The Student Room Group

FFS my brother has become a vegan!!!!

No idea where to start!!! So angry and annoyed yet understanding at the same time! My brother has become a vegan...not over a few weeks..overnight literally!!!! like...WTF!

Ok so here goes my rant about my brother becoming a vegan

Firstly, he randomly said to us out of the blue, 'I'm a Vegan'. We thought he was joking at first but he really has become one. We wanted to know why, what did he watch as thats pretty much the ONLY way you know of the animal cruelty going on and being 'raped' of their milk.etc..blah blah blah I am no expert. He said me watched some video with Paul McCartney and some Vegan god whos bald and preaches to everyone, which I also watched but it did not change my mind at all. I KNOW that animal cruelty goes on but I am not going to change. It has not affected my psychologically in any way. I ENJOY eating meat, eggs, honey, eggs, butter. The only way for animal cruelty to stop is if 50% of Earths population were against killing and raping animals. But its not, so why the f!*k are there, from online statistics, 2.5 million vegans out of like 7billion and thers no HUGE change? What EXACTLY are they doing to change it all? Apart from the fact that its unhealthy if you dont do it right, or dont have the right healthy body to then cut out ALL meat, dairy etc.

And dont even get me STARTED on meal times and how it pisses off the whole family everytime we decide what to eat.. At one point, the whole family were 'trying' to go vegan, but they couldn't as its so hard to cut out meat etc, but my brother has carried on. All he eats is potatoes and vegetables (exaggerating slightly). Its stressful for my mum who pretty much has to buy 2 meals, meat and double the amount of veg, then theres silly almond milk, this vegan cheese, like shes going to be buying that **** every week from God knows-where!!! Then theres preparing and cooking for 2 meals as well. And seeing as we are Greek, its a sin to become a vegan and cut out 'MEAT', (joke joke), but I saw the funny side of it as all Greeks eat meat pretty much!

I just had to share my story on here, I know for a fact I have insulted some vegans so apologies but I had to get my rant out. This is the only place I could talk about it. If anyone has had the same sort of experience, please share and tell me..is there light at the end of the tunnel? Is it just a phase? Any serious medical tests that should happen before become a vegan (even though he is already one)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mumford & Dragons
No idea where to start!!! So angry and annoyed yet understanding at the same time! My brother has become a vegan...not over a few weeks..overnight literally!!!! like...WTF!

Firstly, he randomly said to us out of the blue, 'I'm a Vegan'. We thought he was joking at first but he really has become one. We wanted to know why, what did he watch as thats pretty much the ONLY way you know of the animal cruelty going on and being 'raped' of their milk.etc..blah blah blah I am no expert. He said me watched some video with Paul McCartney and some Vegan god whos bald and preaches to everyone, which I also watched but it did not change my mind at all. I KNOW that animal cruelty goes on but I am not going to change. It has not affected my psychologically in any way. I ENJOY eating meat, eggs, honey, eggs, butter. The only way for animal cruelty to stop is if 50% of Earths population were against killing and raping animals. But its not, so why the f!*k are there, from online statistics, 2.5 million vegans out of like 7billion and thers no HUGE change? What EXACTLY are they doing to change it all? Apart from the fact that its unhealthy if you dont do it right, or dont have the right healthy body to then cut out ALL meat, dairy etc.

And dont even get me STARTED on meal times and how it pisses off the whole family everytime we decide what to eat.. At one point, the whole family were 'trying' to go vegan, but they couldn't as its so hard to cut out meat etc, but my brother has carried on. All he eats is potatoes and vegetables (exaggerating slightly). Its stressful for my mum who pretty much has to buy 2 meals, meat and double the amount of veg, then theres silly almond milk, this vegan cheese, like shes going to be buying that **** every week from God knows-where!!! Then theres preparing and cooking for 2 meals as well. And seeing as we are Greek, its a sin to become a vegan and cut out 'MEAT', (joke joke), but I saw the funny side of it as all Greeks eat meat pretty much!

I just had to share my story on here, I know for a fact I have insulted some vegans so apologies but I had to get my rant out. This is the only place I could talk about it. If anyone has had the same sort of experience, please share and tell me..is there light at the end of the tunnel? Is it just a phase? Any serious medical tests that should happen before become a vegan (even though he is already one)

Make him buy his own food?
Your brother is showing compassion for animals. If this is something you don't experience, that is a personal thing and does not affect whether your brother feels okay supporting the murder/abuse of animals.
Every time you buy meat, you are giving money to and supporting the meat (aka animal abuse) industry. This is something people who disagree with the industry and care about animals don't want to do - so they sacrifice their love of meat. It's food, and its no big deal. I'm vegan, and seriously, I used to love bacon and chicken nuggets. I probably still would if the production didn't involve murder.

If money is the problem, your brother needs to make a meal plan and buy appropriately priced foods. Being vegan doesn't have to be expensive, you just have to think about what you buy more carefully. This isn't your job - it's your brothers.

Health-wise he also needs to be careful. He should take B Vitamins every day, and should make sure he eats enough of each food group just as anybody on a particular diet should. Tell him to look on The Vegan Society website for more information on this, and he needs to put the research in. Read a lot of articles about ways to get nutrition and recipes.

Please don't get angry at your brother for his diet choices! If he isn't taking enough responsibility for feeding and looking after himself, this is an entirely different issue to him wanting to be vegan.
Vegans aren't all angry, sandalled people holding "MEAT IS MURDER" signs! I think you should read about veganism and animal cruelty. Even if you think you don't care, maybe you just don't know enough. Or maybe you don't care - everyone is different! That's okay! Just don't base your life choices on what the majority do, and if you think something isn't right, don't support it.

:smile:

While he still living with his parents, he should eat what's given to him. This was always the rule in my house. If he wants to go vegan, he can wait a couple of years.
Reply 4
Why are you angry? He's not making you go vegan. It's his choice what he eats just like its your choice what you eat. You have nothing to be angry about. Deal with it.
Plant cruelty fam
Reply 6
You're brother seems like a good person. Although the number of vegans isn't big, the number is growing exponentially. You've got to think about how 400 years having slaves was a normal thing and it took a while for people people to see it as something that should not be happening. It's going to take time to get 50% of the population to be vegan, but that's all the more reason to keep fighting for that statistic for be a reality. It kinda shows how you'll only conform to the norm.

As a vegan myself, I do not see how buying twice as much vegetables is a problem; they are relatively cheap especially in comparison to meat and dairy products. As for almond milk and vegan cheese, most vegans buy them at the start of their veganism to sort of ease into it but then you sort of realise you don't need it(and that vegan cheese takes like crap). A lot of vegans tend to eat quite basic foods like just fruit/veg and grains like rice because they have more nutrients than all the shop bought stuff(loaded with salt and oil) and eating basic is easier and you feel a lot lighter. Get your brother to stand on his own two feet and learn to cook for himself, it will be easier for everyone. When I turned vegetarian I had to cook my own meals and it's been a journey but I'm kind of making progress :tongue:

It's really sweet of your family to try go vegan, I have a very unsupportive family so you're quite lucky. There are loads of really good meat substitutes (I.e quorn). And for going to restaurants and stuff, it's not too difficult. Your brother might have to order side dishes instead(I usually end up getting salads with potatoes/chips/rice/beans(depending where you go). You can veganise many main dishes too such as getting veggie burgers without Mayo or cheese.

Any ways, hope that helps.
Thanks for the helpful information everyone, really appreciate it! Sorry that I sounded a bit angry and and probably came across as obnoxious. I guess when it came to hearing about people being vegan/vegetarian on the TV or on the internet, you sort of agreed with their views and understood their point, and was like 'meh good for you to not eat meat'. But when it came to your own family member becoming a vegan, it was a big thing. I guess we have to show him support at least! :smile:
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
You selfish bitch

That's a bit harsh. Her brother is rejecting the family way, hence the upset. He has in effect stuck two fingers up to his family. I get that. And the family have tried to accommodate him which has impacted on their own ways.

As others have said, it is for this lad to sort out his own diet rather than expect his mum to cook two different meals. That is just common courtesy.
Good on him, my family used to criticise me so much for going vegan & still make snide comments but animals give me strength tbh. I'm not going to change for them. Trust me the difficulties you think you & the rest of your family feel due to his decision is nothing compared to what happens to innocent animals on a daily basis around the world. Just accept his decision & try to be more supportive about it.
Reply 10
There is nothing wrong with what your brother has done, as long as he is prepared to cook for himself when asked.
Reply 11
being a vegan seems like unnecessary stress.
I think it's time for an old-fashioned TSR intervention to exercise the vegan out of your brother's body and soul.
Original post by emobambam
I think it's time for an old-fashioned TSR intervention to exercise the vegan out of your brother's body and soul.

haha what does that involve!? :biggrin:
congrats to your brother, can he give me tips?
haha what does that involve!? :biggrin:

[video="youtube;bf7M-C-J1j8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7M-C-J1j8[/video]
Original post by the bear
[video="youtube;bf7M-C-J1j8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7M-C-J1j8[/video]

hahaha! Thats awesome:laugh::laugh:
Reply 17

There are far worse things in life
:redface:
So I may be biased as I am a vegan myself - but your brother is making a choice for himself, and while it may seem odd/annoying to you, I think if you try to see it from his point of view (not saying you have to become vegan too), you might feel less frustrated.

I come from a family that eat WAY too much meat (Iranians) and I was discouraged from veganism too - but at the end of the day, I stuck to it, and my family just accepted it.
It'll take some time to get used to it, but you will. :smile: It's good you let off some steam though.
Hey, just wanted to point something out guys! :smile: Not trying to go against anyone life choices but not all meat or dairy/eggs/honey etc. is from horrible sources! Some of my family are farmers and they treat their animals better than most people will treat their cats or dogs. I find it really annoying that people generalise to all animal produce and say its all from unethical places and horrible when people seem to be quite happy having pets such as cats or dogs when the breading that goes on there is even worse to the point that animals such as pugs often lose the ability to breath correctly because they have been bread for the popular market. I understand that some of the industry is nasty but please never believe everything that peta comes out with because less farmers than put out will damage his animals as they seem to think because they wouldn't be worth anything to sell. Stressed or hurt animals wouldn't grow up healthy or produce anything that is wanted for the market well enough and would simply be more expensive to house and look after :smile:
Sorry for the rant and by all means, be vegan or vegetarian as i full accept some of the business for animals is awful, but please don't generalise all animal produce in to one category no matter what you believe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest