The Student Room Group

Becoming a neurosurgeon??

Scroll to see replies

you won't get in.
Reply 21
Original post by Talkand...Talk
Hello everyone, first of all thxs for coming to my thread lo.l. Anyway im 12 yrs old and i wannabe a neurosurgeon. I want to go to Leicester university. I know that the entry requirements for that uni is at least a grade C in English Language and Mathematics, and Grade B in 2 sciences, including Chemistry, or Double Science. Im taking my IGCSE Edexcel Bio, Chem and Phys and Math GCSE AQA this yr nxt year English and Geography , (im homeschooled btw),
and for A-levels, 3 is needed but im planning on taking 4 when im 14 ( Physics and Math at 14 then Chem and Bio at 15) but i was wondering how long it actually takes to become a neurosurgeon??? Any answer would be useful.
Thanks!!

You have to be 18 to start Medical School. You will be starting with everyone else, no earlier. It will take about 18 years from the start of Medical school till you are a consultant neurosurgeon.

In order to get interviews for Medicine you are going to need near enough straight As (with some A*s) due to the fierce competition.

I would wait until 14 for GCSEs then 16 for A-Levels, before applying to Medical school to start at the age of 18.
So what neurosurgical experience do you have?

UCL's entry requirements:

"GCE A-levels
We require three A-levels (which must be completed within two years). "

That's the first example I tried. Do your research. You will not get in without it.

2. its MY CAREER i dont care what looks weird and what dosent bcz after all the uni's only care about the papers, not how much u completed in a year!

Yes, they do.

3. WAIT WAIT... HOLD UP... SO U ACTUALLY THINK that focusing on 13 EXAMS is the easier than focusing on 4 EXAMS!!!! U have it twisted. I can focus on 4 SUBJECTS while ppl at school are stressed Over 13, i dont agree with that!!

In my experience, yes. You see it all the time - candidates that will go on to get straight As and A*s take exams early and come out with a B or a C because they aren't mature enough yet. And because its not within the two year period it won't count even if they got an A anyway.

4. THEY DO NOT need to be taken in a 2 yr period, remember i am not at school my dad is a private teacher and has his own rules, and HE is teaching me and which rule says u NEED to take a-levels over a 2 year period????

No, universities do not make special rules for your dad.

Anyway im 12 yrs old.

Yes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Faint smell of troll anyone, or is it just me?
I would be more focused on having a childhood.
Original post by nexttime

"GCE A-levels

That's the first example I tried. Do your research. You will not get in without it.

Yes, they do.

In my experience, yes. You see it all the time - candidates that will go on to get straight As and A*s take exams early and come out with a B or a C because they aren't mature enough yet. And because its not within the two year period it won't count even if they got an A anyway.

Yes.

Thank you. Reading this thread I was thinking the same thing.

To the 12 year old kid: well done but life isn't fair and you will have to wait until your 18 to get into medical school and the way you're doing your A-levels are messed up (won't help your application).
Reply 26
Ok i usnderstand that

2. its MY CAREER i dont care what looks weird and what dosent bcz after all the uni's only care about the papers, not how much u completed in a year!

3. WAIT WAIT... HOLD UP... SO U ACTUALLY THINK that focusing on 13 EXAMS is the easier than focusing on 4 EXAMS!!!! U have it twisted. I can focus on 4 SUBJECTS while ppl at school are stressed Over 13, i dont agree with that!!

4. THEY DO NOT need to be taken in a 2 yr period, remember i am not at school my dad is a private teacher and has his own rules, and HE is teaching me and which rule says u NEED to take a-levels over a 2 year period????

If I were you just spend time enjoying being young. 12 is still extremely young.
Firstly universities like you to complete a levels in two years to see if you are capable of doing a large work load. Spreading it shows that you may not be able to handle the work load.
Unfortunately applying to university, isn't about taking the easy route it's about doing what is needed. Yes fourteen in a year is a lot. I did 23 exams in year eleven for GCSEs and did very well. Also you need to make sure you're doing enough subjects. Some unis might specify a minimum number of GCSEs.
Not to be rude to your father in sure he's dedicating a lot to homeschooling you. But he's not a medical school. If he can give you a medical degree then he can make his own rules. If not then you have to go by the set rules. Almost all Medicals schools state that a levels must be taken in two years.
Also another piece of advice, it's not a good idea to start being rude to people that are giving up their time to try and give you advice. What every has said so far is completely true. Is there a reason why you were taken out of mainstream school to be homeschooled? Tbh it will probably be quite limiting. I'm sure your dad is extremely smart but he won't have the knowledge and expertise to teach you every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
No i didnt take higher tier last year, i took foundation and C the maximum mark in foundation math. this yr im taking the higher im aiming for a A*.
Chem im aiming for A
Physics im aiming for A
Math im aiming for A*
Bio im aiming for A*

Lol bcz i know that competition is high in medicine :biggrin:

What about subjects like English? A language? You'd need a wider breadth of GCSE subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Spreading exams and qualifications out is a bad idea in medicine. A-levels need to be taken in a 2 year period.

I know this isn't my thread but im curious
I took gcse chem early and maths quite early. Does that matter?
Reply 29
Original post by champ_mc99
I know this isn't my thread but im curious
I took gcse chem early and maths quite early. Does that matter?

How early? It's not as much of an issue for GCSEs I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Etomidate
I would be more focused on having a childhood.

I have a fun childhood tbh, for example i go football on sat and swimming on fri, im truly not missing anything well thats how i feel
QUOTE=ozmo19;65030827]You have to be 18 to start Medical School. You will be starting with everyone else, no earlier. It will take about 18 years from the start of Medical school till you are a consultant neurosurgeon.

In order to get interviews for Medicine you are going to need near enough straight As (with some A*s) due to the fierce competition.

I would wait until 14 for GCSEs then 16 for A-Levels, before applying to Medical school to start at the age of 18.

Thxs for the advice
Original post by surina16
you won't get in.

Lol txhs for getting straight to the point :smile:, so shall i do all my a-levels in 2 yr period??
Original post by mliela
What about subjects like English? A language? You'd need a wider breadth of GCSE subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. Next year i was planning on taking English and geography, will 5 be enough??
Original post by mliela
If I were you just spend time enjoying being young. 12 is still extremely young.
Firstly universities like you to complete a levels in two years to see if you are capable of doing a large work load. Spreading it shows that you may not be able to handle the work load.
Unfortunately applying to university, isn't about taking the easy route it's about doing what is needed. Yes fourteen in a year is a lot. I did 23 exams in year eleven for GCSEs and did very well. Also you need to make sure you're doing enough subjects. Some unis might specify a minimum number of GCSEs.
Not to be rude to your father in sure he's dedicating a lot to homeschooling you. But he's not a medical school. If he can give you a medical degree then he can make his own rules. If not then you have to go by the set rules. Almost all Medicals schools state that a levels must be taken in two years.
Also another piece of advice, it's not a good idea to start being rude to people that are giving up their time to try and give you advice. What every has said so far is completely true. Is there a reason why you were taken out of mainstream school to be homeschooled? Tbh it will probably be quite limiting. I'm sure your dad is extremely smart but he won't have the knowledge and expertise to teach you every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, ok i think i will talk to my dad about it. AND u are very right i shouldn't be rude :smile: thxs for the VERY helpful advice :smile:
Original post by ozmo19
You have to be 18 to start Medical School. You will be starting with everyone else, no earlier. It will take about 18 years from the start of Medical school till you are a consultant neurosurgeon.

I'm fine with going into med school at 18, i defo dont want to go earlier!!! But i was just wondering about A-levels
Thxs :smile:
Original post by nexttime

"GCE A-levels

Yes, they do.

Yes.

I just have checked and for Leicetser uni it didnt say do it over a period, OMG im soo confused. Thxs for ur advice tho :smile:
Original post by lifeistoff
It's great to have ambition so young but as others have said, you can't start medicine until you're 18!
I'd hang fire with your exams right now but read ahead on the subjects and how life as a medic is in general to get you motivated.

One thing I regretted not starting early as an aspiring surgeon was work experience or even trying to get involved in more things like SJA, becoming head girl/boy and volunteering as much as possible! You will struggle to get work experience so young but there's PLENTY to do in the mean time to boost that future personal statement!

Thank you for the nice reply! I know that i will start med school at 18 i defo dont wanna start any earlier lol! But im just confused about A-levels, bcz when i checked the entry requirement for Leicester uni it didnt say do it over a 2-yr period, soooo confused right now lol
lmao this thread is funny.
Judging by the way you reacted to somebody offering advice by saying that they are "jealous of a 12 year old" I would perhaps take a step back and actually listen to those who have been through the process... You seem like somebody who refuses to listen to others and throws a massive tantrum when somebody doesn't say something that favours you.

It is a general rule that you need to sit your A-Levels within a two year period as others have said, and doing them early won't necessarily benefit your application. I have to say though, I do genuinely applaud your efforts and I wish you the best of luck in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest