The Student Room Group

12 MILLION Turks say they’ll come to the UK once EU deal is signed

In the most extensive survey of its kind, almost 16 per cent of Turkish adults said they would consider re-locating to the UK once their country becomes a full member of the EU.

According to the poll, which saw more than 2,600 adults interviewed across all 27 provinces of Turkey, most of those keen to come to Britain are either unemployed or students, raising the prospect of a migrant influx which would place an unprecedented strain on the UK’s struggling public services, including the NHS.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672563/Turkey-EU-Britain-exclusive-poll-crime-figures-Turks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Truth Now
In the most extensive survey of its kind, almost 16 per cent of Turkish adults said they would consider re-locating to the UK once their country becomes a full member of the EU.

According to the poll, which saw more than 2,600 adults interviewed across all 27 provinces of Turkey, most of those keen to come to Britain are either unemployed or students, raising the prospect of a migrant influx which would place an unprecedented strain on the UK’s struggling public services, including the NHS.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672563/Turkey-EU-Britain-exclusive-poll-crime-figures-Turks

If only we had a veto to stop them joining.
If only.

Oh wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Read More:

Right wingers hate the NHS for years suddenly come to its defence LOL.
Original post by Bornblue
If only we had a veto to stop them joining.
If only.

Oh wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so naive it's unreal.

You do realise that if we use our veto then other countries start veto'ing our proposals too, right?

There's always a huge cost for veto'ing legislation.
Reply 4
Turkey aren't going to become a full member of the EU. It gets less likely every year, especially with their descent into petty authoritarianism.
Reply 5
Ignoring Blue's point about being able to veto entry, i have to say that if Turkey was ever permitted free movement with the EU i would be very strongly for exit no matter what the cost.
Original post by Supersaps

You do realise that if we use our veto then other countries start veto'ing our proposals too, right?

Vetoes don't exist over legislation.
Vetoes relate to accepting a country as a member.
If we don't accept Turkey as a member, they won't become one.

If other countries wanted to veto our proposals they'd do it anyway. A lot of countries are probably against this.

I personally also think Turkey shouldn't be joining the EU, but this is just blatant scaremongering.

Turkey has been wanting to join the EU for years and haven't been allowed. It was a non-issue until the Murdoch Media decided to wheel it out to rile up the Leave crowd. They aren't joining the EU.

It was a survey of 2685 people across 27 provinces. Now, I'm no statistician, but I'm fairly sure that sample size is far too small to generalize to a population of 78 million.

It was a survey commissioned by the Daily ****ing Express. Of course it makes the EU look bad, that's what they paid for.

12 million Turks DID NOT say they'll come to the UK. The question was "...would you, or any member of your family, consider relocating to Britain?" Firstly there's the keyword there, consider. You'd probably get a similar proportion of Brits that would consider moving to Turkey. I'd consider moving to Sweden right now, but I'm not going to move to Sweden. Then there's also "or any member of your family". If one person in a family of 5 would consider moving here, that's 5 people answering "yes" but only one person that'd consider moving here.

The article says "There are also nine million privately-owned firearms registered to its citizens." How is this relevant in any way? There are 300 million privately-owned firearms in the US, but I don't see anyone getting upset about American immigrants.

This is just like when some cancerous tabloid said that some absurdly large proportion of British Muslims wanted Sharia law in the UK. Of course that wasn't true, but it was still repeated ad nauseam by xenophobes because it supports their views. And why not? Nobody seems to bother checking the facts, so you can spread all the lies you want.

Screw your head on and start thinking critically, please. Telling lies just makes you look silly and you lose whatever credibility you had.
(edited 7 years ago)
Vetoes don't exist over legislation.
Vetoes relate to accepting a country as a member.
If we don't accept Turkey as a member, they won't become one.

Incorrect.

Luxemborg Compromise
Treaty change
Original post by Maker
Right wingers hate the NHS for years suddenly come to its defence LOL.

I hope after we have had a Vote Leave that the right wingers will remember the issues that are important to British people that they have learned from this campaign:

- saving the NHS
- too much congestion for housing and public services
- low pay for British workers
Incorrect.

Luxemborg Compromise
Treaty change

Turkey is not joining the EU.
You're scaremongering. We have a veto as does every other eu member state.

Even Boris Johnson said they would not joint the EU. It's simply not happening.
Original post by JordanL_
If other countries wanted to veto our proposals they'd do it anyway. A lot of countries are probably against this.

I personally also think Turkey shouldn't be joining the EU, but this is just blatant scaremongering.

Turkey has been wanting to join the EU for years and haven't been allowed. It was a non-issue until the Murdoch Media decided to wheel it out to rile up the Leave crowd.

Unbelievable. How can you be this politically unaware?

It's a massive political issue because Turkey now has gigantic influence over the EU vis a vis the refugee crisis.

Currently, that influence has been worth 6 billion Euros, set to rise dramatically and is giving Turkish citizens visa-free access to the EU.

But yep, definitely part of a Murdock Media conspiracy.
Yaaaaay more qualified workers! :h:
Turkey is not joining the EU.
You're scaremongering. We have a veto as does every other eu member state.

Even Boris Johnson said they would not joint the EU. It's simply not happening.

You're right. Turkey is not joining the EU as things stand.

However, they have a gigantic amount of influence over the EU and if that doesn't terrify you, nothing will.
Daily Express, oh boy!

Isn't that the newspaper which praised Putin for being the 'hero' in Syria, despite bombing civilians? -_-
LoL British newspapers keep washing your brains.

However, they have a gigantic amount of influence over the EU and if that doesn't terrify you, nothing will.

Having influence doesn't mean they'll join.

Lots of countries will have influence over the UK if we leave, because we'll find ourselves isolated.

Read More:

We have enough kebab shops already thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're point is that 12 million Turks will come to the Uk yet now you're admitting they won't join the EU?

No Turkey don't terrify me.
Original post by JordanL_
Having influence doesn't mean they'll join.

Lots of countries will have influence over the UK if we leave, because we'll find ourselves isolated.

As a Euro-phile with lefty sympathies i'm curious.. if Turkey ever were permitted to join.. would you tolerate it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending