The Student Room Group

Anyone elses family distract them from revising ?

I can only study really well when they aren't in the house. They constantly ask me questions and quiz me on when I will be done.

Any similar experiences ? :/
Reply 1
Yes.

But in a good way. :h:
Original post by im.a.witch
I can only study really well when they aren't in the house. They constantly ask me questions and quiz me on when I will be done.

mine do. its annoying. my dad comes up to me and is like: `better qualifications=better grades`. :frown:
True. true. but hey thanks dad for putting me off revision for another 1/2 hour.

I just find it irritating when they think I'm not doing stuff even though I am - my works on my laptop since I type up my notes they think I don't do anything :frown: sighs.

but they seem to be doing it less since I started a levels thankfully. I love the encouragement every now and again but really I'm not going to revise at 9 o clock in the morning on a weekend as they know I don't tend to start revision until 10 ish @ weekends.

What type of questions do they ask you? :smile: mine only really ask what subject I'm gonna do, & how long for, probably so they don't distract me when I'm doing it which is nice of them. also if they want to ask if I want a cocoa or something they text me so they're not shouting up the stairs distracting me even more :smile:
I can relate to this post so much! My family consistantly hinder me and fire questions my way, and when they are not quizing me they are making suuch big noises like hoovering! they are from a working class background and have never revised once in their lives so i understand how imbiciles like themselves do not know what REVISION means but i actually want to get somewhere and move out of this pathetic little house and never come back do they not understand that >:-( ?????????????????????????????
Reply 4
Original post by MorganDaBrainBox
I can relate to this post so much! My family consistantly hinder me and fire questions my way, and when they are not quizing me they are making suuch big noises like hoovering! they are from a working class background and have never revised once in their lives so i understand how imbiciles like themselves do not know what REVISION means but i actually want to get somewhere and move out of this pathetic little house and never come back do they not understand that >:-( ?????????????????????????????

exact same in my house :frown:
Reply 5
The closest Library to me is 30 miles away not exactly ideal to take all my stuff along to. :/
Reply 6
Original post by bizzy_penguin
mine do. its annoying. my dad comes up to me and is like: `better qualifications=better grades`. :frown:
True. true. but hey thanks dad for putting me off revision for another 1/2 hour.

I just find it irritating when they think I'm not doing stuff even though I am - my works on my laptop since I type up my notes they think I don't do anything :frown: sighs.

but they seem to be doing it less since I started a levels thankfully. I love the encouragement every now and again but really I'm not going to revise at 9 o clock in the morning on a weekend as they know I don't tend to start revision until 10 ish @ weekends.

What type of questions do they ask you? :smile: mine only really ask what subject I'm gonna do, & how long for, probably so they don't distract me when I'm doing it which is nice of them. also if they want to ask if I want a cocoa or something they text me so they're not shouting up the stairs distracting me even more :smile:

They come and hover over me asking what subject im doing, I go to explain what im doing and they stop listening and ask how long I will be because we need to go out or I need to do something for them :/
They complain I revise too much when I say like I am sorry I cant do this for you because im right in the middle of a study session.

Then they complain if I get less then my target grade. I cant bloomin win
Mine distract me while trying to make me revise...

"ARE YOU REVISING? ARE YOU CONCENTRATING?"

I was, until you interrupted!
Reply 8
Original post by emmald583
Mine distract me while trying to make me revise...

"ARE YOU REVISING? ARE YOU CONCENTRATING?"

I was, until you interrupted!

Yeah mine are like that too like "I HOPE YOU ARE REVISING UP THERE"

Then I have to come down explain what im doing go back upstairs and I loose like 20 mins of revision :frown:
I feel the same!
But my family think i revise too much, which i dont haha.
They are always so noisy too and i like being in the kitchen for revising
In september ill be at uni away from them anyway haha
They come and hover over me asking what subject im doing, I go to explain what im doing and they stop listening and ask how long I will be because we need to go out or I need to do something for them :/
They complain I revise too much when I say like I am sorry I cant do this for you because im right in the middle of a study session.

Then they complain if I get less then my target grade. I cant bloomin win

maybe they're just taking an interest? :smile: not a bad thing, but perhaps ask politely they can see what you've done AFTER [set time]. my parents take a huge interest in sociology a level since many of the content and case studies in the course were occurring while they were growing up :smile:

ah - i just saw going out when your studying part - if this is the case, perhaps telling them your plans the day before so they know what your up to? also is it necessary for you to go? like if its shopping it isn't necessary since I would presume your 16/17/18+ & are allowed to be in the house alone - I mean I hope your parents know you won't open your door to strangers? If your going to visit your grandparents where there may not be wifi (mine don't have it which is a pain) so I normally take my textbook and flashcards, same with a family meal out.

Do you have a sort of plan for a revision timetable? if not use TSR one to show your parents what times you will be unavailable due to studying :smile: maybe if you have a physical timetable they will be able to see when and when you aren't studying? if timetables aren't your thing like me, write up a list of times you will most likely be studying and give it to them - or stick it on the fridge so they can see it :smile:

regarding mandatory household chores there isn't much you can do apart from do them & get them done. also maybe tell your parents politely that they're distracting you & explain look mum/dad: I want to do well & to do this you need some time when it is quiet and less distractions, if this doesn't work go study in a library, @ a friends house [might not be a good idea this one], park, college, or in the garden, see if there's any study sessions on @ college, or stay longer after.

My dad is the worst for distracting me when I am revising. He is constantly asking me to do things or trying to have a conversation or showing me things on the TV, it' so irritating.
maybe they're just taking an interest? :smile: not a bad thing, but perhaps ask politely they can see what you've done AFTER [set time]. my parents take a huge interest in sociology a level since many of the content and case studies in the course were occurring while they were growing up :smile:

ah - i just saw going out when your studying part - if this is the case, perhaps telling them your plans the day before so they know what your up to? also is it necessary for you to go? like if its shopping it isn't necessary since I would presume your 16/17/18+ & are allowed to be in the house alone - I mean I hope your parents know you won't open your door to strangers? If your going to visit your grandparents where there may not be wifi (mine don't have it which is a pain) so I normally take my textbook and flashcards, same with a family meal out.

Do you have a sort of plan for a revision timetable? if not use TSR one to show your parents what times you will be unavailable due to studying :smile: maybe if you have a physical timetable they will be able to see when and when you aren't studying? if timetables aren't your thing like me, write up a list of times you will most likely be studying and give it to them - or stick it on the fridge so they can see it :smile:

regarding mandatory household chores there isn't much you can do apart from do them & get them done. also maybe tell your parents politely that they're distracting you & explain look mum/dad: I want to do well & to do this you need some time when it is quiet and less distractions, if this doesn't work go study in a library, @ a friends house [might not be a good idea this one], park, college, or in the garden, see if there's any study sessions on @ college, or stay longer after.

Yeah. Its just my family are weird when I say look im trying to revise would you mind kinda leaving me to study quietly they take the mick out of me later saying how sensitive I am to noise, and that at Uni no one will be quiet for you.

I live in a house in the middle of nowhere so its really tricky going to other places to study.
Original post by DanaaFreya_
My dad is the worst for distracting me when I am revising. He is constantly asking me to do things or trying to have a conversation or showing me things on the TV, it' so irritating.

same :frown:
Yeah. Its just my family are weird when I say look im trying to revise would you mind kinda leaving me to study quietly they take the mick out of me later saying how sensitive I am to noise, and that at Uni no one will be quiet for you.

I live in a house in the middle of nowhere so its really tricky going to other places to study.

hmmmm, have you tried playing music/or those noise cancelling earbud things? :smile:
but hey you live in the middle of nowhere! :smile: is it a place where there are lots of country fields? if yes have a look around and see if there are any places you could go and take a picnic blanket / blanket, and go and study? take a rucksack which includes your study resources / materials, take some snacks/lunch/water and go and study in a field which is quiet and hopefully safe? you would of course have to take a phone, and watch the weather forecast and be in at a sensible time, but it would be quiet :smile: and would allow you to study in peace
hmmmm, have you tried playing music/or those noise cancelling earbud things? :smile:
but hey you live in the middle of nowhere! :smile: is it a place where there are lots of country fields? if yes have a look around and see if there are any places you could go and take a picnic blanket / blanket, and go and study? take a rucksack which includes your study resources / materials, take some snacks/lunch/water and go and study in a field which is quiet and hopefully safe? you would of course have to take a phone, and watch the weather forecast and be in at a sensible time, but it would be quiet :smile: and would allow you to study in peace

That's true. Its just having to lug everything everywhere :frown: I literally beg my family to go to the cinema or go out with their friends just to get a good few hours of revision :/
Reply 16

In my house it's always so loud, very annoying... I know people have to talk and stuff but they don't talk it's more or less shouting. I live with my grandparents and my grandma seems to act in a deliberately malicious way when I'm revising... Like banging doors, singing , just trying to distract me!

I do A levels too, luckily her pathetic ways don't bother me...
That's true. Its just having to lug everything everywhere :frown: I literally beg my family to go to the cinema or go out with their friends just to get a good few hours of revision :/

:biggrin: haha, how much revision do you do? :smile:i could never do mine in large chunks... wish I could though... but hey once your at your study spot you would only need to go there twice - there & back, take a fold up chair too if u have one - but that would be a lot to carry, on the plus side its quiet and free from distractions. maybe your parents feel bad because they're going out without you and they feel a bit bad leaving you out despite you wanting to study? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest