The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A Breadth of Physics (24th May 2016) Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Priyesh_
Does anyone have the old spec june 2015 papers for mechanics and electrons waves and photons ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4099059
Reply 81
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Yes, because that's how they used to do it

Thanks for the reply.
Reply 83
Original post by Infinity999
I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I was surprised not to see a Breadth of Physics discussion for the OCR A exam. So I thought I'd make one.

Here are some resources I looked at in the past few months:

. http://twyfordphysics.blogspot.co.uk/ ( this has most of the waves notes and electricity notes for the new spec.)
. PhysicsandMathsTutor.com (most people use this and if you haven't already please do!)
. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517229 (OCR A Physics A* resources by @ForgottenApple )
. http://www.saintolaves.net/uploads/ckeditor/attachments/999/AS_Revision_Checklist.pdf

I made a thread of the practical methods for the exam, feel free to check it out and contribute:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4100393
Original post by voltz
I made a thread of the practical methods for the exam, feel free to check it out and contribute:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4100393

Very good!
Reply 85
Does anyone have a list of the definitions that you're learning?
I've got a really bad feeling about this exam. When I've been doing the specimen papers I've been getting around 8/20 for the multiple choice questions and about 50% for the whole paper, it's good to hear that that's what most people are getting though. Although this exam will be quite difficult (I think) at least we have another two weeks until the depth in physics paper.
Thank god all you guys are feeling the same way I am- we did the spec paper in class and most people got like 50%ish lol (cry)
Original post by violavenisis
Thank god all you guys are feeling the same way I am- we did the spec paper in class and most people got like 50%ish lol (cry)

Physics is by far my worst subject, but finding this thread has calmed me down a bit haha.

We went through the specimen papers in class and the answers on the mark scheme was wrong. My teachers sent an email to OCR about it.
Original post by Rockyboy
We went through the specimen papers in class and the answers on the mark scheme was wrong. My teachers sent an email to OCR about it.

Was it the question about lifting the swimmer up from the water? My teacher noticed that as well- the power you calculated in the second part of the question could have been three different values depending on what formulae you used :unimpressed:
Reply 91
Hello everyone, I am also doing the new Physics Spec. I have talked to A level Physics Online. Cowen Physics. My teachers at school. They have all said the same thing.

The number of people who got As last year will be unchanged. A paper has to differentiate between those who are achieving a grade A B C D etc. To be honest the Specimen was not too bad. However the practice papers were something else. The real paper will be like the specimen. I highly doubt it would be like the practice ones.
Reply 92
Someone invite me to the groupchat?
Original post by mahmzo
Hello everyone, I am also doing the new Physics Spec. I have talked to A level Physics Online. Cowen Physics. My teachers at school. They have all said the same thing.

The number of people who got As last year will be unchanged. A paper has to differentiate between those who are achieving a grade A B C D etc. To be honest the Specimen was not too bad. However the practice papers were something else. The real paper will be like the specimen. I highly doubt it would be like the practice ones.

Can't quite tell what you're saying- I thought that the practice papers that we have been given are a lot nicer than the specimen paper?
Reply 94
Can't quite tell what you're saying- I thought that the practice papers that we have been given are a lot nicer than the specimen paper?

You are telling me the paper with the girl being lifted with a rope and the aeroplane paper, is easier than then paper asking about the locomotive going around the track and the depth paper on the sign hanging from the wall?

The specimen papers are supposed to be set out exactly how the real paper will be like. I also have sources that the difficulty will be similar to the specimen lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo
You are telling me the paper with the girl being lifted with a rope and the aeroplane paper. Is easier than then paper asking about the locomotive going around the track and the depth paper on the sign hanging from the wall.

If so specimen papers are supposed to be set out exactly how the real paper will be like. I also have sources that the difficulty will be similar to the specimen lol.

Ah, I think I'm getting mixed up- basically the paper with the girl being lifted with the rope was absolute hell, but the train going around the track paper was nice. My teachers kind of created a mock paper and took about bits and pieces from separate papers (don't really know why).

If the paper is like the one with the girl/rope and the horrible potential divider Q at the end then I am in for a treat on Tuesday. RIP good grades lol

p.s. what sources???
Reply 96
Ah, I think I'm getting mixed up- basically the paper with the girl being lifted with the rope was absolute hell, but the train going around the track paper was nice. My teachers kind of created a mock paper and took about bits and pieces from separate papers (don't really know why).

If the paper is like the one with the girl/rope and the horrible potential divider Q at the end then I am in for a treat on Tuesday. RIP good grades lol

p.s. what sources???

Nah dont worry. That rope one was the practice paper. They made is especially hard so it could be used for mocks etc.

Sources.
A level Physics Online --> asked OCR
CowenPhysics --> Another Physics teacher
MathsAndPhysicsTutor
Original post by mahmzo
Nah dont worry. That rope one was the practice paper. They made is especially hard so it could be used for mocks etc.

Sources.
A level Physics Online --> asked OCR
CowenPhysics --> Another Physics teacher
MathsAndPhysicsTutor

Wait so the paper is going to be like the one with the train in? Thank god. (Although I still had some trouble with that paper- mostly from either overcomplicating it like that vectors question underneath the displacement/time graph, or making stupid mistakes/not knowing the content well enough still).
Reply 98
Wait so the paper is going to be like the one with the train in? Thank god. (Although I still had some trouble with that paper- mostly from either overcomplicating it like that vectors question underneath the displacement/time graph, or making stupid mistakes/not knowing the content well enough still).

Well practice is all i can say. What do you find as your hardest topic?
Original post by mahmzo
Well practice is all i can say. What do you find as your hardest topic?

Probably electricity (in particular- voltage when shared over components, I often struggle with interpreting circuits) or mechanics questions involving angles. I just can't seem to wrap my head around them.

Quick Reply

Latest