The Student Room Group

A level choices

For next year I hope to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. The problem is I also want to do further maths and I don't really want to drop the other three what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
For next year I hope to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. The problem is I also want to do further maths and I don't really want to drop the other three what do I do?

do all of them then
Original post by samb1234
do all of them then

That's the problem I can't do 5 a levels I can only do 4
That's the problem I can't do 5 a levels I can only do 4

Well what do you ultimately see yourself doing? What science would you say is your favourite
Well what do you ultimately see yourself doing? What science would you say is your favourite

Chemistry and physics I would most likely drop biology
Chemistry and physics I would most likely drop biology

If you are fairly sure on physics/chem, then I don't really see the point of doing biology if you're interested in fm as fm is extremely useful to have were you to pursue physics further
If you are fairly sure on physics/chem, then I don't really see the point of doing biology if you're interested in fm as fm is extremely useful to have were you to pursue physics further

Yeah true thank you, because I want to do Theoretical Physics and FM would be more useful than Biology

If you're going to want to do further maths, then I guess you would like to go into a maths field. Therefore I'd advise you to maybe drop Biology as it's the least mathy out of the choices. However, if you want to go into a medicine/science field, don't do Further Maths as it won't really come into use.

If you don't know what you want to do in the future, think about which subject is the least accessible and think about dropping that one. For instance - is Further Maths only going to help with a Maths degree? Is Biology going to come into more use in most degrees than Chemistry? etc.

You're doing Maths, anyway, so it's not as though you're missing out on a whole subject. You just won't be able to delve into the course as much. And if you're that desperate to do FM, think about doing it privately or self teaching it. Many people do and come out with top grades, especially as you can teach it to yourself using your preferred way of learning.
I do maths, further maths. physics and chemistry. I hate biology so I just thought I will take chemistry. So take chemistry. It is bloody hard though.
Original post by george_c00per
If you're going to want to do further maths, then I guess you would like to go into a maths field. Therefore I'd advise you to maybe drop Biology as it's the least mathy out of the choices. However, if you want to go into a medicine/science field, don't do Further Maths as it won't really come into use.

If you don't know what you want to do in the future, think about which subject is the least accessible and think about dropping that one. For instance - is Further Maths only going to help with a Maths degree? Is Biology going to come into more use in most degrees than Chemistry? etc.

You're doing Maths, anyway, so it's not as though you're missing out on a whole subject. You just won't be able to delve into the course as much. And if you're that desperate to do FM, think about doing it privately or self teaching it. Many people do and come out with top grades, especially as you can teach it to yourself using your preferred way of learning.

Ok thanks, and yeah kind of because I want to do Theorectical physics with maths
Original post by Funnycatvideos
I do maths, further maths. physics and chemistry. I hate biology so I just thought I will take chemistry. So take chemistry. It is bloody hard though.

Ok because I'm planning on doing the same a levels that you are. What did you get in GCSE's?
Yeah true thank you, because I want to do Theoretical Physics and FM would be more useful than Biology

If you want to do theoretical physics then I would highly highly recommend further maths. For some courses further maths will be a requirement and for others it will be highly highly preferred as well as giving you some of the skills you will need to learn eventually anyway
Definitely take FM over biology. Biology is a huge waste of time for anyone wanting to study any form of physical science/maths (from experience), especially when FM will give you a massive advantage.
Ok because I'm planning on doing the same a levels that you are. What did you get in GCSE's?

2A* 5A 3B
A*'s were in maths and further additional science.
A's were in Geography, graphics. psychology, Stats and Additional science.
B's in english language and lit and core science
Advice for physics: do some pre-reading on uncertainties
Ok thanks, and yeah kind of because I want to do Theorectical physics with maths

Yeah, Biology won't really be of massive use to you for that, and Chemistry maybe wouldn't be that much either. Have you ever thought about doing another non-science subject instead of your 4th choice? That way, you have a range of subjects and if something terrible goes wrong and you don't want to do theoretical physics at uni you could do something non-science related instead. However, I understand that that isn't easy to do, and people's strengths lie in different areas, but it's just a thought.
Glad I could help! :smile:
If you want to do theoretical physics then I would highly highly recommend further maths. For some courses further maths will be a requirement and for others it will be highly highly preferred as well as giving you some of the skills you will need to learn eventually anyway

Yeah true and thanks so much for your help!
Original post by TajwarC
Definitely take FM over biology. Biology is a huge waste of time for anyone wanting to study any form of physical science/maths (from experience), especially when FM will give you a massive advantage.

True, thanks! :smile:
If you want to do something maths related at university (e.g. engineering, computer science, economics, physics or maths) then I would recommend choosing further maths and dropping either biology or chemistry (although chemistry is also useful if you want to do physics or some engineering courses). So probably biology is the best one to drop. If you enjoy maths, are fairly good at it and want to study something maths related, definitely choose further maths over biology.
Original post by Funnycatvideos
2A* 5A 3B
A*'s were in maths and further additional science.
A's were in Geography, graphics. psychology, Stats and Additional science.
B's in english language and lit and core science
Advice for physics: do some pre-reading on uncertainties

Nice results! And thanks for the advice for physics
Original post by george_c00per
Yeah, Biology won't really be of massive use to you for that, and Chemistry maybe wouldn't be that much either. Have you ever thought about doing another non-science subject instead of your 4th choice? That way, you have a range of subjects and if something terrible goes wrong and you don't want to do theoretical physics at uni you could do something non-science related instead. However, I understand that that isn't easy to do, and people's strengths lie in different areas, but it's just a thought.
Glad I could help! :smile:

Yeah I'll think about it and thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest