The Student Room Group

Ill before exams

To summarise as I don't wish to bore anyone with my health:

On Tuesday and on Friday I sat my law paper whilst I had an extremely bad throat infection causing me to lose concentration every few minutes and I kept needing to cough and clear my throat. I felt somewhat sick throughout these exams too.

Tomorrow I sit Unit 1 for my Classics AS. I woke up last night with a badly swollen throat, blocked sinuses, dizziness and I felt exceptionally weak in my arms and legs. I'm not sure what to do if I sit my exam tomorrow and I still feel like this, considering I'm technically at a disadvantage due to my health.

Advice please?
I think before your exams make either a teacher or exam invigilator aware that you're ill, HOWEVER, my friend in our AS english lit exam broke her leg and she needed doctor/hospital proof that she had and that way she got sympathy marks.

It sounds to me however, (I am no doctor of course) you kinda have a strong cold/flu. What I suggest is you keep hydrated and well rested, but of course continue to study but don't push yourself as hard, take breaks too.
I also enjoy to sweat my illness out so steam your face or even eat a curry.

Here is some advice quoted off the NHS - flu - treatment section.
Managing your symptoms at home, you can look after yourself at home by resting, keeping warm and drinking plenty of water to avoid dehydration.If you feel unwell and have a fever, you can take paracetamol or anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen to lower your temperature and relieve aches. Children under 16 shouldn't be given aspirin.

Good Luck with your exams, don't forget how important your health is over your exams. Health > Exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Muttski

On Tuesday and on Friday I sat my law paper whilst I had an extremely bad throat infection causing me to lose concentration every few minutes and I kept needing to cough and clear my throat. I felt somewhat sick throughout these exams too.

Tomorrow I sit Unit 1 for my Classics AS. I woke up last night with a badly swollen throat, blocked sinuses, dizziness and I felt exceptionally weak in my arms and legs. I'm not sure what to do if I sit my exam tomorrow and I still feel like this, considering I'm technically at a disadvantage due to my health.

Advice please?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4100183
Original post by Muttski

Advice please?

Are you sitting your AS Levels or A2 Levels? Either way, you should ask your school to submit a special consideration (for extenuating circumstances) to the exam boards for the Tuesday and Friday exams which you have already done. You should go to your GP and get a letter verifying that you were ill and give it to your school so that they can send it to the exam boards. As for your exam tomorrow, it depends how bad you feel. You could sit it and submit a special consideration as with the other ones or you could not sit it. A special consideration can only get you up to 5% more marks on an exam paper. If you decide not to sit the exam and you are in your AS year you can sit it next year. If you don't sit that exam BUT you have done or do in the future (e.g. you do Classics unit 2 next week when you feel better) the other units of that subject then if you submit a special consideration saying you were absent through illness then the exam board MAY be able to award you a grade for that exam based on your results for the other units/ your predicted grade. If you are doing your A2 Levels and have already applied to university you will need to inform your firm and insurance choice universities that you've been ill so that they can take that into consideration when your results come out. Good luck! I hope it works out for you. :smile:
Hi all, thanks for the advice.

I've decided to talk to the exam officer after the exam tomorrow and let her know about this (she did ask me if I was okay Friday, but I didn't really have time to explain as I was trying to remember everything for law - last minute cramming heh). Hopefully she can provide a good solution for this. If she needs doctor evidence, no problem with that!

Original post by Sapphire321
Are you sitting your AS Levels or A2 Levels?

2 of my courses are AS. One is a 2 year course only.
Original post by Muttski
Hi all, thanks for the advice.

I've decided to talk to the exam officer after the exam tomorrow and let her know about this (she did ask me if I was okay Friday, but I didn't really have time to explain as I was trying to remember everything for law - last minute cramming heh). Hopefully she can provide a good solution for this. If she needs doctor evidence, no problem with that!

2 of my courses are AS. One is a 2 year course only.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107247
Use the new sticky for guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest