The Student Room Group

AQA ECON 2 Resit 23rd May

Any predictions for this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Hopefully something nice is sadly all I can offer. I'd like a generalised MEPOs question for the 25 marker.
I think AQA are gonna throw a curveball at us imo because I've noticed a trend in past papers.

If the paper was easier the year before, they make the paper harder the following year.

Considering last years paper was easier than previous papers, its likely that it will be hard.

I'm really hoping its not tho!!!
It will likely be hard because we're all A2 students that gives AQA more of a 'license' to give us a hard paper
Original post by ragreener1
It will likely be hard because we're all A2 students that gives AQA more of a 'license' to give us a hard paper

I haven't revised the whole A2, though . . . I'm panicking now. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I haven't revised the whole A2, though . . . I'm panicking now. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't really put in A2 concepts, but they can put in the more difficult AS concepts, I'm writing what I think might come up now
This is all just educated guessing but here's my view:

Deflation - This could come up though would be difficult for an AS Paper, but is relevant and because in almost all circumstances everyone is an A2 student so AQA won't be that bothered about throwing us a hard paper

Monetary Policy - Basically dead, unlikely to come up, interest rates remained the same for years, inflation low, not really working, therefore unlikely to come up. Though because it's a hard paper I could see Quantitive Easing coming up, especially because the EU has upped it recently.

Supply Side - I would be genuinely surprised if this didn't come up, very hot on the conservative's political agenda. Changes to taxation, Living Wage very important here. Could also see something related to greater productivity (capital replacing labour) coming up here, while it would cause LR growth, it would mean unemployment, and and could mess up the redistribution of income and wealth (After all we will soon lose our jobs to robots). The productivity one could be difficult, hence why I think it may come up.

Fiscal Policy - Could come up, Osborne not wanting to run a budget deficit, evaluation of neoclassical (free-market) vs Keynesian. We're at 5.1% unemployment, 5% is Natural Rate of Unemployment, so not a lot of spare capacity, so fiscal policy is potentially dangerous.

Brexit - I think this could come up as a scenario, but I'm not sure whether or not this will be ECON2 or ECON4, as I'm writing this I'm feeling more ECON4 with reference to tariffs etc. But if it was to come up I could see a question referring to the effect of Brexit on the UK economy. (Trade falls, but better Balance of Payments, Growth Falls - Less attractive for Foreign Direct Investment, less immigration, Employment - potential impact to firms trading with EU causing unemployment)

China - Again rather relevant, I see two potentials here, effect of Chinese Slowdown on UK Economy, or a slightly trickier one, has the move from an agricultural economy to a manufacturing economy in China benefited the Chinese (While we benefit from cheap stuff, little improvement to standards of living - The rich get richer the poor get poorer)

So, here's how I see the paper:

A context on Supply Side, possibly vs Fiscal.
A context on either Trade or Growth (Or both - Brexit, China).
Though maybe a deflation question in there somewhere as a 12 mk.

I think the best way to approach this paper is to get as good as possible on the 25 multiple choice, nail the definition and comparisons (as these should be fairly simple), 12 marker is also fairly simple. Then for the 25 marker very few marks are needed to get an A if the rest of the paper is good.

edit: I'll look at all the papers tomorrow and see what hasn't come up recently
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
The Unit one resit paper was kinda hard with both being based on externalities, (one negative in production and the other positive in consumption from what I remember) so they may decide to throw some hard questions on this resit too :frown:
Original post by ozzie2
The Unit one resit paper was kinda hard with both being based on externalities, (one negative in production and the other positive in consumption from what I remember) so they may decide to throw some hard questions on this resit too :frown:

I love externalities! What other questions were there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deflation - This could come up though would be difficult for an AS Paper, but is relevant and because in almost all circumstances everyone is an A2 student so AQA won't be that bothered about throwing us a hard paper

Monetary Policy - Basically dead, unlikely to come up, interest rates remained the same for years, inflation low, not really working, therefore unlikely to come up. Though because it's a hard paper I could see Quantitive Easing coming up, especially because the EU has upped it recently.

Supply Side - I would be genuinely surprised if this didn't come up, very hot on the conservative's political agenda. Changes to taxation, Living Wage very important here. Could also see something related to greater productivity (capital replacing labour) coming up here, while it would cause LR growth, it would mean unemployment, and and could mess up the redistribution of income and wealth (After all we will soon lose our jobs to robots). The productivity one could be difficult, hence why I think it may come up.

Fiscal Policy - Could come up, Osborne not wanting to run a budget deficit, evaluation of neoclassical (free-market) vs Keynesian. We're at 5.1% unemployment, 5% is Natural Rate of Unemployment, so not a lot of spare capacity, so fiscal policy is potentially dangerous.

Brexit - I think this could come up as a scenario, but I'm not sure whether or not this will be ECON2 or ECON4, as I'm writing this I'm feeling more ECON4 with reference to tariffs etc. But if it was to come up I could see a question referring to the effect of Brexit on the UK economy. (Trade falls, but better Balance of Payments, Growth Falls - Less attractive for Foreign Direct Investment, less immigration, Employment - potential impact to firms trading with EU causing unemployment)

China - Again rather relevant, I see two potentials here, effect of Chinese Slowdown on UK Economy, or a slightly trickier one, has the move from an agricultural economy to a manufacturing economy in China benefited the Chinese (While we benefit from cheap stuff, little improvement to standards of living - The rich get richer the poor get poorer)

I think the best way to approach this paper is to get as good as possible on the 25 multiple choice, nail the definition and comparisons (as these should be fairly simple), 12 marker is also fairly simple. Then for the 25 marker very few marks are needed to get an A if the rest of the paper is good.

Thank you so much! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
will we need to know about quanitative easing and how it works for this exam ? like for a 12 marker or something..
Reply 12
Original post by Anymorefor123
will we need to know about quanitative easing and how it works for this exam ? like for a 12 marker or something..

QE is more of an ECON 4 topic so i doubt that there will be a question on this.
Reply 13

I think supply side has come up quite a bit, do you think its better to ignore it and focus on other (topics) or is it too risky? And also may I ask why exactly is fiscal potentially dangerous? Is it due to unemployment already being quite low?
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know I think it's come up a lot because examiners are keen on it, they've really got to do one question on policies, I don't think they'll do monetary as nothing is really happening, so it's between fiscal and supply side and because of the current policies from the govt being supply side I would expect a question on that especially because tax bands changed in April and the living wage has been introduced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there'll be something on the living wage and its effects both supply-side and demand side. This would be a decent context because there's plenty to write about. Not sure on the other but i would love a typical conflict of objectives or assessing the use of fiscal or monetary policy.
How did everyone find it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did extract 2 - felt SO limited for timing .. And have mixed feelings about the MCQ.. Thought it was harder than last year ..

Can anyone who has access to the paper please post the MCQ ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did context 1, does anyone now the sort of points you had to mention?
I did context one, such an easy question. Was wrong about no monetary policy though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending