The Student Room Group

GCSE Astronomy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ells11
Did anyone get the graph were it said something like describe the curve but the graph was a straight line???

No I don't seem to remember that, what question was that?
Reply 61
Original post by Andreahdlfuente
No I don't seem to remember that, what question was that?

I don't remember the exact question but it shaped like a pan and then asked the size of something using the graph as well as describing the curve, I think it was the page after the equation of time section
Original post by Ells11
I don't remember the exact question but it shaped like a pan and then asked the size of something using the graph as well as describing the curve, I think it was the page after the equation of time section

Was it the question about finding the size of the planet?
Reply 63
Was it the question about finding the size of the planet?

Proberly
Reply 64
I found the hole thing hard
I remember that question. You probably just needed to say it's constant, then there's a dip/drop, and then it rises back to the original height again. It was only a one marker so you only needed to say something simple.
Reply 66
Wat was the last question on this paper
Reply 67
What was the last question on this paper
Reply 68
What was the last question on the paper
What do you think the A* grade boundary will be? Bearing in mind that the A* has always been low even for 'easy' paper
Original post by Holly2719
What do you think the A* grade boundary will be? Bearing in mind that the A* has always been low even for 'easy' paper

I reckon it'll be high 80's
Original post by ThatAlmondNut
I remember that question. You probably just needed to say it's constant, then there's a dip/drop, and then it rises back to the original height again. It was only a one marker so you only needed to say something simple.

what did you write for why sun wasn't completely covered by the moon? also you had to draw an arrow on the direction of two sunspots movement???
Original post by Ujjwal Dhakal
what did you write for why sun wasn't completely covered by the moon? also you had to draw an arrow on the direction of two sunspots movement???

The sun wasn't completely covered by the moon because the orbit of the moon is elliptical, so when it's at the position o a solar eclipse the moon is farther away than its mean distance from the Earth, therefore it appears smaller, and the Sun is slightly less than 400 times away than the moon so the geometry isn't exactly precise. For the sunspots, the arrows should be pointing right inwards towards the equator of the Sun, because the latitude decreases throughout the solar cycle.
Original post by ThatAlmondNut
I reckon it'll be high 80's

Out of 120?
Reply 74
The sun wasn't completely covered by the moon because the orbit of the moon is elliptical, so when it's at the position o a solar eclipse the moon is farther away than its mean distance from the Earth, therefore it appears smaller, and the Sun is slightly less than 400 times away than the moon so the geometry isn't exactly precise. For the sunspots, the arrows should be pointing right inwards towards the equator of the Sun, because the latitude decreases throughout the solar cycle.

For the how the sunspots move across the Sun i put them almost pointing directly to the right because 1 solar cycle is 11 years and the rotational period is only 25 days at the equator so the movement towards the equator will hardly be visible over a few days
Original post by nahyr
For the how the sunspots move across the Sun i put them almost pointing directly to the right because 1 solar cycle is 11 years and the rotational period is only 25 days at the equator so the movement towards the equator will hardly be visible over a few days

Yeah maybe. I think both answers could be right though. Essentially the sunspots are moving to the right so... I do think that, because they included the line of the equator in the diagram they did expect you to show that they get closer to the equator, though....maybe not, but that is just what I thought.

i swear you had to talk about umbra and penumbra as well as the how moon was inclined by 5degree to the orbit of the sun. also what did you put for, why venus didnt go through the transit often?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ujjwal Dhakal
i swear you had to talk about umbra and penumbra as well as the how moon was inclined by 5degree to the orbit of the sun. also what did you put for, why venus didnt go through the transit often?

If you had to talk about the umbra and penumbra it would ask you about why some people see partial solar eclipses and why others see total solar eclipses, I think. Um, I put because Venus' orbit is slightly inclined to the ecliptic (remember it can be seen in the Zodiacal band which is +-8 degrees from the ecliptic) so it won't always line up in inferior conjunction with the ecliptic.
Reply 78

I put because of the observers meridian at different countries
Original post by Ells11
I put because of the observers meridian at different countries

I guess you could say that, but you'd also have to mention the different latitudes of the different people.

Quick Reply

Latest