The Student Room Group

History or Geography GCSE

I'm in Year nine and in a few weeks i have to take my options.
Currently, I've chosen:
Triple Science
French
Geography/History

Should I take geography or history and as i want to go into sciences at a good university, which one is better to choose? I'm a good essay writer and really want to choose the one I'll enjoy more! x
man did both innit.

Personally i would pick geog, coz youre gonna get the EBacc anyway and geog is way easier
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
man did both innit.

Personally i would pick geog, coz youre gonna get the EBacc anyway and geog is way easier

I do both as well but I would suggest that OP picks history. Believe me or not, history is actually easier contrary to what this person is saying (no offence to you). I've realised that for history you need minimum knowledge and can cram the night before to get an A* whereas geography requires a bit more effort and hard work. Although, you should pick what you enjoy the most, both subjects are equally as good so it's up to you.
Original post by MeerabBieber
I do both as well but I would suggest that OP picks history. Believe me or not, history is actually easier contrary to what this person is saying (no offence to you). I've realised that for history you need minimum knowledge and can cram the night before to get an A* whereas geography requires a bit more effort and hard work. Although, you should pick what you enjoy the most, both subjects are equally as good so it's up to you.

lmaooo guess its subjective at the end. Ive done my geog now (IGCSE, CIE) da papers were bare easy, crammed the night before and hopefully i can get 100% in the main paper

History tho, took me time to master technique, i got A* in the coursework but still it was bare hard and the style is tough. Plus, i dont think its possible to cram for history like come on, so much content !!
lmaooo guess its subjective at the end. Ive done my geog now (IGCSE, CIE) da papers were bare easy, crammed the night before and hopefully i can get 100% in the main paper

History tho, took me time to master technique, i got A* in the coursework but still it was bare hard and the style is tough. Plus, i dont think its possible to cram for history like come on, so much content !!

Your right, it is subjective. I personally cram for history; our school has made a really good on line textbook and reading that the night before is really helpful. For georgraphy, I have to do atleast a weeks revision as the questions ask you to be specific and to the point.
I did both. I hated Geography, but I absolutely adored History. I would say history and something other than geography.
Your right, it is subjective. I personally cram for history; our school has made a really good on line textbook and reading that the night before is really helpful. For georgraphy, I have to do atleast a weeks revision as the questions ask you to be specific and to the point.

ye igy bruv

Depends on the board really, i do Edexcel history A and some topics, well, its practically impossible to learn even a 1/2 of it in one night. CIE iGCSE geog tho is piss easy, i didnt even make notes, just read through the file
ye igy bruv

Depends on the board really, i do Edexcel history A and some topics, well, its practically impossible to learn even a 1/2 of it in one night. CIE iGCSE geog tho is piss easy, i didnt even make notes, just read through the file

I do the same board as you for history? What are you studying for each unit?
I'm doing Cold war, Russia and Britain 1931-5.
I do the same board as you for history? What are you studying for each unit?
I'm doing Cold war, Russia and Britain 1931-5.

damnn, im doing cold war, britain and USA

Britain is piss easy, plus ive got a mate whos scrolled thru all the past papers and narrowed it down to 4 possible topics that may come.

Idk about russia but Cold war and USA has so much bladddy content, but i guess exam technique aint that bad.
Reply 9

I agree, the amount of content to learn for history is insane :frown: I take both subjects as well and they are two of my favourite! I'd say geography is easier
Original post by cicelym
I agree, the amount of content to learn for history is insane :frown: I take both subjects as well and they are two of my favourite! I'd say geography is easier

Truss, geogs way easier, just content, nothing conceptual innit
Take History I took it crammed the night before for my mocks and ended up with 84% in the subject which was an A. I hated Geography and always failed the subject as I found Rivers, Ecosystem etc boring as hell so didn't take it for GCSE. I always loved History so much and trust me GCSE History is not too hard you can cram the night before. Geography is much harder than History and requires a lot more effort. I did Geography until year 9 and found that you need to put in much more effort than you would have to with History.
Reply 12
i HATE history with a passion, maybe because im bad at writing subjects so I prefer geography. history and english are the subjects that are going to bring my overall performance down ughh. If you like essays and dont mind writing a lot, choose History

Posted from TSR Mobile
History: Lots of content to remember.

Geography: Links with science so it's a bit easier to remember.

Personally, I prefer geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dont take geography i HATE it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Truss, geogs way easier, just content, nothing conceptual innit

Actually geography is hard because of the amount of content you have to k ow but the actual theory is easy to understand. You obviously haven't done the same amount of case studies as me because they take ages to learn and you can't cram either the theory or case studies. May I ask what you normally get on past papers and mocks?
Original post by orangecupcake
Currently, I've chosen:
Triple Science
French
Geography/History

Should I take geography or history and as i want to go into sciences at a good university, which one is better to choose? I'm a good essay writer and really want to choose the one I'll enjoy more! x

If you are good at essay writing choose History however if you want to find it more enjoyable choose Geography. I'm just finishing my GCSE in Geography AND History so I know what both entail :wink:
Reply 17
Take History it's more interesting and not as much work is required for things like coursework
Original post by orangecupcake
Currently, I've chosen:
Triple Science
French
Geography/History

History. Always history.
Find out what history topics because if they're interesting you will enjoy it and will remember it (Nazi Germany is imprinted in my brain because its fascinating) but if you hate it there is alot of content. Most people say Geography but it a personal opinion and universitys ect. dont tend to look at subjects at GCSE

Quick Reply