The Student Room Group

Did your parents pay for your first car or did you pay yourself?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naveed-7
Hi guys,

I dont have a licence yet (annoying and stressful, been too long). I have my second driving test in a few weeks time.

Is it normal if my parent helps pay for my car, or is it babyish?
Please let me know your opinions and your views.

I wouldn't say it's baby-ish. I got my own car before I passed my test, as an incentive to do my test. It worked. Because I paid for it, I feel that I earned it. I put a lot of hours into work to manage to afford my car. I'm not saying that if your parents help you, you'll take it for granted, I think you might not appreciate it as much as if you work hard for it. Some may disagree with me, and that's fine, but this is just my view. I don't regret getting my car, and honestly, I'm glad my parents didn't buy one for me. It was really the first "grown up" thing I did, buying a car. :smile:
Happy motoring once you pass and get a car...just remember Think once, think twice, think bike! :P :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
My parents paid for my driving lessons, car, insurance and tax. I pay for fuel. As I live in the countryside, if I didn't have a car of my own then my parents would have to take me absolutely everywhere. In fact I wouldn't have been able to get a job without a car in the first place as I live too far to walk and there's only one bus a day. I wouldn't have the freedom I have now if it weren't for them and I'm incredibly grateful for that, I don't think it makes me particularly spoilt, just very lucky that my parents were willing and able to help me. I honestly don't know what I'd do without my car and I definitely don't take it for granted!
Original post by sfaraj
i think my brothers is a company car but idk nevertheless i think he paid himself with some help, but with the car I want, there is no way my dad will agree to buy me the car I want :frown: so i think he may buy me a good cheap car from the garage he works at

Remember one still pays for a company car - it's taken out of their paycheck.
Original post by XMaramena
Remember one still pays for a company car - it's taken out of their paycheck.

does it actually, my dad never said that... do you mean like builders vans, cos my dad BOUGHT the car from the garage but it is their property so i dont think he pays for insurance, just petrol...
Original post by sfaraj
does it actually, my dad never said that... do you mean like builders vans, cos my dad BOUGHT the car from the garage but it is their property so i dont think he pays for insurance, just petrol...

Ah, mine works differently - the company leases it from mercedes benz, and cover all the services, insurance, tax etc, and it costs me around £280 which goes down as BIK but lowers my overall salary, but I think it works out that it means I pay less income tax though since the costs for the car come out at the company end, rather than my end.
Original post by XMaramena
Ah, mine works differently - the company leases it from mercedes benz, and cover all the services, insurance, tax etc, and it costs me around £280 which goes down as BIK but lowers my overall salary, but I think it works out that it means I pay less income tax though since the costs for the car come out at the company end, rather than my end.

Yeah that's how a company car usually works - I think the previous person must have meant a salary sacrifice car scheme.

Normally on a company car you pay company car tax which is worked out through the cars value and emissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naveed-7
Hi guys,

I dont have a licence yet (annoying and stressful, been too long). I have my second driving test in a few weeks time.

Is it normal if my parent helps pay for my car, or is it babyish?
Please let me know your opinions and your views.

it's not uncommon depends on the parents and the car personally i wanted the car as my thing that my parents couldn't use as and when buy owing it myself
the first car i bought was a random bid made with my college buddy as a laugh and then we just fixed it and it worked out profitably (we put in £750 each in total and made £4k each and it was a ruined lincoln town car stretch limousine)
the second car i bought was a gift to my dad (an old mk2 jaaag) for his sixtieth
the third car was my fiat 500 but then i lost my job and had to sell it as i couldn't afford the upkeep costs
Reply 27
What's in it for parents to buy their kids a car?
It's expensive - insurance for 17/18 year olds is through the roof (depending on area you live in and it might be lower now than a few years ago - I'm not sure)
Their kids are probably bad, inexperience drivers so buying them a car is like playing Russian roulette with them.
Bad deal for the parents I think. I think they should use that money and go on a nice holiday. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest