The Student Room Group

Quadratic equations (unsure why question does not use both answers)

Howdy :smile:.

I have attached the question and answers.

I don't fully understand part C. I found there to be two solutions of (-0.5,2) and (1,5).

The answer only takes into consideration the (1,5) for the x and y values. Is this something to do with the other answer having a negative x value? If so, can someone explain why that wouldn't be used please?

Thanks

Edit: I meant Quadratic simultaneous equations for the title.
Reply 1
Original post by Madeezo
Howdy :smile:.

I have attached the question and answers.

I don't fully understand part C. I found there to be two solutions of (-0.5,2) and (1,5).

The answer only takes into consideration the (1,5) for the x and y values. Is this something to do with the other answer having a negative x value? If so, can someone explain why that wouldn't be used please?

Thanks

Edit: I meant Quadratic simultaneous equations for the title.

Does it make sense for you to have a negative width or length?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Does it make sense for you to have a negative width or length?

No, that is what I was thinking but it just confuses me that there are two solutions but we use one.

Where would the negative solution be then? I am used to answering just normal questions with no real world context. So I would be able to see both points of intersection on a graph as it include negative axes.

In the real world there isn't a 'negative section' so do we just ignore this? As where would it be?

Finding it hard to explain, does that make any sense?
Reply 3
Original post by Madeezo

In the real world there isn't a 'negative section' so do we just ignore this? As where would it be?

Finding it hard to explain, does that make any sense?

Yep, when you do real-world problems you need to ignore solutions that don't fit reality.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Yep, when you do real-world problems you need to ignore solutions that don't fit reality.

Ah okay.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest