The Student Room Group

chem AS help???

Not sure how to work this out even though it's only worth one mark.
Bromine has two isotopes BR-79 and Br-81 the relative atomic mass of br is 79.9 calculate the percentage of br-79 atoms in a sample of bromine.
Original post by medicaesthetic
Bromine has two isotopes BR-79 and Br-81 the relative atomic mass of br is 79.9 calculate the percentage of br-79 atoms in a sample of bromine.

This has nothing to with this, but I really want to do Chemistry next year
Original post by zXcodeXz
This has nothing to with this, but I really want to do Chemistry next year

Start revising now then :smile:
Start revising now then :smile:

Yeah, what did you get in GCSE chemistry if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah, what did you get in GCSE chemistry if you don't mind me asking?

A* dropped 2 marks in one paper and 3 marks in the other lol, it's nothing compared to a level.

So you know that the average mass is 79.9, and that the two abundances add up to 100%.

From there, let x = the % abundance of BR-79. (taking 1 to be 100%)

You know then that the % abundance of BR-81 is 1-x.

From that you can get this equation:

79x+(1-x)81 = 79.9

Rearrange and you''ll end up with a decimal e.g 0.76 or something, which would mean 76%.

I recommend trying a couple questions like this to get the hang of it.
Original post by Strom
So you know that the average mass is 79.9, and that the two abundances add up to 100%.

From there, let x = the % abundance of BR-79. (taking 1 to be 100%)

You know then that the % abundance of BR-81 is 1-x.

From that you can get this equation:

79x+(1-x)81 = 79.9

Rearrange and you''ll end up with a decimal e.g 0.76 or something, which would mean 76%.

I recommend trying a couple questions like this to get the hang of it.

Thank-you for your help but the answers 55.5% just not sure how to get i.
Thank-you for your help but the answers 55.5% just not sure how to get i.

81x + 79(100 - x) / 100 = 79.90

Expand the bracket and multiply both sides by 100

81x + 7900 - 79x = 7990

81x - 79x = 7990 - 7900

2x = 90

x = 45

100 - 45 = 55%
A* dropped 2 marks in one paper and 3 marks in the other lol, it's nothing compared to a level.

Nice and that's true, but to be honest in all fairness they are making GCSE's really hard now I'll be lucky to even get a B or an A
Nice and that's true, but to be honest in all fairness they are making GCSE's really hard now I'll be lucky to even get a B or an A

It's the work you put in at a level, you can be a genuis and get a D. Or you can scrape a B at gcse work so hard at as level and do every past paper and get an A. So don't be put off at ALL.

A level chem is probably the subject with the biggest step up from gcse to a level
It's the work you put in at a level, you can be a genuis and get a D. Or you can scrape a B at gcse work so hard at as level and do every past paper and get an A. So don't be put off at ALL.

Ok thanks, what other a levels do you do?
Original post by samb1234
A level chem is probably the subject with the biggest step up from gcse to a level

Ah ok, I've seen some work of chemistry and it is
Ok thanks, what other a levels do you do?

french and biology, dropped eng lit as it was pointless and too late to switch to physics :frown:
french and biology, dropped eng lit as it was pointless and too late to switch to physics :frown:

Oh ok nice, I'm planning on doing biology chemistry physics and maths

Quick Reply

Latest