The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher after huge time gap.

Hi just wondering what the red tape and rules about doing my advanced higher after a massive length of time from my Higher- I think it was 2004 I did it.

It's not the return to studying that I'm worried about as I've done a lot of that in the meantime, and I often read biology.

It's just the sooner the better I get the UCAS points in biology and it would be far quicker doing the advanced higher than starting the A level from scratch.

Would my old higher still be "in date" or am I starting again?

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DaveAvon
Hi just wondering what the red tape and rules about doing my advanced higher after a massive length of time from my Higher- I think it was 2004 I did it.

It's not the return to studying that I'm worried about as I've done a lot of that in the meantime, and I often read biology.

It's just the sooner the better I get the UCAS points in biology and it would be far quicker doing the advanced higher than starting the A level from scratch.

Would my old higher still be "in date" or am I starting again?

Cheers.

Advanced Highers and Highers are independent qualifications. You don't need to have done the higher to sit AH. The AH only assumes knowledge from higher level, so as long as you still remember most bits and pieces and have kept up the reading, you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Asklepios
Advanced Highers and Highers are independent qualifications. You don't need to have done the higher to sit AH. The AH only assumes knowledge from higher level, so as long as you still remember most bits and pieces and have kept up the reading, you should be fine! :smile:

Ah....that is interesting. And very beneficial for my situation.

Am I right in thinking with A levels you had to do the AS first before the A2 would count?
Ah....that is interesting. And very beneficial for my situation.

Am I right in thinking with A levels you had to do the AS first before the A2 would count?

You'd have to do both, but can do in same year.

@princepieman is doing A levels in one year at a college, maybe he can advise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Asklepios
You'd have to do both, but can do in same year.

@princepieman is doing A levels in one year at a college, maybe he can advise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive just done the A level for English Language in one year ( have an exam tomorrow 😮) but that was getting on a crash course through my work. I'll look into others too though.

One more question- is it possible to do Advanced Highers as an independent candidate and distance learning? A Google search hasn't brought much up. I might email the SQA and colleges near me.

Thanks for the replies btw.
Ive just done the A level for English Language in one year ( have an exam tomorrow 😮) but that was getting on a crash course through my work. I'll look into others too though.

One more question- is it possible to do Advanced Highers as an independent candidate and distance learning? A Google search hasn't brought much up. I might email the SQA and colleges near me.

Thanks for the replies btw.

AFAIK, you need to be enrolled in a college. You can then just learn the course yourself using whatever resources and the learning objectives. But would still need to go in to sit NABs, and the final exam. You'd also need to carry out an investigation so would need access to a lab/fieldwork

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending