The Student Room Group

How would I maintain Muscle during Ramadan?

Hi,

During June, as a Muslim but avid weightlifter, I would like to know how to maintain muscle during Ramadan and not lose it due to extended periods of fasting. Can anyone please advise?

I'm thinking of going gym at midnight...

Thanks!

N.B. Ramadan is a period of time for Muslims where Muslims fast for a month. The fasting is (this year) approximately 16 hours...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The youtube channel barbell and kilos did a preparing for Ramadan series last year, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/user/DominateHumbly/featured
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,

During June, as a Muslim but avid weightlifter, I would like to know how to maintain muscle during Ramadan and not lose it due to extended periods of fasting. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks!

N.B. Ramadan is a period of time for Muslims where Muslims fast for a month. The fasting is (this year) approximately 16 hours...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Water Water Water
Original post by Angry cucumber
The youtube channel barbell and kilos did a preparing for Ramadan series last year, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/user/DominateHumbly/featured

Thanks! Will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LastMinReviseGuy
Water Water Water

Are you serious? I can't drink while fasting 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you serious? I can't drink while fasting 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before and after fasting, duh.
Reply 6
calm down its not that deep.
Reply 7
If you can't lift as often as normal I wouldn't stress it, it's not really that long. If/when you can then I'd go with midnight with first thing in the morning being second choice but potentially making fasting harder if you get hungrier after.

The key thing is going to be not loosing weight or minimising it at least. So during the time you do eat you need to eat maintenance calories. I wouldn't be too fussy about what those calories are so long as your protein intake doesn't go to hell. I'd eat a lot of nuts, 100g of peanuts isn't hard to eat but is the better part of 600kcal. I'd also not drink water, calories in your drinks is better if getting enough in is going to be hard.

But mostly I wouldn't stress it. I've gone a month without training before and I was back to where I was within a few weeks. You should be able to maintain most of your weight, everyone doesn't turn into sticks during Ramadan, so your muscle loss won't be that much. Whatever you do loose, it's easier to gain back than gain for the first time
Hi,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's basically just a form of Intermittent Fasting (you've got an 8 hour eating window), which a lot of people use whether gaining muscle or cutting. Your total weekly caloric and daily protein intake is going to be the main factor, so as long as you're still getting your macros in you'll be fine. An Islamic guy I chat to at my gym reckons he gets half his calories in at sunset, works out an hour or two later and then gets the other half in before going to bed and gets to bed about 1am.
Calisthenics at midnight. :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest