The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
Whilst this thread could be by a troll of some sort, it could also be a genuine thread. It is impossible to know for certain.

But it is undeniable that there are many Muslims and ex-Muslims who do not wish to participate in ramadan but feel pressured to do so. It should really be one's own free choice, but the real issue is that so many feel unable to freely make such a choice. Would you not agree that the societal and familial pressure to fast often takes away the free choice to participate in Ramadan? Whether this thread is serious or not, I don't know, but the issue that this thread touches upon is a serious issue.

So far, a lot of this thread is about Islam and religion in general.
Original post by Anonymous
im sorry but this is just awful advice. Many Muslim families would disown or kick out their children for admitting things like this so it doesn't take a genius to realise that pretending is by far the most sensible option until they have a job and their own money so they can fend for themselves. what's ridiculous is this misplaced sense of honour that should be placed above personal safety, as in that's it better to admit their not muslim or not fasting even if it means they'll be kicked out or disowned. This is a very dangerous and harmful way to think.

You aren't speaking for the majority, you're speaking for a minority when you say that parents will kick you out if you tell them you're not muslim. Of course, any parent wouldn't be pleased as their upbringing will be questioned. Anyway, if you genuinely believe your parents will kick you out, well, that to me shows your relationship with them is distant. I know for a fact that many religious parents won't kick their child out because they don't want to be muslim. As part of Islam it's important to take care of your children and provide for them. If they are following the Quran then they know that no matter what you should provide for your offspring. Islam doesn't condemn kicking your child out of the house because you're not muslim...
I bet you're also the person who gets most excited about Eid even though you didn't fast

No i hate Eid just as equally as Ramadan if not more .. I don't put on henna etc. and if it was my choice i wouldn't celebrate Eid i'd sit in my pyjamas and messy hair all day but my mum says we HAVE to celebrate by wearing new clothes and getting dressed up so yeah,...
Original post by mariah2011
If you're not a practicing muslim and your family is muslim then first of all you should tell your family how you feel about fasting. if you don't want to fast, then don't but don't pretend. Pretending to fast is not only disrespecting your family, but is also disrespecting Islam. I can't get around my head how you can pretend. The whole point of fasting to is to endure. Endure how it is for poor people not to have food, its to encourage us to give to charities help one another. You're breaking the trust of your family, who may feel proud of you because you're fasting. How can you sit on the dinner table with them opening your "fast", when they have actually been fasting and you've been pretending don't you feel guilty?

yeah i do feel guilty but that's life... i've made my choice of not wanting to fast and it's currently being done secretly maybe one day when i move out i might tell them IDK....
yeah i do feel guilty but that's life... i've made my choice of not wanting to fast and it's currently being done secretly maybe one day when i move out i might tell them IDK....

Don't feel guilty! It's you life, your choice. Forget all these self righteous people, I don't know how belittling your decision is suddenly gonna make you some holy person. Just focus on yourself, and if you happen to get caught on one of the days just say you had an exam and you didn't want to do badly in it.

If your one of those people who don't practice and feel guilty about it, you should question what you believe in, instead of staying in the middle and always feeling bad about it. (I personally don't believe in god)

Good luck
Original post by mariah2011
You aren't speaking for the majority, you're speaking for a minority when you say that parents will kick you out if you tell them you're not muslim. Of course, any parent wouldn't be pleased as their upbringing will be questioned. Anyway, if you genuinely believe your parents will kick you out, well, that to me shows your relationship with them is distant. I know for a fact that many religious parents won't kick their child out because they don't want to be muslim. As part of Islam it's important to take care of your children and provide for them. If they are following the Quran then they know that no matter what you should provide for your offspring. Islam doesn't condemn kicking your child out of the house because you're not muslim...

it doesn't have to be as extreme as kicking you out, but can be unwanted abuse or dislike from parents and relatives and people have a right to not want to go through that. I wouldn't say that that means the relationship is distant. I'm an ex-muslim and the relationship with my parents is wonderful, I'm extremely close to them but I know for a fact that if I told them I'd left islam they'd be so disappointed and would probably never look at me in the same way again. In short, the relationship I have with them would crumble over a stupid superstition so I will carry on pretending im muslim to them all my life. of course when I live in my own house I will have nothing to do with islam the pretence will only then be relevant when im visiting them.
it doesn't have to be as extreme as kicking you out, but can be unwanted abuse or dislike from parents and relatives and people have a right to not want to go through that. I wouldn't say that that means the relationship is distant. I'm an ex-muslim and the relationship with my parents is wonderful, I'm extremely close to them but I know for a fact that if I told them I'd left islam they'd be so disappointed and would probably never look at me in the same way again. In short, the relationship I have with them would crumble over a stupid superstition so I will carry on pretending im muslim to them all my life. of course when I live in my own house I will have nothing to do with islam the pretence will only then be relevant when im visiting them.

Ditto! Haha
Covert to Hinduism during our fasts we're allowed to eat fruit and drink milk :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Covert to Hinduism during our fasts we're allowed to eat fruit and drink milk :colone:

Spoiler

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't muslims allowed to have a meal at night during Ramadan anyway?
They can only eat when it's dark. They don't actually literally fast for an entire month otherwise they'd all die..
They can only eat when it's dark. They don't actually literally fast for an entire month otherwise they'd all die..

I thought as much, so you have a pre-dawn meal and an after dusk meal?
I think they eat at dawn. I know that it's easiest to fast in Australia because of the sun setting faster or something. Can't remember the reason why.
Yh but it's more of a stuff-your-face-with-as-many-samosas-as-you-can binge than a normal meal as if that's going to stave off hunger for all of daylight hours.
I was born into a muslim family, wouldn't consider myself a practicing Muslim at all. Last Ramadan i didn't fast i secretly ate when no one was around and i'm planning to do the same this year too as Ramadan approaches in a few weeks time. What are your thoughts on this? Do any fellow 'muslims' do this too? I know it's bad but i really don't see the point in fasting if i don't even practice the religion...? If you're a non muslims what are your thoughts on my decision? Just curious :smile:

harami haram zada
I think they eat at dawn. I know that it's easiest to fast in Australia because of the sun setting faster or something. Can't remember the reason why.

Yes something like that, swerve fasting in the Nordic countries with all that midnight sun malarky

Yh but it's more of a stuff-your-face-with-as-many-samosas-as-you-can binge than a normal meal as if that's going to stave off hunger for all of daylight hours.

Ah fair enough, makes sense. Are you not even allowed water during daylight hours?
Nope water isn't allowed at all. Apart from brushing. You're allowed to eat during the day if you're pregnant, going through periods, a child or sick.
Nope water isn't allowed at all. Apart from brushing. You're allowed to eat during the day if you're pregnant, going through periods, a child or sick.

Seriously? No water? I admire all muslims fasting in hot countries now haha there's no way I could do that
It's worse in Sweden and other Nordic countries as the sunset isn't until very late, they can fast for nearly 23 hours.
Nope, officially no water is allowed and you're not even allowed to brush your teeth so most muslims' breath stinks to high heaven, it's the smelliest month of the year by far.
That what makes Muslim fasts so gruelling. Especially in the summer when it's so hot. A lot of Muslims have called Hindu fasts "not real fasts" because we're allowed to drink water and milk and eat fruit.

But yeah I don't blame OP if she doesn't want to. Must be so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending