The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I messed up my Cambridge application just by making silly mistakes, doesn't get worse than that lol.

I'd rather have messed up my application and not have gotten an offer than missing my offer from silly mistakes after having worked my arsenic off for UMS interview prep and A2 grades tbh.
Can someone remember what Q5 was? And post the question here please? Cheers
Reply 622
Original post by C0balt
I'd rather have messed up my application and not have gotten an offer than missing my offer from silly mistakes after having worked my arsenic off for UMS interview prep and A2 grades tbh.

Are you taking step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Are you taking step?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully not!
Reply 624
Original post by C0balt
Thankfully not!

Hmm okay, keep focusing on getting high ums scores in your other exams then. You haven't thrown away your offer after one exam today, I have little doubt that you still have a good chance at an A* in FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm okay, keep focusing on getting high ums scores in your other exams then. You haven't thrown away your offer after one exam today, I have little doubt that you still have a good chance at an A* in FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, not too good with getting high ums in FM because I run out of time and leave my silly mistakes behind! But I'm counting on 600/600 in chemistry too lol
Original post by C0balt

I did 'work my arsenic off' for UMS, interview prep, STEP prep and lots more than that, then got let down by silly mistakes. Didn't even have a chance to make the offer which I could probably make. I would rather have the chance tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
There's death, heard that's slightly worse #firstworldproblems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I wasn't saying it was worse than everything in general XD.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 628
Original post by C0balt
Yeah, not too good with getting high ums in FM because I run out of time and leave my silly mistakes behind! But I'm counting on 600/600 in chemistry too lol

I will applaud you for that don't know how you do it! I am settling with an A this year in Chemistry, I don't see much point in wasting time working for the A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will applaud you for that don't know how you do it! I am settling with an A this year in Chemistry, I don't see much point in wasting time working for the A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well unit 5 will be a little difficult but fingers crossed! You're a mathmo, you don't need chemistry! Instead you've got that evil STEP :afraid:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's any point in any mathmos going for the third A* tbh.
Reply 631
Original post by C0balt
Well unit 5 will be a little difficult but fingers crossed! You're a mathmo, you don't need chemistry! Instead you've got that evil STEP :afraid:

STEP is a beautiful but excruciatingly painful exam which I am not very good at :getscoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 632
I don't think there's any point in any mathmos going for the third A* tbh.

No, I really don't see the point in wasting time I could put towards step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
STEP is a beautiful but excruciatingly painful exam which I am not very good at :getscoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not true! I've seen your scores in some of your mocks, impressive stuff :smile:.
Reply 634
Original post by Anon123hahaha
Can someone remember what Q5 was? And post the question here please? Cheers

Hi there, I can't remember the question exactly but I believe this is roughly what it was:

Question 5 - Part A

Express 1(x+1)(x+2)\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)} in the form Ax+1+Bx+2\dfrac{A}{x+1} + \dfrac{B}{x+2}.   [1] \ \ [1]

Solution

If we multiply both sides by (x+1)(x+2)(x+1)(x+2), we get 1=A(x+2)+B(x+1)1 = A(x+2) + B(x+1). By substituting in x=1x = -1 and x=2x = -2, we can find the values of the constants AA and BB. You could also do this by inspection but it's always better to show a method of some sort.

The answer is: 1(x+1)(x+2)=1x+11x+2\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)} = \dfrac{1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+2}

Question 5 - Part B

Using the substitution u=dydxu = \dfrac{dy}{dx}, solve the differential equation d2ydx2+1(x+1)(x+2)dydx=x+2x+1\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} + \dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)}\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}, where y=1y = 1 and dydx=4\dfrac{dy}{dx}=4 when x=0x = 0.

Give your answer in the form y=f(x) y = f(x).   [11] \ \ [11]

Solution

Noting that dudx=d2ydx2\dfrac{du}{dx} = \dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}, we can rewrite the differential equation as:

dudx+1(x+1)(x+2)u=x+2x+1\dfrac{du}{dx} + \dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)}u = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}.

The original second order differential equation has now been transformed into a first order differential equation of the form dudx+Pu=Q\dfrac{du}{dx} + Pu = Q, which can be solved analytically.

This differential equation still looks quite tricky to solve, but that is where our answer to part a) comes in. If we rewrite it again as dudx+(1x+11x+2)u=x+2x+1\dfrac{du}{dx} + \left(\dfrac{1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+2}\right)u = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}, we can now find an integrating factor very easily:

I=e(1x+11x+2)dx  =e(ln(x+1)ln(x+2))  =eln(x+1x+2) I = e^{\displaystyle\int\left(\frac{1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+2}\right) dx}\ \ = e^{\displaystyle \bigg(\ln(x+1) -\ln(x+2)\bigg)} \ \ =e^{\displaystyle\ln \left(\frac {x+1}{x+2}\right)}

I=x+1x+2\therefore I = \dfrac {x+1}{x+2}

Multiplying throughout by the integrating factor, our first order differential equation becomes:

x+1x+2dudx+1(x+2)2u=1    ddx(x+1x+2u)=1\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}\dfrac{du}{dx} + \dfrac{1}{(x+2)^2}u = 1 \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \dfrac{d}{dx}\bigg(\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}u\bigg) = 1

If we then integrate both sides of this expression with respect to xx, we get x+1x+2u=x+C\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}u = x + C which can be rearranged to u=(x+C)(x+2)x+1u = \dfrac{(x + C)(x+2)}{x+1}.

Now, going back to the information given in the question, we know that u=dydxu = \dfrac{dy}{dx}, and dydx=4\dfrac{dy}{dx}=4 when x=0x = 0. Using these bits of information, and our expression for uu, we can find the value of CC. It turns out that C=2C=2, so:

dydx=(x+2)2x+1\dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{(x + 2)^2}{x+1}

To find an expression for yy, we need to integrate again. In its current form, the RHS of the above equation cannot be integrated. Using algebraic long division, we can rewrite it in a form that can:

dydx=x+3+1x+1    y=12x2+3x+ln(x+1)+D\dfrac{dy}{dx}= x + 3 + \dfrac{1}{x+1}\ \ \Rightarrow \ \ y = \dfrac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + \ln(x+1) + D

Using the boundary conditions y=1y = 1 when x=0x = 0, it can be shown that D=1D=1. The solution of the differential equation in the form y=f(x) y = f(x), subject to the boundary conditions given, is therefore:

y=12x2+3x+ln(x+1)+1y = \dfrac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + \ln(x+1) + 1

Hope that helps anyone who is unsure :smile:

EDIT: You could also use a substitution to perform the final integration. In which case, your answer will be in a different form to mine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 635
Original post by sam_97
Hi there, I can't remember the question exactly but I believe this is roughly what it was:

5)a) Express 1(x+1)(x+2)\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)} in the form Ax+1+Bx+2\dfrac{A}{x+1} + \dfrac{B}{x+2}.   [1] \ \ [1]

Solution

If we multiply both sides by (x+1)(x+2)(x+1)(x+2), we get 1=A(x+2)+B(x+1)1 = A(x+2) + B(x+1). By substituting in x=1x = -1 and x=2x = -2, we can find the values of the constants AA and BB. You could also do this by inspection but it's always better to show a method of some sort.

The answer is 1(x+1)(x+2)=1x+11x+2\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)} = \dfrac{1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+2}

5)b) Using the substitution u=dydxu = \dfrac{dy}{dx}, solve the differential equation d2ydx2+1(x+1)(x+2)dydx=x+2x+1\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} + \dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)}\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}, where dydx=4\dfrac{dy}{dx}=4 when x=0x = 0, and y=1y = 1 when x=0x = 0. Give your answer in the form y=f(x) y = f(x).   [11] \ \ [11]

Solution

Noting that dudx=d2ydx2\dfrac{du}{dx} = \dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}, we can rewrite the differential equation as dudx+1(x+1)(x+2)u=x+2x+1\dfrac{du}{dx} + \dfrac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)}u = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}. The original second order differential equation has now been transformed into a first order differential equation of the form dudx+Pu=Q\dfrac{du}{dx} + Pu = Q, which can be solved analytically.

This differential equation still looks quite tricky to solve, but that is where our answer to part a) comes in. If we rewrite it again as dudx+(1x+11x+2)u=x+2x+1\dfrac{du}{dx} + \left(\dfrac{1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+2}\right)u = \dfrac{x+2}{x+1}, we can now find an integrating factor very easily:

I=e(1x+11x+2)dx  =e(ln(x+1)ln(x+2))  =eln(x+1x+2) I = e^{\displaystyle\int\left(\frac{1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+2}\right) dx}\ \ = e^{\displaystyle \bigg(\ln(x+1) -\ln(x+2)\bigg)} \ \ =e^{\displaystyle\ln \left(\frac {x+1}{x+2}\right)}

I=x+1x+2\therefore I = \dfrac {x+1}{x+2}

Multiplying throughout by the integrating factor, our first order differential equation becomes:

x+1x+2dudx+1(x+2)2u=1    ddx(x+1x+2u)=1\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}\dfrac{du}{dx} + \dfrac{1}{(x+2)^2}u = 1 \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \dfrac{d}{dx}\bigg(\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}u\bigg) = 1

If we then integrate both sides of this expression with respect to xx, we get x+1x+2u=x+C\dfrac{x+1}{x+2}u = x + C which can be rearranged as u=(x+C)(x+2)x+1u = \dfrac{(x + C)(x+2)}{x+1}.

Now, going back to the information given in the question, we know that u=dydxu = \dfrac{dy}{dx}, and dydx=4\dfrac{dy}{dx}=4 when x=0x = 0. Using these bits of information, and our expression for uu, we can find the value of CC. It turns out that C=2C=2, so:

dydx=(x+2)2x+1\dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{(x + 2)^2}{x+1}

To find an expression for yy, we need to integrate again. In its current form, the RHS of the above equation cannot be integrated. Using algebraic long division, we can rewrite it in a form that can:

dydx=x+3+1x+1    y=12x2+3x+ln(x+1)+D\dfrac{dy}{dx}= x + 3 + \dfrac{1}{x+1}\ \ \Rightarrow \ \ y = \dfrac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + \ln(x+1) + D

Using the boundary conditions y=1y = 1 when x=0x = 0, it can be shown that D=1D=1. The solution of the differential equation in the form y=f(x) y = f(x), subject to the boundary conditions given, is therefore:

y=12x2+3x+ln(x+1)+1y = \dfrac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + \ln(x+1) + 1

Hope that helps anyone who is unsure :smile:

In the last few step I integrated by substitution but then I end up with a different c but I think it simplifies down to the same amswear do you think I would still get full marks on that question
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 636
That's not true! I've seen your scores in some of your mocks, impressive stuff :smile:.

I fluctuate a lot I guess, if the pure section on the paper is bad I won't meet my offer, if it is alright then hopefully I will.
Reply 637
Original post by Hjyu1
In the last few step I integrated by substitution but then I end up with a different c but I think it simplifies down to the same amswear do you think I would still get full marks on that question

It sounds like your answer is the same as mine, written in a different form. In which case, you'll definitely get full marks :smile:
Reply 638
Original post by Hjyu1

I did the same thing, v=x+1 leads to y=(x+1)22+2(x+1)+ln(x+1)32 y = \frac{(x+1)^2}{2} + 2(x+1) + ln(x+1) - \frac{3}{2} which should get full marks still.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 639
I did the same thing, v=x+1 leads to frac(x+1)22+2(x+1)+ln(x+1)frac32 frac{(x+1)^2}{2} + 2(x+1) + ln(x+1) - frac{3}{2} which should get full marks still.

Yeah that's it I got -3/2 for c so yeah hopefully the marker sees what I've done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending