post by hezzlington
Yep, I've been at university for 3 years and had a range of lecturing styles. Quite interesting really. No revision sessions for this module though :frown:

I study physics so i'm not used to exam style essay questions

Same, I'm in my final year doing biological sciences- so we do have essays, but they can vary so much. I have revision lectures for 2 modules, the other 2 I don't ( final 40 credits after 4 modules is my research project)
Original post by Mathemagicien
What are "passed papers"?

Good spot!

Changed
She's an excellent lecturer tbh. Really good.

However, this year we've seen the largest amount of undergraduates taking this module. Almost triple last year I believe. I don't think she can cope with everybody asking for office time!

Well, can you get someone else to look at your work? In school, I could ask someone else in the department if my teacher is busy (which is a lot, because half my teachers are head of their departments) :dontknow:
So, we have two past papers from last year, one is a resit. They are both totally different.

Then, this

The style of question is essay based. However, there is a right and wrong answer. So if we start off on a false premise, the entire essay is redundant..

Now, whilst I don't expect to be spoonfed, this is pretty difficult. The lectures are mostly pictures. Not much writing.

Oh well.

Not providing model answers seems to be quite common but refusing to check essay answers as a policy? That sounds very unfair.
Original post by Plagioclase
Not providing model answers seems to be quite common but refusing to check essay answers as a policy? That sounds very unfair.

Agreed. This sounds stupid and unhelpful.

Then, this

Oh well.

Preety standard at University
Original post by ODES_PDES
Preety standard at University

Hmm is it? To receive no feedback or to be at least steered in the right direction?
Hmm is it? To receive no feedback or to be at least steered in the right direction?

In mine it is although plenty of past papers no solutions nothing
I have one module lecturer like that...so annoying :colonhash: the rest actually use texts but its not detailed. At least it helps.
Original post by ODES_PDES
In mine it is although plenty of past papers no solutions nothing

What uni are you at? what do you study
Some of our modules we do but for a sample paper (same format and stuff, just not a past paper...). For accounting & finance though, we're not allowed to, but the papers are almost identical each year anyway... They do advise us to check against seminar work, which the questions are based upon heavily, so we can see whether we're doing the right kinda thing...

For econ essays, they will say if we're on the right track or not, but they won't specifically mark it for us.

Do your lecturers have office hours? If my experience is anything to go by, these are chronically underused. So just turn up to her office at the right time, bring your essay or plan with you, and ask for verbal feedback. It would be pretty hard to refuse that.

The lectures are mostly pictures. Not much writing.

So? The lecture slides are not revision notes for you. You should be revising from the notes you made from the lecture and surrounding readings.
Original post by chazwomaq
Do your lecturers have office hours? If my experience is anything to go by, these are chronically underused. So just turn up to her office at the right time, bring your essay or plan with you, and ask for verbal feedback. It would be pretty hard to refuse that.

So? The lecture slides are not revision notes for you. You should be revising from the notes you made from the lecture and surrounding readings.

The reason my lecturer posted that was because people were doing exactly that - turning up at her office.

And my lecture notes aren't enough to construct a full essay - I'm going by recommended reading. But that's not the point.
I do engineering and i find that it varies from module to module.

Some lecturers are more than willing to give detailed solutions to past papers, whilst others may only provide the final numerical answers. However i've never come across a lecturer unwilling to check solutions or answers to a question, therefore that does appear particularly harsh i feel.

Quick Reply

Latest