The Student Room Group

authority slim

how does this quote show slim has authority:‘But you jus’ tell an’ try to get this guy canned and we’ll tell ever’body and then you’ll get the laugh'

someone help please
can you point out any language features and the effect pleaseeeee

Scroll to see replies

give us context bruv why you being bare vague for kmt
Reply 2
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
give us context bruv why you being bare vague for kmt

sorry fam...
well curley is the bosses son innit but he's being threatened by Slim who is respected at the ranch by everyone (in the hood) to keep his mouth shut about being beaten by a weak person called Lennie
what language features in that quote show he has the authority over the bosses son
Original post by esmeralda123
sorry fam...
well curley is the bosses son innit but he's being threatened by Slim who is respected at the ranch by everyone (in the hood) to keep his mouth shut about being beaten by a weak person called Lennie
what language features in that quote show he has the authority over the bosses son

rahh that seems kinda tough uno

you can say that Slims using bare informal language, using contractions. this shows that slim dont feel the need to talk formally and doesnt see Curley in a different light to the other ranch workers.

Slim uses pronouns like 'you'll' and 'we'll' and makes threats like Curley will get 'laughed'. Shows that Slim has authority and he belittles curley and that. the pronouns show dat he's making a direct threat at curley and doesnt feel uncomfortable or worried that the dickhead Curley would do something back. he knows that Curley is worried about his rep.

This was hard and mans kinda dead at english but i hope it helps yh safe
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
rahh that seems kinda tough uno

you can say that Slims using bare informal language, using contractions. this shows that slim dont feel the need to talk formally and doesnt see Curley in a different light to the other ranch workers.

Slim uses pronouns like 'you'll' and 'we'll' and makes threats like Curley will get 'laughed'. Shows that Slim has authority and he belittles curley and that. the pronouns show dat he's making a direct threat at curley and doesnt feel uncomfortable. he knows that Curley is worried about his rep.

This was hard and mans kinda dead at english but i hope it helps yh safe

you call yourself a roadman, this is a buff ting analysis uno.
what a don
Reply 5
Curley is the boss' son, he can reduce even Lennie to tears, yet Slim has power over him. Link to the theme of power
you call yourself a roadman, this is a buff ting analysis uno.
what a don

safe mans been working on his english cos man wants to become a lawyer. Wanna get justice for my bredrin cos the police are bare racist kmt like whats wrong with bunning weed in the park?
Reply 7
safe mans been working on his english cos man wants to become a lawyer. Wanna get justice for my bredrin cos the police are bare racist kmt like whats wrong with bunning weed in the park?

i wish you luck for the future.
legalise weed when you're a lawyer, that shits good
Original post by Jakir
Curley is the boss' son, he can reduce even Lennie to tears, yet Slim has power over him. Link to the theme of power

shut up you back up dancer this analysis is dead asf
i wish you luck for the future.
legalise weed when you're a lawyer, that shits good

bless up, good luck to you as well bruv
Trust, weed saves lives and cures cancer but the conservative dickheads still keep it illegal kmt
shut up you back up dancer this analysis is dead asf

Bruv leave my man bruv allow the beef bruv,dead it bruv ygm bruv.Dont mess with my g,100,dont mess fam if u value urself!!Hunna.Trap trap in da bando!

#Satire.#DisregardColloquialisms
dont get rude bruv go suck your mum rudeboy

Yo fam,dont akt hard,ur gunna get reked.Dont go on my marge u moist youth,go troll somewhere else you idiot.
dont get rude bruv go suck your mum rudeboy

Mans reported u do the mods ,ygm g.U wanna be a lawyer,u gotta comply wiv the rules.Safe fam,enjoy TSR jail
Original post by Blancosdos
Mans reported u do the mods ,ygm g.U wanna be a lawyer,u gotta comply wiv the rules.Safe fam,enjoy TSR jail

rahh too many snakes bruv kmt its people like you that has made me pro choice ffs
how does this quote show slim has authority:‘But you jus’ tell an’ try to get this guy canned and we’ll tell ever’body and then you’ll get the laugh'

someone help please

He dares to stand up against the boss' son - a man who could get anybody fired if he wanted to. This shows he's self-assured and doesn't really fear for his position. Links to the social hierarchy.

He is intelligent; he knows Curley's weakness in that he doesn't want other people to know he was beaten up, he's afraid of being laughed at. Links to the great depression resulting in even the bright or educated losing all their wealth and being forced into migrant work.

He's in a position of respect; he feels he has the authority to imply that the others would support him in telling the other workers what really happened without their explicit position because they view him as their leader. Links to social hierarchy and relationships.

He stands up for the weak and has a strong sense of justice; he could have let Lennie & George be fired - they have no real meaning or connection to him - but he stands up for them instead because he's the voice of justice and reason throughout the novella. Links to power.

I'd say those are the effects. For language features I think it's mostly just colloquial language and phonetic spelling, links to education and the informality of the conversation. Use of pronouns links to Slim believing he has the authority to implicate other characters in his statement.

Hope that helps :smile:

Edit: sorry haha, didn't see the other replies - hopefully that's useful anyway :L
(edited 7 years ago)

someone help please

He uses informal language towards Curley and the fact that Curley actually obeys him. Also, the first part of the quote can kind of indicate a threat towards Curley and it shows that Slim has more authority than Curley, hope this helped :smile:
rahh too many snakes bruv kmt its people like you that has made me pro choice ffs

Bare mans moving bookey like a libary but u gotta do what u gotta do ygm.
Bare mans moving bookey like a libary but u gotta do what u gotta do ygm.

shut up, paigon antics kmt what do you mean 'u gotta do what you gotta do' thats what them dickhead police say when they arrest my bredrin
shut up, paigon antics kmt what do you mean 'u gotta do what you gotta do' thats what them dickhead police say when they arrest my bredrin

ur bedrin deserved to get arrested ygm fam.No need to assosiciate wiv snakes lyk u mandem and gyaldem brap brap
ur bedrin deserved to get arrested ygm fam.No need to assosiciate wiv snakes lyk u mandem and gyaldem brap brap

shut up we aint snakes why do you think i aint in jail? kmt you dumb as hell

dont ever @ my bredrins or ill turn up to your yard and knock you out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending