The Student Room Group

If someone you fancy spat in your drink...

Scroll to see replies

Has she spat in it deliberately like a weirdo or is it just that something's somehow ended up in my drink in a strange turn of events?
Original post by MrControversial
I would usually be enraged close to the point of violence. I hate other people's saliva. It makes me sick.

However if it were someone I fancied, it wouldn't matter as much. I might even find it hot.

This is because of the behavioral immune system. Sadly to my knowledge the behvaioural immune system is not well studied. I had to observe things and come up with the theory on my own although I imagine that somewhere out there people have made the same observations, it merely hasn't reached mainstream yet because of the subject area it covers.

I have made some observations that may link some cases of pedophilia to anomalies in the behavioral immune system particularly where it is dialed up or less able to dial down in the presence of a potential mate. I suspect there have been constant battles between the behavioural immune system, survival and diseases which has likely left its mark through evolution. I also strongly suspect that the behavioural immune system is adaptive to various circumstances over time such as mate availability and has both a heavy nature and nurture component.

The fact that you have asked this question suggests that you have cottoned on to the curiosity of the behavioural immune system and the circumstances that cause it to radically fluctuate.

Your post was well constructed, but I had got nothing from it, and I am not the only person
Original post by Blue_Mason
Sir, you're in need of help.

Reproduction requires an exchange of materials from one to another so it is perfectly healthy for the behavioral immune system that would be active around people in general to deactivate in the presence of an attractive potential mate. One of the things that makes a potential mate attractive is the impression of being in good health. Good enough to breast feed your offspring and so on.

If you do not find it easy to be intimate with a partner because of excessive disgust then some might consider that a problem although there is little research in this area. I see it potentially as similar to impotence or a lack of interest in courting the opposite sex.

It can go both ways though with people with an excessive lack of disgust either in the presence of a viable mate or in the presence of anything. In my observations in some people the behavioural immune system fades over time. For example, I've seen that an older person is more likely to eat something after being dropped on the floor yet they would never do that when young. It is also interesting how trained behaviors are so strongly integrated into instinct. It also changes when there is a lack of food as one survival instinct trumps another. My observations are anecdotal however so I wouldn't go on those alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Your post was well constructed, but I had got nothing from it, and I am not the only person

It's an area of observational interest that I have not seen well defined or investigated and that covers various topics that don't make for polite conversation.

I'm wary about saying anything about it that's here or there, other than that it is a fascinating concept bringing together a number of interesting fields such as psychology, evolution, biology, etc.

So I'm just pointing out that it is actually a thing, so to speak.

Personally I suspect that the same defensive aspects of neurology may expand out into other behaviours beyond just disgust at spit to protection from germs. Perhaps this system is one of the ones tapped into when people are indoctrinated against various things and other kinds of perceived threats, including ideological. It's also something that you can posit is ancient because it's relevant to all species with a brain and even those without.

Turns out someone else has made almost exactly the same observations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_immune_system

That's pretty cool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Has she spat in it deliberately like a weirdo or is it just that something's somehow ended up in my drink in a strange turn of events?

The latter. Say, she thought it was hers, took a sip, realised it wasn't hers because she didn't like the taste of it (maybe she thought it was her lemonade when it was actually a sparkling water) and spat it back into the cup. Then you come along and drink from it before she cansay anything.
NO WAY! I'd probably spill the drink all over them and tell them to enjoy it:colonhash:
The grand coupe just look so cool, and they're quite rare, but I do get the appeal of owning something more practical that can blend in.
I noticed m4s are quite common nowadays
I am not really sure about mustangs, I mean sure they have road presence and aggression, but I am more of a viper fan, I would own a viper srt cobra.
I love and hate g wagons, I mean they look kinda cool but it is a bonkers car.

Hahahaha, we have the same view on g wagons!

A viper...? Nah. I love the aggression of Mustangs. I bet it could make a kid wet themselves because they look so badass.

M4's are lovely. Yeah pretty common. So lovely as well. I have been in a 2015 M3 and it was bloody briliiant. Nearly spunked myself with joy ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

I like the srt viper because of it's monstrous bonnet. Bloody huge!
Original post by WoodyMKC
DW, you can spit in my drink fam :redface:

Tfw Woody white knights :moon:
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Tfw Woody white knights :moon:

White knighting is an art-form that many get wrong or use at the wrong time. Not Woody :biggrin:
White knighting is an art-form that many get wrong or use at the wrong time. Not Woody :biggrin:

If you could be any coloured knight, what colour would you be?

I'd have an ombre effect: pink to orange like a sunset 🌞
If you could be any coloured knight, what colour would you be?

I'd have an ombre effect: pink to orange like a sunset 🌞

Chrome effect, with neon blue studding :biggrin:
Original post by MrControversial
I would usually be enraged close to the point of violence. I hate other people's saliva. It makes me sick.

However if it were someone I fancied, it wouldn't matter as much. I might even find it hot.

This is because of the behavioral immune system. Sadly to my knowledge the behvaioural immune system is not well studied. I had to observe things and come up with the theory on my own although I imagine that somewhere out there people have made the same observations, it merely hasn't reached mainstream yet because of the subject area it covers.

I have made some observations that may link some cases of pedophilia to anomalies in the behavioral immune system particularly where it is dialed up or less able to dial down in the presence of a potential mate. I suspect there have been constant battles between the behavioural immune system, survival and diseases which has likely left its mark through evolution. I also strongly suspect that the behavioural immune system is adaptive to various circumstances over time such as mate availability and has both a heavy nature and nurture component.

The fact that you have asked this question suggests that you have cottoned on to the curiosity of the behavioural immune system and the circumstances that cause it to radically fluctuate.

This comment turns me on.
Chrome effect, with neon blue studding :biggrin:

Ngl, am disappointed.

Sounds like a power ranger.
Ngl, am disappointed.

Sounds like a power ranger.

Sort of the point. If I'm gonna dress up, I'm going whole hog and going into full on child mode :u: Neurgh neurgh nuh neurgh neurgh, you're the looooooser!
Wtf :lolwut:
The latter. Say, she thought it was hers, took a sip, realised it wasn't hers because she didn't like the taste of it (maybe she thought it was her lemonade when it was actually a sparkling water) and spat it back into the cup. Then you come along and drink from it before she cansay anything.

Yeah that'd be chill I'd probably drink it. If she'd done it deliberately I'd have to throw her out of a window tho
Original post by KoreanSpammer
This comment turns me on.

Same. Each time I read behavioural immune system I got tingles :sexface:
Original post by .Jeff458
Hahahaha, we have the same view on g wagons!

A viper...? Nah. I love the aggression of Mustangs. I bet it could make a kid wet themselves because they look so badass.

M4's are lovely. Yeah pretty common. So lovely as well. I have been in a 2015 M3 and it was bloody briliiant. Nearly spunked myself with joy ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

I like the srt viper because of it's monstrous bonnet. Bloody huge!

I would pick a range rover svr over a g wagon 63
I think m4s are going to devalue quick, yeah I prefer the M3 in a bmw individual color.

But the gold colour looks a bit tacky on the coupe, expect for e46 m3 with the stock rims.

Speaking of a monstrous bonnet I like the rolls Royce phantom coupe aka the yacht, it is such a big car with a big v12 engine that is like an engineers wet dream, and that optional polished bonnet, I just like big luxury cars.

In terms of the 918,p1 and the la ferrari I prefer the la Ferrari, and the p1 second.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tell me why no one in this thread has asked the question:

What the hell is my crush doing spitting in my drink!

Quick Reply

Latest