The Student Room Group

English Lit OMAM & Jekyll & Hyde predictions?

What do you think will be asked on Monday? 😊 (Particularly in OMAM as I'm really struggling with this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mellowjoker
What do you think will be asked on Monday? 😊 (Particularly in OMAM as I'm really struggling with this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bet a question on Candy will come up.
Part A: Death of candys dog - how does Steinbeck present tension and hostility and Part B: Futility of dreams.
Reply 3
Original post by laumatthews
Part A: Death of candys dog - how does Steinbeck present tension and hostility and Part B: Futility of dreams.

Thank you! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Candy came up in 2014 though....I'm scared too ffs

Is it weird that I have a gut feeling that this particular question WILL come up?
Reply 6
Original post by MeerabBieber
Is it weird that I have a gut feeling that this particular question WILL come up?

Do you have any ideas for what could be said to answer the question? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good shout tbh
Do you have any ideas for what could be said to answer the question? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For part a, you could talk about Carlson's almost insensitivity at shooting the dog which is emphasised when he pets the dog almost as if it's completely normal to be this casual before shooting someone to their death. This is a stark contrast to Candy who becomes emotionless and in a state of paralysis in this scene; he has been hit hard by the permanent separation of not just his dog, but his only companion. Someone he relied on for support and companionship has been snatched from him all the while he cannot say anything which emphasises his misery and helplessness in this situation. This is evident when ' he stared at the ceiling' and 'lay back on his bunk' in resignation and a sign of giving up, knowing that he can never compete with the other characters.

Throughout the whole scene, Candy 'does not answer' to anyone but remains quiet, his silence itself leaving a thick tension hanging in the air with the reader evidently aware that Candy does not approve of the death of his dog and does not respond to anyone because not only does he bitterly resent them for their actions in that moment, he has been overwhelmed with agonising pain which is shown when he 'rolled slowly', having become weak with grief and despair.

I don't know if this helps because I'm still struggling with literature too. But if I were you, I'd refer to the amount of times Steinbeck refers to silence in this whole scene and expand on it, stating how it represents tension and distrust and alternatively heartbreak and sorrow. You could also talk about the dog getting up 'slowly and stiffly to his feet' almost as if he can feel the tension too and already knows that he will be shot/killed. Although, he could be getting up 'slowly' because of how old and frail he has actually become which perhaps has been written by Steinbeck to help the reader understand why the other characters feel the dog has to go.
Reply 9
Can anyone tell me some key quotes for some characters as my teacher hasn't really given me any info and I am pretty sure quotes are a HUGE deal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
My teacher said that she thought it might be on the end scene, with part a) asking about how loneliness and isolation are presented and part b) asking about if the characters are destined to follow a set path and have their fate already planned out
For part a, you could talk about Carlson's almost insensitivity at shooting the dog which is emphasised when he pets the dog almost as if it's completely normal to be this casual before shooting someone to their death. This is a stark contrast to Candy who becomes emotionless and in a state of paralysis in this scene; he has been hit hard by the permanent separation of not just his dog, but his only companion. Someone he relied on for support and companionship has been snatched from him all the while he cannot say anything which emphasises his misery and helplessness in this situation. This is evident when ' he stared at the ceiling' and 'lay back on his bunk' in resignation and a sign of giving up, knowing that he can never compete with the other characters.

Throughout the whole scene, Candy 'does not answer' to anyone but remains quiet, his silence itself leaving a thick tension hanging in the air with the reader evidently aware that Candy does not approve of the death of his dog and does not respond to anyone because not only does he bitterly resent them for their actions in that moment, he has been overwhelmed with agonising pain which is shown when he 'rolled slowly', having become weak with grief and despair.

I don't know if this helps because I'm still struggling with literature too. But if I were you, I'd refer to the amount of times Steinbeck refers to silence in this whole scene and expand on it, stating how it represents tension and distrust and alternatively heartbreak and sorrow. You could also talk about the dog getting up 'slowly and stiffly to his feet' almost as if he can feel the tension too and already knows that he will be shot/killed. Although, he could be getting up 'slowly' because of how old and frail he has actually become which perhaps has been written by Steinbeck to help the reader understand why the other characters feel the dog has to go.

Oh my goodness thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my goodness thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome :smile:

Do you think these interpretations are good enough for at least a Band 5? I really want to get a good grade in this subject; I already messed up my Ca, I really can't afford to lose any marks for this.
Your welcome :smile:

Do you think these interpretations are good enough for at least a Band 5? I really want to get a good grade in this subject; I already messed up my Ca, I really can't afford to lose any marks for this.

How many marks did you manage to grab in your CA?
Original post by Thundershock
How many marks did you manage to grab in your CA?

22/40:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending