The Student Room Group

Did your parents pay for your first car or did you pay yourself?

Hi guys,

I dont have a licence yet (annoying and stressful, been too long). I have my second driving test in a few weeks time.

Is it normal if my parent helps pay for my car, or is it babyish?
Please let me know your opinions and your views.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's nice if they do, if they can afford to do so, but not a "right" that loads of people have.

I bought my first motorbike by saving up and am pretty sure that I paid everything like tax/ insurance. By the time I bought a car, I had a job and used savings again, although I was given a lump sum as help - about 10-15% of the cost of the car
Reply 2
Bump
I drive a company car, I wouldn't expect my parents to buy me a car themselves. That would be incredibly arrogant and selfish. Spoilt brat mentality much?
Original post by KingAesthetics
Not really... If someones parents can afford it then why not? How is it arrogant or selfish...

If you're old enough and responsible enough to drive a car, you're old enough and responsible enough to start contributing to your family and start buying your own stuff.

When I left school and started working to earn money, I lived by the same rules that my father did - a third for keep, a third to save, a third to spend. If they can't afford it, they can't have it. That's life, and they shouldn't be babied around it.
I am lucky I got my mums old car.

However my sisters got around 300 towards there first car.
Reply 6
My parents bought my first motorbike as my 17th and 18th birthday present and the two christmases in between, plus I needed transport to college as the train was costing a fortune and I only worked part time. I bought my own first car later, and always paid my own insurance.
I paid for my Car, Insurance, Tax and driving lessons although my parents offered to pay for my insurance, tax and driving lessons but I have a job and wanted to prove that I'm becoming an adult. But at the end of the day, they're you're parents, they're always gunna want to help out and if you're lucky enough that they can afford to help out, I don't see what the big deal is. IN my opinion though, if you buy things yourself, you respect things more and! Your parents cant say what you can do and cant do to the car :wink: Very handy when you have a classic mini.
Original post by XMaramena
I drive a company car, I wouldn't expect my parents to buy me a car themselves. That would be incredibly arrogant and selfish. Spoilt brat mentality much?

Jealous much? If your parents offer to help you pay, what is the problem?
they paid for it and my insurance i try and pay for petrol now and then myself but i'm broke as hell
I paid for driving lessons, car, tax etc myself. My mum and dad gave me a bit to put towards my first insurance but thats it, and i paid the rest of it.
Driving lessons :- I used my own allowance money that I saved up towards it.
First car :- Paid for it entirely on my own as they didn't even know I had bought a car :biggrin:

My kids:-

Eldest, I paid for her driving lessons, bought her a first car and also the insurance. When the 1st car was consumed by a tree I gave her another car which was my former car. Wasn't really a car she wanted but as they say beggars can't be choosers. She does pay for her own fuel though and she does have to do at least 20 hours of volunteering work on my behalf each week during term time and 40 hours during her holidays.

2nd: I will pay for her to have driving lessons and will also get her a decent first car. Won't necessarily be the car she would want to have though.
I'm lucky that I got my stepdad's old car and when that broke down, him and my papa paid £200 towards a new one and I put the rest to it which I think was around £500 for a basic second hand car.

I paid for my driving lessons mostly but every few weeks or so my gran would give me the money for it to help me out.
If you're old enough and responsible enough to drive a car, you're old enough and responsible enough to start contributing to your family and start buying your own stuff.

When I left school and started working to earn money, I lived by the same rules that my father did - a third for keep, a third to save, a third to spend. If they can't afford it, they can't have it. That's life, and they shouldn't be babied around it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with family buying your first car or helping you buy it, especially not given how important a car can be for independence and for going away to university or finding work (how can you afford a car in the first place if you don't have a job?), and how little money you tend to have at that age.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
There is absolutely nothing wrong with family buying your first car or helping you buy it, especially not given how important a car can be for independence and for going away to university or finding work (how can you afford a car in the first place if you don't have a job?), and how little money you tend to have at that age.

How could it possibly be for your independence if it's handed to you by mummy and daddy?
How could it possibly be for your independence if it's handed to you by mummy and daddy?

Because it allows me to get around on my own to do whatever I want whenever I want, allowing me to live as independent a life as I possibly can? Family buying it or helping you buy it is irrelevant, and you're kind of missing the point.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Because it allows me to get around on my own to do whatever I want whenever I want, allowing me to live as independent a life as I possibly can? Family buying it or helping you buy it is irrelevant, and you're kind of missing the point.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The only way I could see having parents put money towards a car for you is if they agree to match what you pay for it. That way, you still have to earn the money yourself and learn to contribute to the family, but it's a little easier when you haven't got much to start with. That's the only way I could see it working.
I've paid for everything I own since I got my first wages despite living at home. How the hell do people expect to survive in the real world if they can't even provide for themselves as an adult?
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The only way I could see having parents put money towards a car for you is if they agree to match what you pay for it. That way, you still have to earn the money yourself and learn to contribute to the family, but it's a little easier when you haven't got much to start with. That's the only way I could see it working.

What if you're in full time education and your parents buy you your first car because it's easier for them if you can make your own way around. Plus they can afford it
i think my brothers is a company car but idk nevertheless i think he paid himself with some help, but with the car I want, there is no way my dad will agree to buy me the car I want :frown: so i think he may buy me a good cheap car from the garage he works at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending