The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 Thread - AM 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex621
for the inequality question, was it ok to read straight from the graph, or did they want you to do it algebraically? it was 3 marks and there was a huge space for the answer...

Yeah I did it graphically. I think it was 1 mark for each inequality (I ended up with 3). I think there was a lot of space so that people who couldn't do the graph or whose graph didn't turn out good could still attempt the question algebraically. (Plus some people prefer to always just use the algebraic method).
Does anyone know how many marks the n⁴==n³ find p question. Was worth because that's all I could see I've done wrong 😔
Original post by Fugro123
Does anyone know how many marks the n⁴==n³ find p question. Was worth because that's all I could see I've done wrong 😔

Same, I'd like an answer to this if anyone remembers...
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
Same, I'd like an answer to this if anyone remembers...

i think 2 marks
Reply 284
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yeah I did it graphically. I think it was 1 mark for each inequality (I ended up with 3). I think there was a lot of space so that people who couldn't do the graph or whose graph didn't turn out good could still attempt the question algebraically. (Plus some people prefer to always just use the algebraic method).

I'm so mad because I wasted time doing a sign table method when I realised half way through that I could've read off the graph lmao. I guess technically it was a way of double checking my answer so I really hope I get full marks on the graph question to make up for that haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
i think 2 marks

Thanks! That's not so bad then...

Also: on the locus question, I didn't explicitly label the angle between pi/2 and 3pi/4, but I did label the two half-lines which make the angle with the equations of their loci... anyone know how that's likely to be marked?
Thanks! That's not so bad then...

Also: on the locus question, I didn't explicitly label the angle between pi/2 and 3pi/4, but I did label the two half-lines which make the angle with the equations of their loci... anyone know how that's likely to be marked?

i didn't label the angle either but i don't think you have to. i think it just needs to look right.
Anyone struggle with the method of differences question??
Original post by matthewhoare
Anyone struggle with the method of differences question??

Yep, I misread a - as a + in one of the denominators and spent a good 10 minutes staring at it before I figured out what I'd done :redface:
Yep, I misread a - as a + in one of the denominators and spent a good 10 minutes staring at it before I figured out what I'd done :redface:

Can you remember what the question was? Did you manage to get to what they gave you??
Was anyone else pressed for time on this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
Was anyone else pressed for time on this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, couldve done with an extra 20 mins tbh
Original post by matthewhoare
Can you remember what the question was? Did you manage to get to what they gave you??

I think it was this

1n2r+5(2r1)(2r+1)(2r+3)\displaystyle \sum_{1}^{n}\dfrac{2r+5}{(2r-1)(2r+1)(2r+3)}

but I might be wrong. I got it to the given result, but only after screwing up a few times. :redface: I started section B with this to get it over with, and I think my Q7 suffered as a result...
Original post by Fugro123

I expanded fully and used my (n^4) term and equalled it to the (n^3) term. My answer was p=3/2. If I'm remember the right question.
Went through the paper with my teacher today and turns out I did better than what I first thought, probably looking between 57 and 64, think this will be enough for an A on this paper?
Reply 295
Original post by JackMadeley
I expanded fully and used my (n^4) term and equalled it to the (n^3) term. My answer was p=3/2. If I'm remember the right question.

That's what I also did so hopefully right :h:
Reply 296
Original post by jcouchman
Went through the paper with my teacher today and turns out I did better than what I first thought, probably looking between 57 and 64, think this will be enough for an A on this paper?

I think this year with the way people are saying how hard the paper was MEI might be nice and give lower grade boundaries. So potential A but just in case prepare for a medium/high B if they are harsh with the grade boundaries. Thats my best bets hope that some what helps :smile:
If I answered the inequality with one of my asymptotes which was wrong will I get the marks?
Original post by chemari1
If I answered the inequality with one of my asymptotes which was wrong will I get the marks?

I'd imagine you probably would but if you have a strict examiner then probably not. Only because i can't imagine MEI giving error carried forward marks. :/
Im probably wrong btw.

And cmon mateee , focus on your other exams XD or just try and enjoy summer and forget about the exams lol
Original post by PawanAviator
I'd imagine you probably would but if you have a strict examiner then probably not. Only because i can't imagine MEI giving error carried forward marks. :/
Im probably wrong btw.

And cmon mateee , focus on your other exams XD or just try and enjoy summer and forget about the exams lol
they do give error carried forward marks, I will get them I think, now I've seen some mark schemes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending